Let's Discuss Veganism and Why It's Retarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I always thought of those old testament rules as if a scientist from the future went back in time and had to instruct the ignorant man on how to survive. And instead of trying to explain germs and bacteria to man who didn't even have basic understanding of these invisible things, he just said "Alright, look, if you don't wash your hands when you go into your house, you will go to hell. If you eat these things that will kill you, you will go to hell." --ignorant man, "but how do we tell the difference between an oyster with vibrio and a vulture?" --God scientist, "Just only eat things in the water with fins and scales, and you have to cook pork to a certain temp" --man, "what's a temp?" God scientist, "BAH! Don't eat pork." ***walks off grumbling,"....stupid man, why do I bother...."
    An interesting linguistic note, in the original Hebrew the word ascribed to the "non-edibles" is more like "detestable" or "unclean".

But in later Christian texts like the KJB, it becomes more like "abomination", "wicked", "cursed".

You can practically see the guilt trip changing over centuries from "don't eat that" to "if you eat that God will smite thee!"
    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

I always thought of those old testament rules as if a scientist from the future went back in time and had to instruct the ignorant man on how to survive. And instead of trying to explain germs and bacteria to man who didn't even have basic understanding of these invisible things, he just said "Alright, look, if you don't wash your hands when you go into your house, you will go to hell. If you eat these things that will kill you, you will go to hell." --ignorant man, "but how do we tell the difference between an oyster with vibrio and a vulture?" --God scientist, "Just only eat things in the water with fins and scales, and you have to cook pork to a certain temp" --man, "what's a temp?" God scientist, "BAH! Don't eat pork." ***walks off grumbling,"....stupid man, why do I bother...."
      Yep, that's the way I've always interpreted. Religious leaders were leaders because they had enough smarts to look at "known," hazards and, quite literally, put the fear of God into their followers. Continuation of the species was their goal, which then turned into preservation of power. This also goes a little ways to explain restrictions on sodomy and homosexuality, which were widely practiced and accepted in other contemporary societies.
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I could never go vegan. I love bacon, and always will.

Speaking of which, now is the time to discuss the new red meat research controversy..

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...th-ncna1063491

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...rocessed-meat/

New “guidelines” say continue red meat consumption habits, but recommendations contradict evidence
        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/10/2019 9:15am, .
        '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
          I could never go vegan. I love bacon, and always will.

Speaking of which, now is the time to discuss the new red meat research controversy..

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...th-ncna1063491

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...rocessed-meat/
          That top article is right where I'm at. Every time they tell us something is bad, we just have to wait a little while till they change their minds. So why bother.
          Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

That top article is right where I'm at. Every time they tell us something is bad, we just have to wait a little while till they change their minds. So why bother.
            Bacon has such a high protein to fat ratio for meat, for all the demonization.

Since any risks associated with saturated fat tend to be due to cardiovascular health, it stands to reason bacon, sausage, steak, eggs are all OK as long as you put the work in the reduce cholesterol and other heart/artery choking stuff.

I wonder if the conflicting studies are a representation of the average person who doesn't get enough exercise and the smaller fraction that do: lots of processed meat and little exercise = bad health. Lots of red meat and pork and decent exercise, what's that going to lead to either than muscle mass and good CV health?

The only thing I can think of is sodium intake etc. But even that is ok as long as you're sweating it out. In fact extra sodium or potassium is important for heavy duty workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
              Shut the fuck up retard.
              Ok.
              Penis

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                You're leaving out the other parts of Leviticus: vultures, osprey, falcon, raven, ostrich, hawk, owl, pelican, stork, heron, bats...

There are more. But you can eat locusts, according to the Old Testament.

Remember, these were desert people with no access to decent shellfish anyway.

Where were they gonna find dolphins or crabs, the Red Sea?

There were plenty of prostitutes around to provide the crabs, jussayin.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                  Depends.
                  I can go for lunch and gas money with one friend but he works all the time.
                  That guy makes great goat in fact.
                  He brines it in Sprite overnight and feeds it to unsuspecting guests.
                  They have no idea that it's goat, hahaha...

Those things are a real pest, as are the pigs.

Our land/resource management is a mess here but resident permits are very cheap.
                  $30 covers birds too.

As you know one can spend a great deal more.
                  There are guided hunts and such on the outer islands.
                  You could stay at the Four Seasons on Lanai while hunting axis and mufflon all week.
                  That would run you some coin!

Deep sea fishing was out of hand when the gas prices were pushing $5/gal here.
                  My uncles boat has a 1000 gal capacity, lol...

"Buy fuel and you can have all the fish you want!"

I like spear fishing a lot.
                  Lots of variety with that method and it's the most like dry land hunting.
                  (Terry Mass' book is a great read btw. That guy is nuts. https://www.amazon.com/BlueWater-Hun.../dp/B000GXGGBS )

Second would be light tackle spinning gear.

Hunting mammals is really enjoyable but it's a lot more work than fishing which I can do in my backyard.
                  Your posts have been making me itch though.
                  We used to shoot feral goats on Jura, you weren't allowed to shoot the red deer though. That and fishing and mussel ropes fairly supplemented the veg garden and shopping.

