Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frank Mir Promotes Guy to Black Belt in No-gi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Mir Promotes Guy to Black Belt in No-gi?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yozCUjpvrSA

Putting this here, not because I think Mir's a fraud, but because I wanted to avoid fighter bashing. Maybe it could have gone in the MMA forum? Anyway...

There's a thread over on the UG about this and some are questioning the legitimacy of it. They are alleging that this guy has only been training for two years but is an instructor at Frank's school. And then there's the no-gi aspect.

I am not much in the know about such things, including BJJ politics. Can anyone give some facts about this situation?

With the current situation of seeing more and more BJJ classes being taught No-Gi with the emphasis being put on MMA, someone being awarded a BB in No-gi BJJ doesn't really come as a shock to me.
    安氏八极拳学生

Comment

If Frank Mir has a BJJ black belt (as contended by sherdog http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/fr...nions-721428/), then wouldn't the rank he gives be...just BJJ rank? In a school where they happen to do no-gi?

I think this is a nomenclature issue.
      What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

It was also the 2 year time frame, which I unfortunately neglected to put in the title.

Comment

Without knowing the guy it is hard to say. He might have judo rank or maybe he competes alot. A guy at my gym has out ranked me and I think alot of it comes down to the fact that he competes alot more than I do (since I don't compete at all).
          There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

Diego Sanchez is also a BJJ blackbelt in nogi, although now's he;s also starting to put on the gi, because he realizes it's value. I think the nogi BB thing is bullshit. If he wants to get a blackbelt, give him one in submission grappling. What's that you say? Giving someone a belt in submission grappling is retarded? Well, so is giving someone a blackbelt in nogi BJJ.

Comment

If he has the skills... then who cares. Why is everyone so worried about the rank and less worried about the guys skills? Give him a black shirt or a black belt or call it wrestling or call it BJJ or call it ground danceing for submission... it should be the skill he has behind the rank and not the rank itself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2
                If Frank Mir has a BJJ black belt (as contended by sherdog http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/fr...nions-721428/), then wouldn't the rank he gives be...just BJJ rank? In a school where they happen to do no-gi?

I think this is a nomenclature issue.
                Thats what I was thinking but I can see how this would raise eyebrows.

The 2 years thing would also raise eyebrows but I would have to know what the guy did before. I know some guys who are shit hot in the nogi department and hang with and even submit BBs but get raped in a gi. So it will depend on the background this guy came from.
                ______
                Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by lionknight
                  If he has the skills... then who cares. Why is everyone so worried about the rank and less worried about the guys skills? Give him a black shirt or a black belt or call it wrestling or call it BJJ or call it ground danceing for submission... it should be the skill he has behind the rank and not the rank itself.
                  Because it's a black belt awarded after two years by a prominent BJJ figure.

That's enough for a double take.

This whole "it should be about skills, a belt holds your pants up" thing is something you throw at people who are obsessed with promotions.

That's not exactly the context of the discussion here. When it comes to fraud in MA, 2 yr BB will always raise some eyebrows regardless.

Comment

Nothing against the promotion, but it does kinda silly to give a guy a belt in nogi. Maybe have color coded board shorts or something.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                      Nothing against the promotion, but it does kinda silly to give a guy a belt in nogi. Maybe have color coded board shorts or something.
                      Oh yeah? Not if you sport THESE:
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

I think the thread on the UG has been deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by lionknight
                          If he does great in BJJ competition it's one thing, but in BJJ competition they were a gi.

Comment

http://onthemat.com/xcart/home.php?cat=173

Yes, i will be buying these once i earn blue.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                            3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                            I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                            That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                            I agree with moosey

Comment

We do belts and rashguards.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X