This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iscariot,

I would just be taking your money when I bet on "Absolute Rip-Off of grappling 101 DVD bought at Walmart with extremely poorly executed copies of the techniques."

Ooops, your right, that would be crappling.

So this would be why they came on bullshido and posted about how they kept secrets from their students? Thanks FSDManager, you were a big help to this thread.

I love the signature on their website, does anyone recognize this piece of handwriting?

Comment

LOL, I think the combination of Andrea and Askari's posts has lead me to fully endorse the belief:

"It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys."

TKD

PS - Most work safe photo I could find of Real Doll (dude that site is creepy!)

TKD

Comment

Originally posted by Askari
        Someone must get me this DVD.
        Don't worry. I'll bet that it'll be on the torrentz and YouTube quick enough.

Comment

After lurking through some (but not all by any stretch) of the thousand or two FSD posts on here I figure I'd put in my two cents. I've never trained FSD, but am good friends with several former students (ones that were there for several years ad achieved fairly high saches), as well as meeting some of the instructors and students in a social setting on numerous occasions.
          I will say that Fang did some pretty good things for some of my friends, it got them in great shape (well, relative to the tubby shape the were before they started), and got them out of pretty bad ruts that they were in. So, that would be a "good thing" (tm martha stewart). Plus, I never had a bad experience with any of the instructors, other then one time an instructor told me to call him Sifu while we were at a bar (he quickly realized that I wasn't actually a student and said don't worry about it). However I kinda always felt like I was being sold something. (was told I have a "good energy" about myself and I should really come train on more than one accosion).
          That being said, I do agree with almost all of the negative stuff that's been written about the school. From talking to former students (once again, people who'd been there for years and devoted a lot of time, energy, and money, not just guys that were there for the free month). The fact that you can't progress without joining the Back Belt Club, the ridiculousness of the week end in Casselman training camp (sadly I haven't spoken to anyone who got to smell the doggy poo), the rampant cas grab for seminars / etc, and the cult like following that they try to instill in there students, the whole "we are the best" thing but really don't have anything legit to back it up, 'cept for some certifications that I could get myself if I dig in to my change jar.
          So if people are willing to shell out more money then a personal trainer at good life would cost them to get in to shape, then great. You'll even learn how to punch people in the neck and kick them in the groin (enough to beat up 95% of people on the street). However, if you're looking for true quality MMA training, well, I can't say you won't get it there (was never a student), but with all that's said about them (lots of it fact based), I can't understand why anyone who knows how to google would join up. Unless of course they're looking for secrets like the "heart attack punch" ofco...

Comment

Originally posted by cajun stu
            However, if you're looking for true quality MMA training, well, I can't say you won't get it there (was never a student), but with all that's said about them (lots of it fact based), I can't understand why anyone who knows how to google would join up.
            Why have, and why do people continue to join up? An issue that has not been discussed here (as far as I know) in any depth is the successful advertising at FSD. Whatever we might say or feel about FSD there is no question that Mr. Patenaude knows who his target audience is and he customizes his ads appropriately. He is looking for males between 15-23; from high school to university. Individuals at this age are generally able to find the funds and the spare time to join the club. More importantly, many males at this age are beginning to go through the angst of male insecurity and fear. This is further aggrevated by the compressed atmosphere of high school where the alpha-male competition is particularly high. We can laugh at ads that say "Fear No Man", but this is exactly what the FSD target audience wants to hear. Again we can laugh at the videos on the FSD site but to the novice these look like the coolest things in the world.

This is a cultic variation of a millenialist, battered-woman syndrome. Promise salvation to the weak and dispossessed, hold out an answer to their problems that will come "someday", tell them that salvation has not been reached because they are not worthy, and keep moving the promised answer further away so the student is always just out of reach of his promised salvation.

Comment

Hey Stu,

What exactly was the point of your haphazard typed post?

For clarity when you say 'I do agree with almost all of the negative stuff' then you are somewhat obliged to weigh in on where you 'didn't' agree.

TKD

Comment

Originally posted by TKD Black Belt
                Hey Stu,

What exactly was the point of your haphazard typed post?

For clarity when you say 'I do agree with almost all of the negative stuff' then you are somewhat obliged to weigh in on where you 'didn't' agree.

TKD
                The point would be that although there are plenty of negatives about the school, there are some positives. As long as the students go there with an open mind (meanning not buying the "we're the best" mentality that the school seems to have) and have the money to spare, then it probaly isn't the school from hell that it's made out to be.
                If I lived accross the street from one of there schools and was just looking for a place to get some exercise and a regular gym setting wasn't my thing, then it probably wouldn't be the worst thing to do.
                From my understanding they do give you a good cardio workout and show you how to throw a straight punch. If your training goal isn't anything more then that, and you can put up with the rest of the crap, then I'd say some good can be had at the school.
                Unfortunately they sell themselves as the be all and end all of fighting, which they aren't (or even close), they want you to "drink the cool aid" / don't question a thing. So it's not a school for me.
                But if you go there knowing what you're getting in to, stick to the regular classes, and it gets you moving / out of a couch potato lifestyle, then in this case (which would be a case that a lot of people are in), the positives could outweigh the negatives.

Comment

What are the rates for a one on one personal trainer in Canada for the amount of training time FSD offers?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewa
                    Why have, and why do people continue to join up?
                    Have you SEEN THE LOGO!?!?!!?!

