Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Famous defeats of Judoka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous defeats of Judoka?

Hey all,

I'm writing a piece on Judo history, and could do with an example of a well-known bout of a Judoka losing to, or at least impressively underperforming against someone from another style.

It's not necessary that the other guy had no Judo background, only that he wasn't primarily a Judoka and that he mainly used elements of another style in this fight.

Ideally if anyone can think of such a bout, it'd be handy if they could link to a video/written account of it (or at least of the result) so that I can easily refer to it.

Thanks in advance,

J

Wait, in a MMA / NHB context or grappling? What do you mean by "impressively underperfoming?"

Comment

This should fit into the 'Worlds Shortest Books' category.
      If you can't laugh at yourself,
      Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

as per the gracie way, Helio choked out Kato. this was before helio's fight with kimura.

yoshida's been unimpressive lately, while dong sik yoon is getting much better.... i think dong's first fight against sakuraba (turtles after being punched) was pretty underperforming. then again, it was a horrible, horrible mismatch.

Comment

Karo Ko'd by Alves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinksy
            Hey all,

I'm writing a piece on Judo history, and could do with an example of a well-known bout of a Judoka losing to, or at least impressively underperforming against someone from another style.

It's not necessary that the other guy had no Judo background, only that he wasn't primarily a Judoka and that he mainly used elements of another style in this fight.

Ideally if anyone can think of such a bout, it'd be handy if they could link to a video/written account of it (or at least of the result) so that I can easily refer to it.

Thanks in advance,

J
            I find myself a little bit curious as to why you need this info?

Comment

Originally posted by Slindsay
              I find myself a little bit curious as to why you need this info?
              It's for the paper he's writing at the University of Anti-Judo BJJ Nutriding - Sao Paulo.

Comment

Catch wrestler Ad Santel defeated several Judoka in the 1910's. He did lose to Tokuguro Ito (judoka) later.

Comment

Keith Mielke lost to Sam Adkins. That was epic.
                  Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Toshiro Mifune got beat up my Robert Mitchum in...ah never mind.
                    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
                    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Comment

Don't be silly... Judoka can't be defeated.

It is the will of Kimura.

Comment

Kimura? Isn't he the guy who got knocked out by Rikizodan?

YouTube - Rikidozan V,S. Kimura
                        Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 8/14/2008 5:44pm, .

Comment

The best example I can think of is Royce Gracie Vs. Hidehiko Yoshida from Shockwave 2003, in what was billed as a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Vs. Judo match. This was a big matchup of two world class grapplers, and was expecially relevant since their first bout ended in so much controversy. Yoshida didn't look the greatest during the fight, and Royce dominated the positioning and strikes on the ground. It was ruled a draw since it was a special rules fight with no judges scoring, but Yoshida clearly took the most punishment. This domination was expecially notable since Yoshida outweighs Gracie by 50 pounds.

Comment

Er... how 'bout that old episode of Everybody Loves Rickson where Rickson goes to Japan and basically owns the hell out of all of 'em and everybody is all like "Brazil has muuuuch honor." Did you guys see that one?

Yeah, that was sweet.
                            "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Pawel Nastula lost against Nog in his first MMA fight. Also lost to Barnett and Aleks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X