Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for ex Jung SuWon / Tae Yun Kim students (Part 4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kittyki
    replied
    Wow. Leave it to them to cut back 10 years and show that testing. SAK wanted to use the Janet Jackson song 'nasty boys' for the camo dance but when they were going to post it, I suggested EAS not post a copyrighted song on the internet without Janet's permission. That is why it's redubbed with Korean music. SAK was into doing weird dance numbers, and loved the Macarena also, which she embarrassed us with at a book signing around the same time, in a public mall. The whole military camo thing was popular in 2001, ironically before 9/11 and appropriately afterward. The testing is from late 2001. I was in it. But the odd thing is they've had two black belt testings or more since and don't post those! Hard to believe that the apex of their 'awesome promotional testing videos' was 2001.

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    The website has more recent videos now - (2001).

I can only say I felt sickened when I saw people in camoflage doing their forms to the beat of a drum and some martial music in the background. That and the brief clip of a Hitler type salute makes me wonder what in heck is going on there.

In the second video, the people in red dobuks kneel and bow to TYK - something I have never seen in the many martial arts schools I have visited and some I have trained in. It looks like veneration.

__________________________________________________ ____
    is reputo is est Deus
    Last edited by Failed Student; 6/06/2011 9:41am, .

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    For some reason, two of your images ( of Asian women?) are unviewable, Shadow Dancer....I just get the red "x" in a box.

Anyhow, I was contemplating this July 9 event, and here's what I believe is happening:

Because it's a fund raiser and the TYK Foundation is a non-profit, they're getting a steep discount on the rental of the auditorium. (Damned if I can find out anything about the mission statement of the foundation, but anyway...)

They have solicited the prizes they are offering, under the pretext that monies earned from this event go to the charities shown in their advertisements. The donor also gets a tax deduction for the donation.

Assuming the aforementioned is correct, this isn't costing JSW and TYK much to stage, and they should be able to clear a tidy sum, assuming they get some interest in this event. Still, I think the ticket prices are a bit steep, even if the proceeds go to charity.

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    I see the JSW website has been updated with some more hype. It is interesting however, that the video shows the TYK of perhaps twenty five years ago, and wearing the ATC patch on her dobuk. She certainly has changed in appearance (as many of us have in that period of time), but still I find it a bit disingenuous to show a younger version of TYK and not the heavier, fuller faced, zaftig person she is today.

Well, now we know who the special guest is - Lou Gossett Jr. I enjoyed him very much in "Enemy Mine" as the alien that befriended the Earthling. I had thought the special guest might be "The Governator" but I guess he has problems of his own at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    The JSW website doesn't give the details I am looking for concerning the prizes. For instance, that trip to Hawaii - is it a plane ticket, or hotel accomodations, or both? And how long a stay is included in that trip? I want some specifics .

This raffle is an inducement to bring in students. I think it also departs from the original concept of martial arts training and cheapens it by dangling lures of money and other prizes. The old masters must be turning in their graves.

Last edited by Failed Student; 6/03/2011 6:35pm, .

Leave a comment:

• kittyki
    replied
    So in order to get the free ticket you have to sign up for classes again and pay them well over what it would cost to attend the testing. Then you would likely be contracted to show up for class again, out of shape and all since you haven't trained in so long, and pay for each month. Such a deal! I hope this former student refuses that schitck. And who does the person contact if they cancel the event because there aren't enough vouchers? Heh.

Leave a comment:

• kittyki
    replied
    Oh and said student would have to sign up again, which would likely incur a costly membership in their coveted organization, a new black belt, and the like. Needless to say, since this person is not a student anymore and not on BS, I will not go into that.

Leave a comment:

• kittyki
    replied
    GM MBF offered to one former student the same deal as he likely did to others, a free month training and entry in a raffle to win a free IPod or ITouch.

Hello (name withheld as she isn't on here), did you hear about July 9th at the Santa Clara Convention Center! Jung SuWon Black Belt Testing and Super Master's Exhibition! You are invited. Please bring friends. As a student you get 1 free ticket. There is a prize contest also to win iPad2, iTouch, $500 Cash, Trip to Hawaii. See www.jsw.com for details. He can do, She can do, Why not me!

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    I just checked the Santa Clara Convention Center events schedule, and TYK's demo/testing is not on there. I think if it is to happen, it may be contingent on advance sales revenue being sufficient to give them a deposit, and so far the results of their advertising haven't produced much. (Just some rational speculation on my part).

Perhaps all former students and their friends will be invited to attend so it will look like a big success, but either the invitees will have to pay their own way or the voucher givers (students) will have to ante up. There is probably a big push going on within JSW to get students to get those vouchers out there, and probably some kind of a prize for the person that gives out the most vouchers...woe betide the laggard that gives out the fewest.

__________________________________________________ __
    quaero nunc verba deficere

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    Kittyki - Apparently advance ticket sales aren't going well, as they have extended the discount purchase deadline from May 31 to June 22. Probably you are being invited to fill a seat, that's all. Then again, as an ex JSW black belt, you might be called upon to break a board or cement block, who knows? She likes calling upon unsuspecting audience members to show what "chi" is all about.

Leave a comment:

• kittyki
    replied
    I was just invited to that black belt testing. I refused. They would love to get an earful out of me there right now. Wouldn't it be fascinating though? Everyone still in ranting like banshees, kissing TYK's feet, and the like. But no, I will not be going. I'm sure there would be a happy lawayer or two there, just waiting for some elaborate but futile interrogation. I will not give them any chance. Also they are charging to even attend the testing! Holy cow. They must be desperate. Maybe they don't have enough students to test the testing students. The cast includes a former yong sa student, probably one of the last ones, who is an adult now.

Leave a comment:

• kittyki
    replied
    How long has this thread gone on? Six years? Who started it? And nobody is using their mouth to type.

Leave a comment:

• clarehoare
    replied
    Originally posted by kittyki View Post
    Oooh...and another thing, please correct me on this. Who was it who TYK named JO after? That's all the other post was about. Besides, Clare, TYK knowns JDMS ....
    Correct i dont come on here unless im brought up... Please stop running your mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy Kim
    replied
    In life, we are to look for the good in a person. She has or has had good moments, but the evil just took over, The experience has, in fact, made us stronger. Even if we now have mistrust more so than before. You can never get those years back, you can just live the ones that you have now, to the fullest.

Leave a comment:

• Failed Student
    replied
    Bemused - I was listening to National Public Radio this afternoon, and they were discussing the PCLR test - which is a means of determing whether a person is a psychopath and whether they can be released from jail and back into society. The checklist you enumerated seems to parallel this. This is used a lot in the California penal system......

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X