Bag Work & Injury Prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag Work & Injury Prevention

I go to a gym that has a full kickboxing gym and work on the bags about 3 times a week. I am using Grappling/MMA gloves. I was wondering if this is too much stress on my hands. Should I be using boxing gloves to lessen the impact on my fists? I dont want to have arthritis or any other problems when I get older. What are some problems that a person needs to look out for when doing heavy bag work?
    Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Gym
    Port Jefferson Martial Arts - My Blog

The only thing you would have problems with are your wrists. But if you wrists have the proper support from the gloves there shouldn't be a problem. In Enshin we use the Thai bag bareknuckled and I haven't had any issues.

Edit: and where do you train?

Comment

i would suggest using bag gloves and wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
        i would suggest using bag gloves and wraps.
        Why, if his wrists have the proper support, does he anything else?

Comment

I studied Kempo at USSD for 3 years and I boxed at Heavy Hitters for 4 months. Now I just practice all my striking at Finest Fitness in Patchogue. Its a gym like Golds or Ballys and it has a full boxing gym. I usually go late at night (midnight-2am) because nobodies in my way.

ojgsxr6 even though you dont have any problems now do you think it will lead to some in the future? I was thinking about this because of hearing about Japanese conditioning on makiwara boards and such. I heard that most of the older masters have arthritic hands from punishing thier hands too much. Also when I was at Heavy Hitters they thought I should use boxing gloves mostly and use MMA gloves only when training for an event or just sparingly.

Comment

Truthfully, I haven't thought that far ahead. The thing is I want to condition my hands and body for full contact karate. So you may want a little more protection, but I know I've seen bag gloves that just seem to offer wrist support.

Edit: here they are:
            http://store.titleboxing.com/evergel-glove-wraps.html
            Last edited by ojgsxr6; 3/15/2006 2:25am, .

Comment

Originally posted by ojgsxr6
              Why, if his wrists have the proper support, does he anything else?

Wraps do more than just support the wrist dude. They protect the bones and tendons in the hand as well as the thumb.

It's a good idea to wear wraps and gloves when going hard. Plus wearing heavy gloves is a good way to build up your arms.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateJon
                Wraps do more than just support the wrist dude. They protect the bones and tendons in the hand as well as the thumb.

It's a good idea to wear wraps and gloves when going hard. Plus wearing heavy gloves is a good way to build up your arms.
                I gotta concur with that one. I found out the hard way back in January just before leaving my BJJ school.

I was at the gym punching a wavemaster... yeah, it's ghay, not a heavy bag, but a wavemaster. Anyways, since it was a wavemaster, I figured I wouldn't need any wraps. Anyways, that thing was kinda old and if you punch it hard enough, you hit the plastic center of it (which is really hard)...

... and I fucked up my right hand.

I didn't bend my wrist or anything for that matter, but my right hand got swollen. I couldn't even open a water faucet for two weeks, and since stupid me have no health insurance, I have to though it up. Maybe I'm too old for this shit (I'm 36), and I'm developing arthritis, I dunno. Anyways, I developed a small lumb on the backside of my hand, between the methacarpals of my small and ring fingers.

I've been massaging my right hand, and more or less I have some mobility back, but it hurts sometimes. The stick drills at my escrima class seem to has helped a lot, and I've been using mexican wraps (and ACE wraps sometimes) and gloves for the last three weeks on a 60lbs bag at the gym.

My right hand still hurts when I move it in certain directions, but with the wraps and gloves, I can hit the bag no problem. I would never, ever, ever going to be taking chances again without wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by elnyka
                  I didn't bend my wrist or anything for that matter, but my right hand got swollen. I couldn't even open a water faucet for two weeks, and since stupid me have no health insurance, I have to though it up.
                  Tough break (no pun intended). As a Canuck who lived in Texas for 4 years, let me say that it still astonishes me how many people in the US have no health insurance. You get mad props for having the balls to do MA with no insurance - if I had no insurance, I'd walk around wrapped in bubble wrap out of sheer terror.

Comment

Mexican style handwraps and bag gloves for injury prevention.

Comment

I tend to wear wraps and 16oz gloves when i hit the bags.

i use 16 ozers because then when i take them off or switch for something lighter I feel like i can move like lightening (not that i can't with them, but i move like faster lightening without them)

Also, my hands are fairly fucked up from previous injuries and make it feel pretty damn necessary for me to at least wear wraps for finger support as I can't close my hands as tightly as I used to before my injuries.

