Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Mostly) Healthy pre-packaged food stuffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Mostly) Healthy pre-packaged food stuffs?

WYSIWYG. The how-do-eat thread got me started thing about this.

I try to eat right and all, but sometimes I do need a quick and convenient meal. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so what do you all eat when you can't cook?

My latest favorite is frozen General Tso's spicy chicken from Tai Pei.

One 340g box has:
    210 Cal
    3g Fat
    640g Sodium
    24g total carb
    6g fiber
    13g sugar
    21g protein
    100%+ vitamins A & C

It's pretty filling since it's just meat and veggies, I pour off the sauce to remove some sugar and salt, and I like the $2.50 price.

Post away.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Impress your girlfriend

I like to boil up some pasta, put some sauce out of a jar and some kind of canned meat ( I usually use crab) throw in some canned veggie too if you want like spinich, takes about 5 to 10 minutes depending on how long it take the water to boil.

tastes pretty good and seems fancy like you really cooked!

*note: Angel Hair pasta cooks the fastest... like 2 or 3 min.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
      That looks pretty good and there are times when I should be eating but can't do to my schedule.

I'll have to go pick some up, I was wondering why they can't make a prepackaged food that you can eat all day? Like dog food. I mean dogs are in pretty good shape, well mine are. Pretty good muscle definition and all they eat is dog food/water.

Can anyone tell me why they can't make one food with all the vitamins/minerals/and micro nutrients needed for a great diet and give it to us in a form where I can just buy a huge bag of it with no prepiration?
      Feel free to eat as much dog food as you want.
      Let us know how it works out.

Posting video of you eating it would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon
        Can anyone tell me why they can't make one food with all the vitamins/minerals/and micro nutrients needed for a great diet and give it to us in a form where I can just buy a huge bag of it with no prepiration?
        Because it would be people...It would be made of people.
        Jaguar's MMA record
        pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
        post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
        - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Originally posted by PirateJon
          WYSIWYG. The how-do-eat thread got me started thing about this.

I try to eat right and all, but sometimes I do need a quick and convenient meal. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so what do you all eat when you can't cook?

My latest favorite is frozen General Tso's spicy chicken from Tai Pei.
          640g Sodium
          JESUS! How are you still alive? How are they still in business?

But seriously, I'm hooked on these tuna/salmon pouches. Pre-seasoned, just tear off the top and chow down. Over 40g protein per pouch, IIRC.

I've been known to indulge in the Ramen from time to time, I'll have to give this the check out, never heard of the brand before.

Comment

Go to Whole Foods and visit the freezer section. They have frozen burritos by like, 3 manufacturers, and they are all very very good. 300-400 calories a piece for abour $2-$3 a pop. Just let them thaw for a few hours before microwaving.

They also have very healthy frozen dinners and pizzas. Believe it or not, the Boca Pepperoni Pizza (with fake pepperoni) tastes EXACTLY like the real thing and is made with whole grain.

At conventional grocery stores, the fish in a bag mentioned for salmon or tuna is very excellent; just make sure you get the chunk light tuna instead of albacore (mercury issues). You could also buy some sliced deli meat from the butcher counter and slap it on some whole grain bread with a spread of choice (mayo, for example). Buy some whole wheat crackers to munch on (make sure there's no hydrogenated oil in there - Trans fatty acids BAD).

You can make your own soups. Buy a box of whole grain pasta, a can of mixed beans, and some beef or chicken broth, about a quarts worth (32oz). Boil the pasta to doneness and drain it. Put broth in a large storage bowl and stir in 14oz can of beans and noodles. Put in fridge. Before you leave for the day, put some of the chicken noodle soup into a to-go container and take it with you. If you can find fancier broths, you have fancier meals. I've used sweet potato broth, lobster bisque broth, and mushroom broth, in addition to these.

Comment

I wouldn't say anything about the sodium in the Pai Tai dish if you're eating ramen noodles. According to this link, ramen noodles have a whopping 1434 mg (60%) of sodium. I thought I misread it at first. That's insane. I'm glad I stopped eating that a long time ago.

Edit: I forgot to add something worthwhile.
              I pack a sandwhich and take that to school for lunch which is fast, easy, tasty, healthy, filling, and steers me away from all the shitty processed foods at school. Even peanut butter and jelly isn't that bad if you use quality ingredients and it will keep you going for a few hours, too. I say this because I really haven't found any quality, healthy frozen foods like that. That being said, I will try the Pai Tai thing if I can find it.
              Last edited by MrSparkle; 2/23/2006 8:50pm, .

Comment

Tasty Bite microwave indian food. That stuff is so damn delicious and healthy it feels unfair. Lots of sodium, though- still, it's almost all fresh lentils and other beans.

Comment

I've had this same question in my mind ever since I saw an episode of Futurama where Fry eats some Bachelor Chow, which looks exactly like dog food and comes out of a huge bag.

Comment

These probably aren't the highest quality foodstuff in the world, but I only have about 45 minutes in between classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I generally pack a Met-RX "Big 100" Meal Replacement Bar, an apple, a banana, and water to wash it all down with.

Most of the protein comes from whey, graham cracker and chocolate chip are both fairly edible flavors (I wouldn't call them candy bar quality, but they taste pretty good), and they aren't really high in fat. Oh, and they're like a dollar at Kroger.
                    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

I was wondering why they can't make a prepackaged food that you can eat all day? Like dog food.
                      They do.

http://www.primatediets.com/

Or you can just eat dog food, seeing as it's almost the same thing. I'm thinking of trying this soon. The "get fit on dog food" diet.

Comment

Good prepackaged foods include apples, oranges, grapes, nuts, and the like.

Samurai steve has the right idea but there are plenty of real foods that don't need to be cooked so don't forget you have choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Reese
                          Good prepackaged foods include apples, oranges, grapes, nuts, and the like.

Samurai steve has the right idea but there are plenty of real foods that don't need to be cooked so don't forget you have choices.
                          The best thing I have done in the past year for my diet has been to replace almost all "snacks" with fruit and vegetables.

Oh, and yogurt.
                          "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

You are wise beyond your years, GB.

Comment

I'm going to replace snacks with dog food, and candy with dog food, and normal meals with dog food...and see what happens.

I also plan to eat the odd vegetable.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X