Chuck Liddel jumps on the Kimbo hate bandwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Liddel jumps on the Kimbo hate bandwagon

The Sun Liddell told The SunThe SunJames Thompson appears to be the leading candidate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I'm the first guy to say that Kimbo has idiot fans that overhype him ridiculously. But i don't understand all the hate on this guy. I mean Chuck admits that he's learning and training MMA. It's not his fault he's EliteXC's biggest draw. He also didn't exactly go around KOing random people, but I'll admit the internet fights were pretty stupid.

Chuck Liddel criticizing Kimbo's "ground game?" Chuck has insane takedown defense, but all of a sudden Chuck Liddel is a BJJ black belt or something?

I really don't get why so many people seem to hate Kimbo so much. Every interview he does he says over and over he's still a small fry in MMA, and he's just trying to train hard and fight whoever they throw in front of him. I don't see why Chuck Liddel needs to be doing interviews taking shots at Kimbo. Kimbo isn't even in the UFC. Why should Chuck care how much hype Kimbo gets?

On another note, James Thompson vs Kimbo? Poor James Thompson lol. He has no chin and likes to try to brawl with people, as evidenced by him getting KTFO at street certified. Should be fun to watch though.

I wanna see Kimbo against an actual MMA fighter. He has just fought uber scrub brawlers...

Comment

Arguably the best thing about Kimbo's personality is his humility. He does admit he needs to get more experience but I think personally he's on his way. As for pure, raw fighting and punching ability the man ain't scared of anyone they put in front of him and he sees it as a personal challenge I think to rise to the top. He's on his way.

Yes, he can be overhyped but unlike many he's not afraid to take a hit, he's not scared to fight anyone and he's doing what he loves. I agree, I see no reason to hate on him. He's going to do good at MMA given the chance and the fact he went out and got training under qualified MMA instructor like Bas Rutten then I say that he's doing it right by trying to get away from bare knuckle fighting and taking his game to a whole new level in the actual ring.

Kudos to you Kimbo and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jsampras3

Chuck Liddel criticizing Kimbo's "ground game?" Chuck has insane takedown defense, but all of a sudden Chuck Liddel is a BJJ black belt or something?

I really don't get why so many people seem to hate Kimbo so much. Every interview he does he says over and over he's still a small fry in MMA, and he's just trying to train hard and fight whoever they throw in front of him. I don't see why Chuck Liddel needs to be doing interviews taking shots at Kimbo. Kimbo isn't even in the UFC. Why should Chuck care how much hype Kimbo gets?

On another note, James Thompson vs Kimbo? Poor James Thompson lol. He has no chin and likes to try to brawl with people, as evidenced by him getting KTFO at street certified. Should be fun to watch though.
        Chuck's a purple belt and a former D1 wrestler. He has a ground game.

I think Chuck sees the push being given to Kimbo and thinks it is bringing the sport into disrepute. OK he now trains with a good camp but he's get's his notoreity from illegal fights and that's not teh sort of association we want with MMA. Until Kimbo fights a MMA player with strong ground skills he's going to be viewed as a freakshow cashing in on illegal boxing fights.

I see their protecting their investment by putting him in with Thompson. Ah well

Comment

He's a purple. That's a couple years ahead of Kimbo.

Comment

The thing is Kimbo is'nt exactly good for the sport of MMA.

MMA has enough stigma attached to it already and many people have been working hard to distance the sport from any association with street brawling.

(For this reason I dont think Dana will ever sign Kimbo to the UFC.)

Besides knocking out a bunch of nobodys and out of shape ageing fighters is not a big deal and should'nt be treated as such.IMO

Kimbo has'nt fought a quality opponent yet and until he does we dont really know how good he is.

I would like to see him up aginst one of these guys:
            Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia , Josh Barnett, Andrei Arlovski, Frank Mir, Fabricio Werdum, Gabriel Gonzaga, Mirko Filipovic,Heath Herring

Comment

You might if he wins a few more fights.

That's EXACTLY what chuck is griping about - that everybody thinks this guy wins a couple of what are basically bar fights and he should get a shot at a belt.

Comment

Wow I didn't know Chuck was a purple belt. Point taken. But one point of my own is apparently law enforcement people saw the videos and determined that Kimbos fights did not constitute crimes. So it's not like Kimbo is this arch criminal beating up random ppl.

But seriously, how does Kimbo getting pushed by EliteXC affect Chuck Liddel in any way? It doesn't take any money from him. It doesn't take away any fights or promotion from Chuck. All it does is bring more fans to MMA, fans who might also contribute to Chuck's bottom line as well. Chuck is probably still the #1 draw in MMA even after his 2 losses before beating Wanderlei, and makes tons more money than Kimbo. I'm not entirely sure what his beef is.

Why could he just say something like "Kimbo seems like a good guy. Congrats to him on his success, but I don't think it's good for MMA to have a street brawler be one of the most promoted fighters. . . etc etc" Was it necessary to go on a multi-paragraph hate rant against Kimbo?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache
                  That's EXACTLY what chuck is griping about - that everybody thinks this guy wins a couple of what are basically bar fights and he should get a shot at a belt.
                  It's not Chuck's belt. Kimbo would not be taking Chuck's title shot. It's not even in Chuck's org or weight class. In fact, Kimbo isn't even GETTING a title shot in EliteXC yet.

So unless Chuck Liddel wants to be next in line for the EliteXC heavyweight belt, why does he care if Kimbo gets a shot or not?

Comment

If Kimbo himself went around and said he was hot shit and the next best thing, then I could see a problem, but he has always insisted that he is a beginner at mma. Either Chuck hasn't bothered to read/listen/watch and Kimbo interviews, or he's just being Dana's propaganda puppet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Odacon
                      he's just being Dana's propaganda puppet again.
                      Yeah, thats my vote. Anyone outside of the UFC who gets popular has to get the Fedor treatment, I suppose.

I wonder how long until Liddel starts shitting on Cung?

That would be kind of Ironic, no?

"He's just a striker with good takedown defense! ...Oh, wait."

Comment

Originally posted by jsampras3
                        Wow I didn't know Chuck was a purple belt.
                        How can this fact (and the fact that he's a former wrestler) escape people when it gets announced over and over as if Chuck were some obscure fighter coming out of nowhere?

Oh well.

I see Chuck's point regarding Kimbo, but I hope it's not hate. Reservations about his skills, reservations about the negative impact it could have in MMA, I could understand that. Hate? No, I could not, and I honestly don't think "hate" is the right word for describing what Chuck is saying regarding Kimbo.

There is nothing to hate about Kimbo and I hope he does well (and I hope he starts fighting more upper-level fighters to really test him... as it should be.)
                        Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/03/2008 7:09am, .
                        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Chuck Liddell's a playa hater? Chuck Lidell is a motherfucking playa hater?
                          Originally posted by Goju - joe
                          being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

Much as I would like to see Kimbo respond with "Chuck Liddell is just famous for thumbing a bunch of people in the eye", Chump has a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Domite
                              I wonder how long until Liddel starts shitting on Cung?

That would be kind of Ironic, no?

"He's just a striker with good takedown defense! ...Oh, wait."
                              Except that Liddel's takedown defence consists of good hips and a supernatural sprawl, whereas Cung's consists of a greasy wad of bill thrust into the hands of his opponents.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X