Anaerobic and flexibility training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anaerobic and flexibility training

Hello, everyone. I got a question while doing exercise so I am launching this thread.

Currently I am running 8 km every morning and at evening, I do:

* 500 jumping ropes
    * 40 push-ups (I seriously need to improve in this area)
    * 100 sit-ups
    * 50 minute kendo session

Now, once I enter college, I want to take up boxing (there is a boxing club there) and if possible, jiu-jitsu. So I want to modify my current exercise routine to improve areas that I am not very good, namely anaerobic activities and flexibility.

I heard it often that boxing is a very explosive and anaerobic exercise and flexibility helps a lot in grappling martial arts. I always wanted to have some experience in both striking and grappling and I would appreciate it if those of you who who are more knowledgeable teach me what factors I should take into consideration.

I'm not sure how long 500 jump ropes takes, but I would think that training up to jumping rope at a rapid pace for 3 and then 5 minutes would be a good start. I just hit the 3min mark (sometimes) and I can box about a round without puking.

Comment

*sigh*

I am probably going to regret this, but:
      - Age/height/weight?
      - Do you have access to a barbell and a power rack?

Comment

lordbd - I haven't actually measured how long it takes but I assuming that it takes around 5 minutes.

TheRuss -

-19/181cm/76kg
        - I do not.

Comment

A far as cardio for both go...i have done plenty of different conditioning routines/workouts and the best thing i found is runnning for boxing and push up/pull ups in sequence for grappling.

I just know that when i run a few times a week boxing becomes SO much less taxing cardio wise. ANd grappling becomes much more fluid and less exhausting when doing body weight exercises.

Keep in mind i also lift heavy 4x a week and spar a lot (well i used to lol). However, when i add those things in i see my endurance sky rocket.

Comment

Originally posted by dRoy View Post
            - I do not [have access to a barbell and power rack].
            Power comes from strength. I highly recommend getting yourself access to these implements and availing yourself of some power cleans. Doing so will require heavy squats and deadlifts as well. Starting Strength would be a fine book to buy to figure it all out.

Comment

You can train anaerobic endurance by doing sprints and sets of taxing whole body exercises like burpees. The aerobic base built through exercises like running can help you get more out of anaerobic training by improving your recovery time.

I'm not very flexible myself but an older BJJ brown belt I know swears by yoga. Striking power, within your weight class, is primarily about technique. A good coach and lots of practice are far more important than a lifting programme here.

Comment

The best cardio comes from plyometrics in my opinion. I do the p90x plyo sometimes on off-days and it kills me. My girlfriend is doing Insanity. Also good for the cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by lordbd View Post
                  The best cardio comes from plyometrics in my opinion.
                  Yuri Verkhoshansky is spinning in his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by dRoy View Post
                    Hello, everyone. I got a question while doing exercise so I am launching this thread.

Currently I am running 8 km every morning and at evening, I do:

* 500 jumping ropes
                    * 40 push-ups (I seriously need to improve in this area)
                    * 100 sit-ups
                    * 50 minute kendo session

Now, once I enter college, I want to take up boxing (there is a boxing club there) and if possible, jiu-jitsu. So I want to modify my current exercise routine to improve areas that I am not very good, namely anaerobic activities and flexibility.

I heard it often that boxing is a very explosive and anaerobic exercise and flexibility helps a lot in grappling martial arts. I always wanted to have some experience in both striking and grappling and I would appreciate it if those of you who who are more knowledgeable teach me what factors I should take into consideration.
                    Lactic-Anerobic power isn't very important to boxing. It is to BJJ
                    Aerobic fitness is VERY important to boxing due to the number of rounds.

Limit strength is not a crucial element to boxing at all, due to the basically nonexistent load on sport movements( that you do them with no external resistance other than the weight of a glove). Obviously if you've very weak getting stronger will always help you, but if you're trying to become a good boxer and you prioritize completing starting strength over getting in your roadwork, you've fucked up.

Now, that said, resistance in BJJ can be a lot higher(y'know, an entire human being), so if you're getting serious about that, you're going to have to make time for strength training. If you have the entire summer, I would say don't worry at all about your sprint capabilities. Build an aerobic base, and get basic strength training in. Do mobility work prior to each strength session for your warm up. A twice a week compound strength training program along with keeping up your distance runs will put you pretty damn well primed for any sport you want to play.

You'll know if you need to do more specific energy system work by just paying attention to your sport practice- if you notice a weakness in muscular endurance, or short term bursts, or high intensity work of a minute duration etc....to work on that.

Comment

Originally posted by selfcritical View Post
                      Lactic-Anerobic power isn't very important to boxing ...
                      I would beg to differ, I'm sure that aerobic power plays a significant role when you are a top level professional boxer in a title fight that is going a full 12 rounds, but for a beginner as an amateur you will probably start boxing for three 2-minute rounds, moving up to 4 2-minute rounds. Even as a beginning pro fighter many of your fights will probably be 4 rounds. I would definitely focus on getting great anaerobic fitness if you want to take up boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by selfcritical View Post
                        Lactic-Anerobic power isn't very important to boxing. It is to BJJ

Limit strength is not a crucial element to boxing at all, due to the basically nonexistent load on sport movements( that you do them with no external resistance other than the weight of a glove).
                        for any sport you want to play.
                        You do know there is a lot of contact in boxing, a lot of clinching, pushing shoving etc.'... going toe to toe for even one round is very similar to grappling. You also have to consider he is going to tens up when sparring for a good while (up to a year) so saying he doesn't need anaerobic is pretty ignorant. only the weight of the glove as resistance? that is wrong in so many levels...

Comment

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

A little bit of update in my routine:

Now everyday I do:

* 10km jog
                          * 1000 jumping ropes
                          * 40 push-ups
                          * 300 sit-ups
                          * 50 min kendo session

Currently I am not really timing each of that because I am aiming to lose some weight (I am currently 74 kg and I wish to drop to 72) so I am just doing as much as I can. Do let me know if that is not a right way.

The best cardio comes from plyometrics in my opinion.
                          To be honest, I didn't really believe this when I was doing just 100 sit ups. Now, although I can't really say it is the best, it really demands a lot of cardio, judging by all the amount of sweat. I can definitely see your point. Still, so far my favorite is jogging.

for a beginner as an amateur you will probably start boxing for three 2-minute rounds, moving up to 4 2-minute rounds.
                          I do wish to compete in amateur boxing if I can find time between my studies. I thought it was 3 3-minute rounds but I guess I was wrong.

From what I've seen from all the matches, it seems to me that anaerobic aspect is really important. I prefer to act like a berserker whenever I get into any kind of fight so anaerobic would definitely help me.
                          Last edited by dRoy; 6/13/2012 7:40am, . Reason: Elaboration

Comment

I'd try and get access to a gym if I were you. Weightlifting is good shit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                              Weightlifting is good shit.
                              Balance it out with some cardio and it is really good shit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X