Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pokeroo
    replied
    To make a brief comment on the gun climate in Canada. I'm a Canadian from Toronto. Legal gun ownership in Canada is much more restricted. Much fewer people are legally allowed to own guns and you can't carry them on you wherever you go. In Toronto we have a high gun murder rate to do with gangs and illegal guns that are smuggled over the border from the United States. Regina has the worst shooting death rate. As far as kids bringing guns to school, that sort of thing is getting worse. I believe it has more to do with gangs though.

In eastern Canada I think the attitude of the public towards guns is "why?" People legally own them for hunting, sport, and collection. In rural areas such as a farm they might have some use for self defence, but you don't hear a lot of Canadians talking about how everyone would be safer if we all carried guns. The criticism we often hear of the government and their gun control laws is that in a knee jerk reaction to gun violence they crack down on legit gun owners instead of focusing on the illegal flow of black market guns and illegal gun owners doing the crime.

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    My point is there are way more guns in America. Wether or not they're evenly spread out. So you shouldn't expect much similarity between Canadian and U.S. gun crime because of that.

Leave a comment:

• ignatzami
    replied
    Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
    Wikipedia link is from 2007 90% vs 31.5%
    Originally posted by Wikipedia
    As many people possess multiple weapons and many others possess none, this number is not a representation of the percentage of people who possess guns in each nation.
    So why are we treating this data as anything close to valid?

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    Wikipedia link is from 2007 90% vs 31.5%

Leave a comment:

• ignatzami
    replied
    Originally posted by bitchslapper View Post
    That data is sixteen years old....

Add to that that even that data shows a 9.9% difference in ownership, so the percentage of gun deaths should be 9.9% different as well right? You and I both know that Canada has a fraction of the gun related offenses. Certainly more then 9.9% less.

EDIT: I can't even find relevant NCVS/NCR data for 1993 online.
    Last edited by ignatzami; 4/27/2009 9:29am, .

Leave a comment:

• Lindz
    replied
    Originally posted by ignatzami View Post

See, I disagree. Look at Canada, a country with almost identical gun possession rates, yet with next to no gun related school violence. I simply refuse to believe that ease of acquisition equates to violence. I had ready access to firearms my entire childhood, yet I never shot anyone.
    Uh wrong Canada has a far lower posession rate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_o..._gun_ownership http://www.allcountries.org/gun_ownership_rates.html

Leave a comment:

• ignatzami
    replied
    Originally posted by Munacra View Post
    I think you guys are getting nostalgic over a past which never existed. Stop bleeding from your hearts and excuse violence for the sake of violence.

School violence in many shapes and forms have existed for centuries, either in psychological abuse, physical abuse, or in ways that approach manslaughter. Either kids brings knives to school and stab schoolmates, or torment them with demeaning words and exclusion, etc.
    This is true, but just because it always has been does not mean that it always has to be. Just because kids bully, should not excuse us from addressing bullying.

The problem here lies in the ease which anyone can find firearms, and the refusal of school authorities to deal with the problem in an effective way. It also lies with the massive media coverage of these past massacres, which I think have a bit of a trend effect. These bullied kids want attention, and want their voice to be heard. A voice which the dominant ideology (IM A MANLY MAN RAWR) tends to shut out because you know, America is for those who boast about being strong and all that bullshit.
    See, I disagree. Look at Canada, a country with almost identical gun possession rates, yet with next to no gun related school violence. I simply refuse to believe that ease of acquisition equates to violence. I had ready access to firearms my entire childhood, yet I never shot anyone.

I agree that the media coverage encourages copy-cats, but in the same vein the problem is systematic, copy cats do not excuse us from dealing with the issues.

Bringing a firearm to school and wrecking the place is a result of bullying, not a cause thereof.

Therefore, it is a false dichotomy to say that more boxing = less bullying. because a)there is no proof for that. b)it can be either a case of a victim gaining a weapon to fight back or giving the bully better weapons with which to torment. The repercussions of that are obvious.
    See, I think your missing the point. I'm not saying more boxing -> less bullying. Though I could have phrased things better, I'm saying the confidence and self possession gained through rigorous physical exercise -> less bullying. Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, all are good options because they instill in the practitioner a sense of self.

In my opinion, if a kid wants to learn to box, he can go to a boxing gym. If he wants to learn judo, go to a judo school. Sports are great, but I wouldn't trust the current school administration to handle basic literacy, so I would never trust them with potentially lethal sports.
    But again, just because the incumbent administration can't be trusted to tie it's own shoes, why should we not take steps to make schools a better place?

And I know you all almost died of an apoplexy when I mentioned gun control in passing. Get over it.
    I didn't. But I do think gun control is the easy way out. I can point to a dozen studies that say less guns equate to more crime. If you want to reduce gun violence increase gun education. Allow students to carry concealed in college, allow faculty to carry concealed in schools, make it as much a part of gym class as baseball and soccer, teach kids to respect guns and they stop being a toy.