Sometimes I hit the bags with just wraps, wouldnt want to do it without them in all honesty as I feel like I'd break or rebreak something. Besides, i can hit harder with wraps (and or gloves) then i can without them, and i like the feeling of hitting hard. I think a lot of people who never wear wraps/gloves unconciously hold back a little bit and don't learn to maximize their power. I find that the more protected my hands are, the more willing I am to hit harder, thereby becoming better at hitting harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
                        Tough break (no pun intended). As a Canuck who lived in Texas for 4 years, let me say that it still astonishes me how many people in the US have no health insurance. You get mad props for having the balls to do MA with no insurance - if I had no insurance, I'd walk around wrapped in bubble wrap out of sheer terror.
                        I know Grashnak, I'm one of the many withouth health insurance. I guess it's a gamble people take down here. Most people get by and actually win in the gamble, but it's only when something really bad happens that the gamble of not having insurance becomes a russian roulette. :dead:

My dad lived in the US for 15 years without ever having insurance. He has his right hand kinda fucked up cuz of using machinery, but fortunately, he retired and moved back to Nicaragua where health is more affordable (and where he can live with his retirement $$$ much more comfortably than here). I've been here since 1989, and I've had health coverage in just a couple of occasions.

Hehehehe, I'd like to think I have big balls for doing MA without insurance, but that must also come cuz I have brains the size of a peanut. :5dunce: :tard: :icon_razz

I stopped BJJ cuz of money reasons, but also cuz my balls finally shrinked. I got scared big time when I screwed up my hand (plus I almost bursted my bursa in my right big toe at my last BJJ class.) :eusa_doh:

Those two things kinda pushed some sense in me, and I stopped for the time being. Fortunately, I'm getting a health insurance (50% paid by my contracting job) in a month or two (plus I'm gonna get a cheap accidental coverage plan). I took two minor injuries to realize how risky is to be withouth health insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaTrocity
                          Also, my hands are fairly fucked up from previous injuries and make it feel pretty damn necessary for me to at least wear wraps for finger support as I can't close my hands as tightly as I used to before my injuries.
                          Kat, how exactly does your injures prevent you from making a properly closed fist?

I'm curious cuz I have a similar problem with my left hand. No matter how much I try, when I close my left fist, the second knuckle of my middle finger sticks out a bit (that doesn't happen with my right hand)... I dislocated most of my fingers for playing basketball :tard: :eusa_doh:

Comment

Thanks. Im going to start wearing 16oz gloves now with wraps. I never thought of it as adding resistance too but thats a good benefit. Is there any other precautions I can take when using kicks/knees/elbows on bags? I fucked up my hand too but it healed fine though. I got into a fight with some guys and me and my freind beat the crap outa them but I broke my middle knuckle on the guys face. I think I hit his forehead or something.

Comment

On my left hand I'm not quite sure what the injury actually was, I hurt my hand in sparring one day while i was still new, I was wearing gloves but not wraps and I cracked someone in the head wrong and it hurt my index finger, i thought it was just a little jammed and would be fine, so i didnt do anything about it, it hurt for quite a while, and then it stopped hurting, and a few weeks later i noticed i couldnt close my index finger properly when i wanted to make a fist without wraps.

I think having the index finger tucked in tightly and held in place by the thumb is a key part of making a compact fist, but i cant tuck my index finger in all the way and my entire left fist feels kind of "loose" because of it. Plus the index finger itself juts out and is obviously going to be more prone to injury because of it.

Pictures:

Note i can only bend the first joint of my index finger to about 45 degrees or so.

While on my right hand:

I can make it almost completely horizontal.

My right hand also has an injury in that I broke the first bone of my middle finger in half during weapons sparring, it will not close all the way either, resulting in a somewhat loose fist(and i can still feel a little pain in it when i hit the newer heavy bags and my hand is "cold", after i warm up a bit then it's not so bad) and the fist itself is not nearly so loose as my left hand. I feel fairly confident i could still drill someone good bareknuckled with my right hand, dont have that kind of confidence in my left hand.

Injuries suck, especially to your hands, my advice to everyone on this thread is to protect them at all times to the best of your ability. Maybe hitting shit without gloves or even wraps hasnt caused you problems yet, but it certainly could, and even if you get it treated it will likely never be quite 100% again. I didnt take 2 minutes to wrap my hands for one round of sparring and now i can't make a proper fist with my left hand at all and i deffinitly regret it.

Luckily when i wrap my hands (and add gloves) I get the support I need to still be able to hit stuff so it doesnt effect my ability to compete or train. But if i needed to use my jab or throw a hook in teh streets with no wraps then I'd have to modify the technique I use, so yeh, there's no excuse for not protecting your valuable (and comparatively delicate) hands.
                              Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 3/15/2006 12:20pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X