Most Useless Martial Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
    Is masochism the definitive defensive martial art?

D8
    That gives a different perspective on "lay and pray".

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      Really?
      Any point fighting makes the list imho.
      Eh, I'd argue if you go full contact its ok, and its regular. Theres a big gap between knockdown karate and your strip mall shotokan club after all.

Now if only we could get a kyokushin taekwondo equivalent....

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
        That gives a different perspective on "lay and pray".

thats not masochism, that's Catholicism

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
          Eh, I'd argue if you go full contact its ok, and its regular. Theres a big gap between knockdown karate and your strip mall shotokan club after all.

Now if only we could get a kyokushin taekwondo equivalent....
          Kyokushin Taekwondo equivalent? ITF TKD is probably the closest you'll get.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkaiser View Post
            Kyokushin Taekwondo equivalent? ITF TKD is probably the closest you'll get.
            even that's not looking too impressive tbh

Comment

even that's not looking too impressive tbh
              Guess Gongkwon Yusul is a better equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkaiser View Post
                Guess Gongkwon Yusul is a better equivalent.
                Nah, gongkwon yusul is a hapkido offshoot, not taekwondo.

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
                  Nah, gongkwon yusul is a hapkido offshoot, not taekwondo.
                  Still looks pretty good though.

Comment

Still looks pretty good though.
                    Had a look at the sparring/tournament as well as demonstrative material on youtube. Sparring looked like friendly sparring in (International) Kyokushin Budo Kai (Allround Fighting) rules I do at times, hands may be a bit low and inviting for surprise hits.

Same phenomenon: Not perfect technique both in striking/kicking and especially throwing/groundwork. Most of the times the better grappler wins if not caught by K.O. hit before. I like the fact they do full contact, but from the looks of it they do not learn proper defence and transition into offence in groundwork or do not put enough emphasis on it in training. A judoka or a BJJ player being used to get hit and training beyond pure sport rules will probably destroy those guys.

As I said, the groundwork defence is especially poor IMHO.

Comment

It seems to vary from "kinda meh" to "pretty solid". I've never seen gongkwon yusul that belongs on the "great" end of the spectrum, but considering it's an alive art it probably exists. The technical curriculum is fine but the minimum standard for instructors is low, which in some areas means that the quality of instruction is variable, particularly where GKYS is new. I have developed a personal liking to it though, there are common trends in the ways it's instructed that make its lessons particularly engaging, and its usual sparring ruleset is a lot of fun.

Comment

How does White crane stack up compared to other arts. I know its bastard child Chun isnt highly regarded.

Comment

How does White crane stack up compared to other arts. I know its bastard child Chun isnt highly regarded.
                          Well... White Crane probably influenced early Tode (later karate) in Okinawa. But speaking about modern White Crane there is a lot kung foolishness. It just doesn't seem very practical.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X