Let's Discuss Veganism and Why It's Retarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyjudek View Post
    And the conclusion you drew from this was that EVERY diet that excludes meat must be the same? The word "vegan" tells me what the diet excludes, not what it includes.
    Every diet that excludes animal products is doomed.

Yep.

I think you have a huge confirmation bias here
    Nope.

Comment

I'd definitely consider hanging mysefl
      Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

Yep...
        Meat must have an essential role in whatever cult it is that you are a member of, but I'm gonna pass. Thanks though.
        http://eatrightpro.org/-/media/eatri...arian-diet.pdf

It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes. Plant-based diets are more environmentally sustainable than diets rich in animal products because they use fewer natural resources and are associated with much less environmental damage.
        Last edited by heyjudek; 2/27/2020 12:35am, .

Comment

And the conclusion you drew from this was that EVERY diet that excludes meat must be the same?
          I've met fat vegetarians. Indians. I was a vegetarian myself for about 6 months when I was trying to fight what my doctors told me were food/etc allergies before I was diagnosed with Lupus. I'm just saying that making a choice like being a vegan should come with a lot of self education on the subject and a willingness to get inventive to have a complete diet.
          Last edited by Dung Beatles; 2/27/2020 1:26am, .
          "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Meat must have an essential role in whatever cult it is that you are a member of, but I'm gonna pass. Thanks though.
            Don't bother arguing with Rabbit. It's like trying to run a marathon underwater. He used to swear up and down he's got Ciliac's disease but this is the 5th or so time I've seen him talking about eating bread; those Gluten-free bird sandwiches at Popeye's and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post

I've met fat vegetarians. Indians. I was a vegetarian myself for about 6 months when I was trying to fight what my doctors told me were food/etc allergies before I was diagnosed with Lupus. I'm just saying that making a choice like being a vegan should come with a lot of self education on the subject and a willingness to get inventive to have a complete diet.
              This is kind of true depending on the "history" of the person involved. If the person in question had mostly eggs and bacon background, then yes that would involve some amount of self-education. But I think calling it "must be very careful" is a little bit of a stretch. Though, I will subjectively say that I can't recall going through anything that would be called a lot of self education. Just familiarizing oneself with basics takes care of 90% of the concerns I guess. The rest is learned through trial & error over the following few months.

I just had to swap chicken for legumes and ditch dairy and eggs which I was consuming very little anyway. That was the most significant thing I did. Chicken doesn't really even compete with legumes when it comes to nutrition. And red meat should not be consumed more than a pound a week anyway. So, it won't really contribute much to one's nutrition.
              I think an even serious problem is the anti-science attitude of most vegans. They are usually into hippie-dippie nonsense such as organic, raw, "clean" and other nonsense which are propagated by trashy personalities in the media and the internet. So, they don't really need vegan-specific education, just a healthy amount of scientific literacy to be able to separate bad advice from the good would go a long way.
              I think people kind of make not eating meat as some sort of a significant thing. It is much more of a burden socially than it is ever gonna be nutritionally. In the end, whatever one's diet is, one must get enough macro and micronutrients. It will all require planning anyway. I don't think it is really right to say that those who eat meat can afford to be less careful to any significant degree compared to those who don't.
              It is just that those who stop eating meat later in life, has to re-adapt their habits, while those who don't naturally learn all this just by growing up
              The iron thing you mentioned for example, is very easily taken care of. The problem is getting people to follow evidence-based advice.

Don't bother arguing with Rabbit. It's like trying to run a marathon underwater. He used to swear up and down he's got Ciliac's disease but this is the 5th or so time I've seen him talking about eating bread; those Gluten-free bird sandwiches at Popeye's and all.
              Alright, that was the last nail in the coffin for me. Ignore lists don't work. So, I guess I will "manually" ignore him :)

Comment

If youi're really enthusiastic about eating healthy I suggest doing a video or picture log of making a good meal.

I grew up on a farm and have a personal love affair with salad. Sucks up here in Washington though because a weeks worth of vegetables costs as much as a months worth of meat.

The skill required to cook an appealing and entirely vegetable based meal with a wide variety from day to day is not easily acquired. I think the real barrier is people having the will to learn how to cook or you just won't be able to convert people who grew up eating fast junk food or high quality meat based meals. Meat is often the central entree and without that people need to have a good alternative.

Comment

If youi're really enthusiastic about eating healthy I suggest doing a video or picture log of making a good meal.

I grew up on a farm and have a personal love affair with salad. Sucks up here in Washington though because a weeks worth of vegetables costs as much as a months worth of meat.

The skill required to cook an appealing and entirely vegetable based meal with a wide variety from day to day is not easily acquired. I think the real barrier is people having the will to learn how to cook or you just won't be able to convert people who grew up eating fast junk food or high quality meat based meals. Meat is often the central entree and without that people need to have a good alternative.
                  I would say that I am enthusiastic enough about healthy eating to function normally, which is a really low bar for me and takes little to no effort on my part.
                  It really sucks that the pricing is so unbalanced over there. Here in Europe fresh vegetables are generally affordable, canned or frozen ones even more so. 25 euros or roughly 27 dollars are enough for a month's supply of vegetables considering you are gonna eat a serving or two of them every day. Cooking or enjoying my food is therefore not even the last of my worries. But I guess I grew up with different standards compared to an average american who has a much more meat-centric diet. I have also recently started making seitan (wheat gluten) which turned out to be much more enjoyable than I expected. One can even make it have a texture like that of long strands of chicken. It might be subjective but I enjoyed it more than beef or chicken for sure. Add to this its affordability and I can't see why anyone wouldn't try it. Like you said, there is a learning curve to this though, My first seitan was way worse than it is now, but definitely worth it.
                  In the end, like any skill, with repetition it becomes second nature. So, as someone who is generally a minimialist when it comes to food, I can't say that I had to learn much.

Comment

For Dung...vegetarian, not vegan.
                    https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/cat...ic/vegetarian/
                    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Yeah, my main issue is not that I HAVE to eat meat at every meal, it mostly just creativity. My wife and I have been trying to clean up our diet for a while but having never done it before, we are having to learn other options. Nonmeat has really helped. She's been making these really good burritos with the nonmeat and quinona, avacados and beans. Pretty dang good. We still eat meat, but have been trying to dial it back a little. She doesn't eat red meat anyway. We have some pretty good vegan places to eat but for the most part, it is about twice as much money to eat vegan. And with three kids, it's a little more difficult.

So we are mostly just trying to balance it out and have a few vegan meals a week. Then see how it goes.
                      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                        Dang, those all look good!
                        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

Every diet that excludes animal products is doomed.
                          Well dang, someone needs to call the Jains and Sikhs and let them know the vegetarian diet that they’ve consumed for centuries is doomed.

You say some stupid things W. Rabbit, but that statement was especially dumb.
                          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                            Well dang, someone needs to call the Jains and Sikhs and let them know the vegetarian diet that they’ve consumed for centuries is doomed.

You say some stupid things W. Rabbit, but that statement was especially dumb.
                            They still rely on animal products for their diet.

Meanwhile, heyjudek says the Inuit are vegan and you let that pass.

LOL.

Comment

Meat must have an essential role in whatever cult it is that you are a member of
                              The human race.

Comment

You've never seen me claim once that I have Celiac, though. If you can find that post, I'll quit Bullshido.net forever.

No, you're probably just high again and confused with false memories.

Mrs. Rabbit has Celiac disease, so I'm a pro at GF food prep, and I help Ghost55 out with GF recipes and recommendations on hard seltzer (steer clear of "Evil Genius", it sucks").
                                Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/27/2020 12:42pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X