DIET AND STAMINA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIET AND STAMINA

I had a strange thing happen to me today and I am pretty sure it has something to do with my diet but need some help figuring out where the problem is.
    I am 5'10" and fluctuate between 185-190. I train from 10-Noon MWF. I eat breakfast around 8am and it usually consists of a bowl of plain oatmeal. I then usually eat a piece of fruit about 30 minutes before I train. It has never really been a problem but lately I have been getting light headed and gas really quick. Today though I got extremely light headed and my muscles felt like they couldn't even hold me up. I did go at it pretty hard but not a lot harder than normal. Here is a general idea of how I eat after training: I get home around 12:30 and eat a can of tuna, two slices of wheat bread, 6 ounces of fat free yogurt and an 8 ounce glass of 2 percent milk. I usually have a snack, such as a piece of fruit, around 2:30 pm. I then eat dinner around 5-6 usually consisting of about 8 ounces of meat, 1 cup cottage cheese and 6 ounces of fat free yogurt. Could my evening diet be what is affecting my morning workouts?

you are going to die.

Comment

You have a choice, young man.

Either live on starvation rations and train like a chinaman (now)....

...or become an obese man, and embroider "tiny" on all your shirts (upper left breast) in the future.

The choice is simple, the way I see it.

Comment

Shit I am going to die? How much longer do I have?
        How does one train like a chinaman?

Comment

How much salt do you eat?

Comment

Your breakfast:

half cup oatmeal w/ cup of 2% milk
            8 g fat
            37g carbs
            15 g protein
            4 g fiber

My breakfast:

Two large eggs & whole grain toast
            14 g fat
            33 g carbohydrates
            23 g protein
            6 g fiber

Which is a more balanced breakfast?

Comment

I'll be more specific. I had the same thing going on and I went to the doc. He tested my blood and as it turned out I had low sodium levels, mostly because I dont eat any prepacked foods. Once I took care of that, the problem went away. A lot of people forget that when you sweat you lose water AND salts. Any way, it could be a lot of things, and I would suggest getting the doc to check your blood, its takes a few days to get the results.

Another thing I can think of just by checking out your regular diet is that you go along time without eating anything (14 hours, if the last thing you eat is at 5 and you wake up at 7). This is pretty fine for someone who spends thier time watching tv and surfing the net, but not so great for an athlete. Your body should not be going so long without nourishment. I would suggest eating a protein rich, low fat snack an hour before bed (a protein shake without unnatural sweetners, mixed in water is a good choice.) That's me two cents.

Comment

pizza

:angry5: Honestly...... You really need a really large Pizza and some cold beer. To really subsist on nothing is a waste. Give yourself something to work off and change up your routine. You will platue with you regimine and enjoy the view. :XXcompute

Comment

Your chi is off.

eat some vegetables.

Comment

I don't diet religiously. I do allow myself some cheating sometimes. As far as the sodium thing I do eat plenty of foods with sodium but it might just not be enough intake for my activity level. The reason I don't eat very late is I am sedentary most of the time at work and honestly I just don't get hungry there. Thanks for all the ideas though. If anyone has any more ideas on a good place to tweak my diet I would appreciate it.

Comment

1. Try moving your workouts to the evening or afternoon.
                      I know you may have been doing this morning routine for a while but people have different body cycles, I personally have little energy in the morning and only workout in the evening.

2. Possible random 'overtraining.' Take a week off rest and see how you feel.

Comment

I think your diet is pretty balanced, but you need to up those servings. I'm around 5' 9" and 165-170lbs and I eat similar things, but it larger quantity. I'd eat maybe two bowls of oatmeal and three bananas for breakfast, two tuna/turkey sandwiches on whole wheat with 16oz of milk and two apples for lunch. Dinner depends, but usually it's some assortment of cooked veggies and chicken/fish with two glasses of milk/water. When I eat red meat for dinner, I usually eat 3/4lb. - 1lb. In between meals I eat carrot sticks. I'm pretty much on my ass for about 7-8 hours a day, and then I go train in the evening.

If you're low on sodium, you can try Cup Noodles. Those damn things pack 600-800mg of sodium per serving and are cheap.

Comment

As others mentioned, your diet seems balanced but you really need to get more calories if you're going to be active.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X