This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TKD Black Belt
    I really hope someone doesn't have to fail miserably in a 'live situation' for them to learn this lesson.
    As with any cult, they will just blame the victim for being a "pussy" who "did not apply the techniques correctly," who "if only he came to the Shit-Sniffing Seminar he would have been t3h d34dly," et cetera.

Basically, the same excuses faith healers use when people die.

--J.D.

Comment

Green Hornet,
      I have'nt been to class in months. I'm already out.

Comment

Any crap because of it?

--J.D.

Comment

Let's be careful

Originally posted by TKD Black Belt
          Can someone please address this issue of spam.

TKD
          This offer from FSD to buy their book on the history of FSD sounds like a set-up to get the names of people posting on this forum. Do I know this for fact? No, I don't, but just call it instinct.

Comment

agree

I agree with that as well, after what I have hear this past month..this past week as well, I can see that....two of the people I know that actually teach and train realistic martial arts now...years after being there ..will simply not talk about there past with them at all....I know that neither of them are oushovers when it comes to their own training..yet they will not tlak about it...I was hoping to hear from stringfellow..see what he`s heard of late????
            :beatdead:

Comment

Originally posted by andrewa
              This offer from FSD to buy their book on the history of FSD sounds like a set-up to get the names of people posting on this forum. Do I know this for fact? No, I don't, but just call it instinct.
              what good could that possibly do for the FSD people?
              52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Comment

Try somehow to get "even."

Remember, they are children.

--J.D.

Comment

A scan of the link shows that it is not linked to from anywhere else except Bullshido. So they only want people from Bullshido reading that particular page.

There own students cant link to it from inside the site.

The motive could be a plan to target people who either click the link or buy the book. If FSD management is planning on targeting the bullshido reader through their traditional intimidation methods and bully tactics, this could get really interesting.

Comment

Either way, it's hardly likely to win them any fans, is it? If it is a plan to target Bullshido posters (and it amazes me that this is a possibility), the end result will just be more bad publicity, surely?
                    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                    click here to order on Amazon

Comment

hey, i dont post for a few days, i come back and there is a new thread?! omg what did i miss?

stay on topic: fsd still sucks :tongue2:

Comment

Hey Shadow Beast,

One of the claims of sJP is that he was a Shotokan Black Belt before developing FSD.

At this point I would be really interested in hearing from you a comparison of Shotokan Karate with FSD to see if you found any similarities.

Originally posted by DAY
                        Either way, it's hardly likely to win them any fans, is it? If it is a plan to target Bullshido posters (and it amazes me that this is a possibility), the end result will just be more bad publicity, surely?
                        Hi DAY,
                        At this point, I dont think we are dealing with people who actually have thoughts this through to the logical end game. If they had they would not be trying to obtain the identities of posters on Bullshido.
                        Last edited by Askari; 5/07/2006 7:26am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Askari
                          Hey Shadow Beast,

One of the claims of sJP is that he was a Shotokan Black Belt before developing FSD.

At this point I would be really interested in hearing from you a comparison of Shotokan Karate with FSD to see if you found any similarities.
                          none AT ALL, lol

from the 6 normall and 2 bbc classes i have been to, i have not seen one thing even close to shotokan in fsd, unless its higher sash stuff, otherwise no, nothing at all.

even how the shotokan kicks are done its different, my sensei always says "snap the kick" or for a round kick, snap it from your butt out, then snap it back fast to your butt (did i say it right?) the kicks, punches, blocks, "traps" in shotokan does not look like anything in fsd, while the kicks in fsd seem more like kick boxing style kicks to me.

the traps and blocks in shotokan work so much better then what i learned in my little time with fsd, it's so easy to tell too.

i may have forgot something, let me know if i did.

edit: another funny thing, a bit off topic.

you were talking about the lack of black belts in fsd a while ago? lol its funny, in my shotokan class its FULL of black belts, and i am the lowest black belt in the class, lol

theres a few 1st dans, 2nd dans, even 3rd dans!

right now in the adult class, the lowest belt is green

(if your wondering, it works like this: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, blue 2, brown, brown 2, brown 3, black)

funny huh, so many high level belts, yet in fsd, i havent seen anything higher then green, oh, and the fsd place i was at, they have a blue belt teaching classes as an assistant, lol.
                          Last edited by shadow beast; 5/07/2006 7:46am, .

Comment

Originally posted by enhanced
                            I hated it when we would be given a technique, endurance drill or whatever to do and then the sifu would wonder off to do god knows what.
                            Totally ignoring us.
                            How were supposed to get better? If you did'nt know something a higher level student would point it out and then you'd pass it on to a less experienced student, right or wrong.
                            This is not getting the instruction you pay for. Fuck that, the money thing is pretty offensive to me- but poor, lacklustre disinterested teaching is unacceptable. No matter what is being taught. Calling yourself a teacher or instructor when you behave like this is not only dishonest, it is an insult to those people that deserve the title.

