Endurance help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Endurance help, please

It's the wrestling off season. So i'm trying to bulk up with muscle right now. I figure that about a month or so before the season starts, i'll switch from mass exercises (6 sets of 8) to endurance ones.

So im wondering, first of all, does this plan sound sensible? or am i missing something?
    and second, for endurance, should i just keep lifting lower weight in one big set to failure? i would think either one or 2 sets maybe...

:cachas:

Well, if you want endurance for a wrestling match, my suggestion is to wrestle... a lot.

Comment

Running doesn't hurt either. Keep your cardio up in the off season.

Comment

I do run, for my cardio/breathing, and wrestling is, of course ,the best practice for wrestling. But im at a point where i dont have anybody to wrestle and i'm mainly looking to make sure my arms dont get tired (muscular endurance, as opposed to cardio or breathing) in a match, cuz thats been a problem for me.

Comment

There is a machine I have seen. I do not know what it is called. It is basically like bicycle pedal system, but is upright and instead of having pedals you hold onto bars. The resistance is variable.

Supposedly wrestlers swear by it.

Comment

Working on technique will help you beyond anything else for the issues you are describing.

Comment

Comment

What, no wrestling katas?

Comment

That's not the point, the point is that that is what is going to help him. And it isn't unlikely that there aren't grappling related classes he could take, like jiu-jitsu or judo, which a lot of wrestlers do in there off season.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanand
                    But im at a point where i dont have anybody to wrestle

Comment

One of the guys I was training with for a shot at BUD/S had a very interesting arm exercise he did for endurance. He set up a stair climber for a fairly low weight, got into the pushup position with his hands on the platform, and went to town--I think the longest he did this was 20 minutes. I tried it, and it's a special kind of hurt. While certainly not as good as grappling, methinks this might be beneficial.

Additional thoughts:
                      Very similar to the bicycle machine previously described. I'd guess that the climber might be more useful insofar as you'll have a lengthy resistance with each arm on a downstroke; it takes longer to crank down with more weight, but too much weight makes it easy and defeats the purpose. You want resistance, but you also want to keep those arms pumping away. Hope that helps.
                      Last edited by Tiffer; 5/27/2005 3:23pm, .

Comment

What I'm saying is that if it is a technical problem no amount of endurance training is going to alleviate it.

Comment

Someone mentioned a technical problem?

please stand by

Comment

Emphasis added for AthGirl:

Originally posted by ryanand
                            I do run, for my cardio/breathing, and wrestling is, of course ,the best practice for wrestling. But im at a point where i dont have anybody to wrestle and i'm mainly looking to make sure my arms dont get tired (muscular endurance, as opposed to cardio or breathing) in a match, cuz thats been a problem for me.
                            He never said a thing about technique.

ryanand: Something I recommend that you might find helps you out is to get a duffel bag and throw a bunch of sand into it, make it a light weight to start. Then go to town with that sucker, squat with it, run with it, press it, throw it, just have fun with it and work yourself silly.

For more ideas, check out:
                            http://www.workingclassfitness.com/wiggyarticle3.shtml
                            http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout3.shtml

Comment

He may not realize it is a technical problem if that is the case.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X