Leave a comment:

• Munacra
    replied
    And I know you all almost died of an apoplexy when I mentioned gun control in passing. Get over it.

Leave a comment:

• Munacra
    replied
    I think you guys are getting nostalgic over a past which never existed. Stop bleeding from your hearts and excuse violence for the sake of violence.

School violence in many shapes and forms have existed for centuries, either in psychological abuse, physical abuse, or in ways that approach manslaughter. Either kids brings knives to school and stab schoolmates, or torment them with demeaning words and exclusion, etc.

The problem here lies in the ease which anyone can find firearms, and the refusal of school authorities to deal with the problem in an effective way. It also lies with the massive media coverage of these past massacres, which I think have a bit of a trend effect. These bullied kids want attention, and want their voice to be heard. A voice which the dominant ideology (IM A MANLY MAN RAWR) tends to shut out because you know, America is for those who boast about being strong and all that bullshit.

Bringing a firearm to school and wrecking the place is a result of bullying, not a cause thereof.

Therefore, it is a false dichotomy to say that more boxing = less bullying. because a)there is no proof for that. b)it can be either a case of a victim gaining a weapon to fight back or giving the bully better weapons with which to torment. The repercussions of that are obvious.

In my opinion, if a kid wants to learn to box, he can go to a boxing gym. If he wants to learn judo, go to a judo school. Sports are great, but I wouldn't trust the current school administration to handle basic literacy, so I would never trust them with potentially lethal sports.
    Last edited by Munacra; 4/23/2009 3:08pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Inter-scholastic Full Contact Stickfighting.

Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    replied
    Originally posted by BSDaemon View Post
    What good is a "claim of comprehensiveness"? No good at all. I've never seen a peer reviewed publication, or any other publication which has made such a claim in good faith.
    assumemust attempt to find representative samples, else they cannot find trends.

And you are wrong about the absence of selection criteria
    if anycould simply correspond to a trend in media attention.

So unless you can point out specific events that are missing from the list, I would say your criticism of it is entirely baseless.

Leave a comment:

• ignatzami
    replied
    Originally posted by TxSanshou View Post
    The only problem with that is kids don't fight anymore they are all pussies there are one or two of us left who will fight like men but most kids you fight will just pull a gun or a knife on you or just call over their buddies and jump you with 4 to 6 other people and if for some reason they actually fight you with out one of the three things I listed and you win they will come back the next day with one of the three things I listed or all three of them. Best way to deal with a fight these days is just walk away if you can. I like your idea of having something like boxing in school just because it would make school more interesting but ultimately kids would still bring guns and knives to school just in case someone beats them so they can get revenge.
    In the current social climate, maybe. But we aim to change the current climate. What I'm suggesting is a long term societal re-wiring of the way children, and adults, look at violence.

I'm suggesting we do everything in our power to make sure that kids, and adults, solve disputes either a) verbally, or failing that b) in a controlled non-lethal sporting environment.

If a student, or adult, decides to take matters into their own hands their punishment should be swift, and forceful. Given a generation you would see a drastic shift in the way we as a society view violence.

Leave a comment:

• BSDaemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Petter View Post
    claim to be comprehensive. The fact that the Wikipedia list is heavily slanted toward recent shootings may
    What good is a "claim of comprehensiveness"? No good at all. I've never seen a peer reviewed publication, or any other publication which has made such a claim in good faith.

And you are wrong about the absence of selection criteria, they're right there at the top of the page:

These are attacks that have occurred on school property or related primarily to school issues/events. A broad definition of the word attacks is used for this list so as to include public attacks or one's self (suicide)
    So unless you can point out specific events that are missing from the list, I would say your criticism of it is entirely baseless.

Leave a comment:

• Petter
    replied
    Originally posted by Hesperus View Post
    Knowledge is power.
    claim to be comprehensive. The fact that the Wikipedia list is heavily slanted toward recent shootings may

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    I completely agree with IGN. Scholastic boxing = fewer Columbine massacres. To those questioning the lack of school shootings in the past let me give my own testimony. I grew up in a big, depressed city (Boston) in the 70's. There were school stabbings but no school shootings. Kids, for one thing, had virtually no access to anything beyond a "Saturday Night Special"/Zip gun, which is a one-shot dealie. Nobody hunted multiple victims inside schools. Nobody. Gangs fought after school or at night. Violence inside schools was spontaneuous, not planned.

Rev.jc.'s program for teaching boxing, wrestling (+ subs) to kids as a form of scholastic MMA is exactly what our society needs to turn back the tide of ironic violence that is changing the face of our country.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X