I've had other students who were 1 rank above me teach me basic things that should have been corrected years earlier by a sifu.
                            This happened often.
                            While I appreicate that your instructor can't always be there to correct you and a higher graded/more experienced guy at the club can fill in for the moment, it should not be the rule. If it is, it is indicative of the quality of instruction you are getting and also the higher graded student's acutal ability and knowledge.

The point about a student going to class 2 times a week and then testing and not ever been shown a technique on the test is so true! This happened on every test I took after yellow sash. No shit!.
                            Poor standards of examination leads to poor, untried students. Period.

Or they would ask you a question that was from a higher sash that you were'nt even supposed to know at that level. Or they ask you some question that was'nt even in the student manual/curriculum.
                            Essentially they aren't even paying attention to what they are supposed to have taught you or don't know what they have taught their students.

Comment

Originally posted by Askari
                              A scan of the link shows that it is not linked to from anywhere else except Bullshido. So they only want people from Bullshido reading that particular page.

There own students cant link to it from inside the site.

The motive could be a plan to target people who either click the link or buy the book. If FSD management is planning on targeting the bullshido reader through their traditional intimidation methods and bully tactics, this could get really interesting.

it's like my momma always said, you can't trust nobody no more.

Comment

The teaching methods described by enhanced are a sticking point at the schools. We were chastized often for "teaching" other students. Sijo got upset about this on more than one occassion. We were always told that if we had a question that we were to put up our hand or whatever to get the attention of the instructor, but that we were never to teach each other. In some cases this worked fine. I come back again to sifu Scott Hill - I never had a problem with this issue in his classes. He was constantly head up, looking around, and circulating throughout the class. I rarely had to wait to get instruction, pointers, or corrections from him. Some of the other instructors, however, didn't really seem to care. Oftentimes they would give instruction then go to the front administrative desk and busy themselves with paperwork or whatnot. It was frustrating.

Another related issue was the fact that different instructors taught the same skill in different ways. The gave different reference points and movement patterns sometimes. THAT got extremely frustrating to me. I found that the most senior guys - sifu Scott Hill, sifu Pat Marcil, sifu Stephane P., and sifu Martin P. - were all consistent and taught the same things the same way. In every other case things could be completely different. I actually had the nerve (by their standards) to say to one of my sifus that I had been taught a different way by sifu Scott. That did not go over so well. I was also chastized for presenting variations on some closing techniques that I had been taught by sifu Scott (though the sifu teaching me did not know who had taught them to me) when asked in class what the different variations were. When I explained who had taught me the techniques the instructor then refused to acknowledge me. These inconsistencies really bothered me.

Finally, the assitant instructor thing was an issue for a lot of reasons. FSD has a "Leadership team". This is, of course, just another way for them to get money from you. I am not too sure how things work in other schools, but in FSD to "train" to become an instructor you have to pay (big surprise). You get a grey sash and a leadership team patch to sew onto your shirt. To my knowledge there is not a limit to the level you must be at to join the leadership team. As such it is theoretically possible to be a white sash and be an assistant instructor. This only made the inconsistencies of training more frustrating. I do not blame this on the assistant instructors at all. Many of them, in my opinion, tried very hard, but in many cases they were simply trying to teach things that were beyond their level of understanding. In FSD everything, including warm up excercises, are tested in promotion tests. In most cases the assistant instructors run warm ups. Often then get the teaching points wrong. While I was able to identify when they were screwing up and could follow through the correct way, I often saw flaws in the way new students performed for this reason. Certain assistants, Brad and Martin for example, were great and very helpful. Others were, well, lacking. The sifus would leave them in charge of warmups and not bother to correct any of the mistakes. In many cases full classes would be taught by an assistant. Perhaps this is regular practice in other schools, but it was very problematic from what I saw in FSD. The particular case mentioned by enhanced (I think) about a blue sash being an assistant is a prime example. How is a blue sash supposed to be able to teach a brown sash a new skill or correct him on a review skill? Simply put, he can't. How much value, then, is the brown sash getting out of a class taught by a blue sash? Again, simply put, none.

The last thing in my rant for today is the issue of what is taught in class. I began counting. At one point I was taught exactly the same skill in seven consecutive classes taught by the same sifu. The skill was for a sash level below mine so was of no real use to me. In another case, I went twenty classes following a promotion test where I was taught no new material at all. They now push for students to test every six months. As it is recommended that you train in class twice per week, there would be roughly 48 classes between tests by their standards. By that math I went almost half way from test to test before I wa taught a new skill that I would need for my next promotion test.

Ok. Enough ranting for now. I am very excited that this thread has now been split. Knowledge is power.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X