Comment

Dang, I've never understood why this topic sparks such passion in people.

I could not care less what someone else eats, or if they want to scream about what they're eating. I spent a decade playing with vegan and straight-edge bands, too (although I never was), and never once heard anyone get "preachy" or evangelical. Sometimes I think that's just people offended by veganism (for whatever reason) pre-reacting to an imagined scenario where someone actually does proselytize to them.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmonk View Post
                      Dang, I've never understood why this topic sparks such passion in people.

I could not care less what someone else eats, or if they want to scream about what they're eating. I spent a decade playing with vegan and straight-edge bands, too (although I never was), and never once heard anyone get "preachy" or evangelical. Sometimes I think that's just people offended by veganism (for whatever reason) pre-reacting to an imagined scenario where someone actually does proselytize to them.
                      I think it's because like most things, especially diet related, there are multiple camps, not just 'vegans".

Scott Pilgrim vs the World cleverly satirized the less sensible vegan, by making one of the antagonists a super powered bass player, who loses his powers after being detained by the Vegan Police for accidentally drinking half and half instead of soy milk.

Getting into a discussion about essential amino acids etc with an actual vegetarian, licensed physical trainer who has done the research and knows how to replace critical food elements is on the other side of the spectrum, and when all is said and done, there's nothing inherently wrong with going vegan or vegetarian.

Some people do it for a little while, some longer, some for life. With the proper dietary and nutrition guidance it's fine.

But if you find a Vegone, or the Vegan Police on the road, kill them.

Metaphorically.
                      Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/19/2020 4:02pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post

Oooooh, but you tried so hard to appear nuetral
                        This doesn't address what I said at all.
                        What I stated was an objective fact.
                        I am not "trying" to appear as anything. If you don't like verifiable claims, that isn't my problem :)

Comment

Originally posted by heyjudek View Post

This doesn't address what I said at all.
                          What I stated was an objective fact.
                          I am not "trying" to appear as anything. If you don't like verifiable claims, that isn't my problem :)
                          You asked questions, made a few declarative statements and didn’t post any “verifiable claims.” Your problem is drive by posting in anger.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                            You asked questions, made a few declarative statements and didn’t post any “verifiable claims.” Your problem is drive by posting in anger.
                            I am really hoping that the majority of people here do not have anti-science tendencies. The only thing that was remotely close to being a "declarative statement" I have made was that there are many reasons not to eat meat (mainly environmental and ethical ones)

Anyone who has a basic understanding of science should already be aware that eating lower on the food chain (plants vs herbivores vs carnivores) is exponentially more efficient than eating higher.
                            For those who didn't know: According to the laws of thermodynamics, energy transfer can never be 100%. Usually, it is much lower. For example, when a cow is eating 1000 calories worth of food, only a small portion of those calories will be stored as biomass. Most of it will be used for metabolism, body heat and other bodily needs.
                            In ecology, this is called the "10% rule", which states that as you go up the food chain, only 10% of the energy (in general) is stored as biomass. This is what I meant by inefficiency.

In any case, I am more than happy providing verifiable claims.
                            https://www.wri.org/blog/2016/04/sus...know-12-charts

Animal-based foods are generally more resource-intensive and environmentally impactful to produce than plant-based foods.[/h]
                            Beef production requires 20 times more land and emits 20 times more greenhouse gas emissions per unit of edible protein than common plant-based protein sources such as beans, peas and lentils. Chicken and pork are more resource-efficient than beef, but still require three times more land and emit three times more greenhouse gas emissions than beans. When it comes to resource use and environmental impacts, the type of food eaten matters as much, if not more, than how that food is produced.

I hope this helped clarify what I meant earlier. By the way, stating what is already obvious doesn't mean I am making claims.
                            Please let me know if you have further concerns :)

Last edited by heyjudek; 2/23/2020 3:51pm, .

Comment

I'm all for people eating more vegetables. The American diet is clogged with tasteless overprocessed garbage pail slop.

Not anti-meat, I just think there should be 3 or more non-starch vegetable servings to every portion of protein with as much variety as possible. Peas and carrots go with damn near everything savory, as do onions, mushrooms, turnips, greens of all kinds and avocado.

I think vegans are taking a risk but if they can make it work, then whatever.
                              "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                                I'm all for people eating more vegetables. The American diet is clogged with tasteless overprocessed garbage pail slop.

Not anti-meat, I just think there should be 3 or more non-starch vegetable servings to every portion of protein with as much variety as possible. Peas and carrots go with damn near everything savory, as do onions, mushrooms, turnips, greens of all kinds and avocado.

I think vegans are taking a risk but if they can make it work, then whatever.
                                Here's a verifiable claim. People who don't eat enough vegetables get sick and die young. So the "pushing veggies" agenda is actually commendable, right up to the point of superiority complex.

I took my boys out to an awesome Asian buffet (complete with made to order teppanyaki grill) last night after a night of working out.

They were in heaven. But I imressed on them that if you don't want to become what I call a "buffet professional" you need to remember two things: work off all that sugar and starch, and FFS all you can eat means vegetables too, not just fried crab rangoon.

The most untouched area of that huge buffet was the salad bar.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X