Mayhem Miller on Bully BEATDOWN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Siniq View Post
    Am I the only one that didn't get into MA because he was bullied?
    Well, I was bullied in middle school, but I think the statute of limitations had run out by the time I started MA (39).

I'm still gonna watch the show. This sounds like great television period.

Comment

I think bullying is kind of a circular experience. I think the one-sided "Mongo the school bully" guy is rare, as is the total victim, and what happens more often is everyone takes and gives.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmeat View Post
        You do realise that "those guys on that UFC program" aren't necessarily representative of the MMA community. There are a lot of "traditional martial artists" (a misnomer, but I'll leave that be for now) who now train in MMA, and hold dear traditional values.

It's not your martial art that dictates your values, it's your own values that dictate how your portray your martial art.
        And if it's taught devoid of values, then so it will be portrayed. Americans in general, and MMA in particular, get a bad name from simply looking for advantages without first showing respect, and so they end up furthering the image of "The Ugly American."
        Last edited by kungfu2u; 3/11/2009 6:34pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by kungfu2u View Post
          And if it's taught devoid of values, then so it will be portrayed.

There is a nice saying that goes "You can't polish a turd." If someone is going to be a jackass bully, no ammount of traditional values taught via martial arts is going to help correct that problem. Notice the large amount of "TMA"'ers who continually act like richeous idiots whenever their views are challenged.

Comment

And if it's taught devoid of values, then so it will be portrayed.
            I respectfully disagree. I don't think it's fair to blame someone's lack of character on their chosen martial art. It's a personal failing.

Anyway, this is off topic, so I'll leave that discussion for another time.

Comment

On topic: This show has potential. To second an earlier statement it would be cooler if they were able to do some sort of accelerated training to get the bullied to fight for themselves. Its nice to see bullies get bullied. Justice is sweet sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadmeat View Post
                I respectfully disagree. I don't think it's fair to blame someone's lack of character on their chosen martial art. It's a personal failing.

Anyway, this is off topic, so I'll leave that discussion for another time.
                It's not off-topic. Again, if the MA isn't teaching good values, it's teaching bad ones, encouraging and empowering bullies through silence, and giving the message that violence is ok.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Originally posted by Hooded Justice View Post
                On topic: This show has potential. To second an earlier statement it would be cooler if they were able to do some sort of accelerated training to get the bullied to fight for themselves. Its nice to see bullies get bullied. Justice is sweet sometimes.
                I agree that it would be better to train the victims. But the best justice, would be in court. It's tempting to see the bullies get their own medicine, but it's never for the best.
                Last edited by kungfu2u; 3/11/2009 6:48pm, .

Comment

It's not off-topic. Again, if the MA isn't teaching good values, it's teaching bad ones, encouraging and empowering bullies through silence, and giving the message that violence is ok.

I agree that it would be better to train the victims. But the best justice, would be in court. It's tempting to see the bullies get their own medicine, but it's never for the best.

Its not the job of martial arts to teach values. Its the job of martial arts to teach proper fighting technique and method. Its when they decide to focus more on "cultivating the person" instead of cultivating the fighter that the martial aspect is lost and you only have art.

As for the courts being the best justice...I haven't laughed like that since I was a school girl. Justice is about balance. Courts are about laws which rarely ever coincide with balance. True justice will be had the instant the first strike lands on their face and they realize that they fucked up.

Comment

Am I detecting a trend? I got picked on in high school as well. Nothing is better than running into former douchebags and being like... I fight in a cage now and teach other people to do it as well. Why yes I remember every time you called me a name or shoved me. Yeah that's right... Cool. Come by for a free class and try it out =)

Comment

Who said I got into martial arts because I got bullied? I was already in martial arts when I was being bullied. I didn't fight back because my dad told me he'd pull me out if I started fights.

Comment

I think every thing about this show looks absolutely perfect, except the bullies should have to get in the cage with Bas. No one hates bullies more than Bas.
                        Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                        Luta Livre flees the fight,
                        Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                        Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

The show looks fun, but it's on MTV. I haven't watched MTV since the late 80s. How does this show end up on MTV? What happened to music videos? Will I have to sit through 20 minutes of zit cream ads?

I wasn't bullied in high school because I was the biggest, strongest guy in my high school. But as a nerd-jock hybrid, many of my best friends were chicken necked jokers whose sharp tongues often got them into hot water. I put out a bunch of fires for them, but it rarely came to fighting. OK, so I dented a few lockers...

Comment

Looks like a fun show

Comment

The late 80's was about the last time MTV had music on it.
                              Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                              Luta Livre flees the fight,
                              Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                              Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

I don't get bullied much, i just wanted to be able to kick ass.

this show looks awesome.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X