DAMN that is a fine logo.

Seriously, that's Cobra Kai level awesomeness right there.

Comment

You know whats a great workout? Bodyweight exercises and jogging and best of all its free!
                      I don't think that FSD can even use the excuse of it being a 'good' workout. Because you can get better workouts for cheaper (Free, if you really want). If FSD was advertised as cardio kickboxing or some such then they'd be fine but as is they are claiming to be an actual effective fighting system.

Comment

Training at FSD will get you in better shape...
                        Tai Chi will get you in better shape.
                        Sooooo what,
                        so will walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day.
                        So will training at just about any other MMA school which is what I would prefer to do..

Wonder who certified their grappling ? Can't wait to see the grappling video..

Cajun Stu, there may be a few positives at FSD, but the negatives out weigh them greatly..
                        and I mean greatly.....

Comment

The point would be that although there are plenty of negatives about the school,
                          - Really?!? You're fucking kidding me. Hey guys, apparently there is some stuff that ain't quite right here!

there are some positives.
                          - What?!? Such as?

As long as the students go there with an open mind (meanning not buying the "we're the best" mentality that the school seems to have)
                          - Well this sort of flies in the face of the whole 'target audience' thing no don't it? I mean why go to all the trouble of collecting the kool aid kids if they don't really need them?

and have the money to spare,
                          - Oh, so if I have money and an open mind?

then it probaly isn't the school from hell that it's made out to be.
                          - Do you have stock in there or something? Did you miss the multiple assaults on students and strangers? The threats and bullying behavior that occurs pretty much as often as Jack changes his silk robes? The entirely shitty style of fighting?

If I lived accross the street from one of there schools and was just looking for a place to get some exercise and a regular gym setting wasn't my thing, then it probably wouldn't be the worst thing to do.
                          - Ah, the ever popular 'not the worst thing you could do' argument because this isn't a last ditch attempt to recover an argument. Listen you have three choices tomorrow when you get your coffee, you could a.) buy your coffee and come home, b.) not go and buy coffee or c.) buy your coffee and then shoot up the place. Apparently b is your best option when compared with c.

From my understanding they do give you a good cardio workout and show you how to throw a straight punch.
                          - Well let's get a few things cleared up here, you either no nothing about FSD or you do. Which is it? Also, the word 'straight' and FSD aren't usually being tossed around together a lot. (ps - from my experience FSD doesn't even teach you to throw a straight punch so I guess that 'assumption' is incorrect.)

If your training goal isn't anything more then that, and you can put up with the rest of the crap, then I'd say some good can be had at the school.
                          - So um, my goal is to increase my cardiovascular functioning and learn a double chung choi?

Unfortunately they sell themselves as the be all and end all of fighting, which they aren't (or even close), they want you to "drink the cool aid" / don't question a thing.
                          - Again, how do you know and please don't start with the 'friend of a friend of a friend' stories.

So it's not a school for me.
                          - But you'd let your sister, who was looking for SD training, go there?

But if you go there knowing what you're getting in to, stick to the regular classes, and it gets you moving / out of a couch potato lifestyle, then in this case (which would be a case that a lot of people are in), the positives could outweigh the negatives.
                          - Ah the 'anything is better than nothing' argument. Sad really.

Dude, please. You need to:

a.) Come clean and give us your whole background

or

b.) fuck off and go back to your mom's basement.

TKD

Comment

TKD BB,

Didnt you know that today is:

Your supposed to let them think they are below the radar for awhile.

Comment

OK, well, I honestly didn't mean to defend FSD here, so I won't. And no, I don't own stock. My background, well, there isn't much to say. I never trained any martial arts until about a year ago, and for the past year I've been doing BJJ on and off, but that's besides the point. I'd say my school's name, but I honestly don't want any FSD'ers getting any clue to who I am, 'cause I don't think I've been all that complementary to them, and I've heard how they treat people who don't follow JP's lead.
                              My experiences with FSD, well, I have a few friends who are former students, and have met a few other former students and instructors in social settings.
                              I would never recomend the place to anyone.
                              I just think that comparing the place to an over priced Tai Bo class where you're force fed god worship, belittled when you question anything, threatenned when you leave, and made to develop a nose for dog poo would be a better way to make people think twice about going, rather then the "the school is shit" that dominate a lot of the posts here. They are exceptional salesmen, and if the goal is to "out" them and stop people from going, well, I'd say ridicule, rather than insults, is the way to go.
                              All I intended to do was give my opinion on the place with the limited experience I have. And if I get bitch slapped around for it, oh well. I'm a noob, and for all you know I drink twelve gallons of cool-aid a night, so you're comments are fair. It's been a while since I've been on any forum / newsgroup of any kind, gotta get rid of some rust I guess.
                              Last edited by cajun stu; 1/28/2007 9:54am, .

Comment

Hi Stu,

There is a newbie town on this board where you are protected from being flamed. Its safer there until the rust is off.

Your first posts here came across in the same way that some of the well established sock puppets have opperated, however you did leave out the overpriced angle.
                                Originally posted by Stu
                                well, I'd say ridicule, rather than insults, is the way to go.
                                I disagree. As I see it a strong hold to exactly the facts of the situation, with direct quotations from their own website etc, and examples from their own videos, is the best way to go in terms of showing the truth of these guys.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X