Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Din Thomas Arrested: Unsanctioned MMA matches

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/oct/...s-accused-run/

Ultimate fighting celebrity Din Thomas arrested after allegedly running illegal matches in PSL
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

I say this is stupid. Unsanctioned matches happen all the time, and the police around here don't do jack about it. Unless there's money to be made, they are usually ignored.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Comment

10 to 1 the "spectators" were just the members of the two schools that were having a smoker match. Unless they were charged admission for the event it's not illegal, right?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon
        10 to 1 the "spectators" were just the members of the two schools that were having a smoker match. Unless they were charged admission for the event it's not illegal, right?
        Seriously, what made it illegal? Would normal sparring fall under the distinction of an "unsanctioned fight?" This is ridiculous.

--Joe

Comment

So he got arrested for having an MMA smoker...?

Comment

Ridiculous. And the author's tool too. You can tell, by this.

Thomas is well known in the world of ultimate fighting, commonly known as mixed martial arts, a brutal combination of boxing, kickboxing and wrestling in a boxing ring or cage. The fighting is so intense that most fights are limited to three five-minute rounds.
            First, it should be, "in the world of mixed martial arts , commonly known as ultimate fighting" because MMA is the proper name and "ultimate fighting" is what the uneducated refer to it as. And I love how the fight is "limited" to 3 5 minute rounds. Hm, boxing is 3 minute rounds. Pro bouts are at least, what 5 rounds in boxing? That makes low level pro boxing fights the same length. High level bouts are 12, right? That 36 minutes, but championship UFC bouts are 25. Still pretty longs. Freestyle wrestling bouts are 2x3, 6 minute bouts. Far shorter. So MMA bouts aren't "limited" in any way due to their intensity.

This author's an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by DaChinkOfSteel
              So he got arrested for having an MMA smoker...?
              It could also have been a true underground prize fight rather than an amateur, but reading between the lines, it sounds like it. Let's hope it's some local knob and not the start of a bigger trend.

And hope good thoughts for Din Thomas. Felony for fucks sake.

Comment

150 people is a pretty big number for a smoker... but still, gay that it's a felony charge
                In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Comment

I posted a comment.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/oct/...-run/#comments

Comment

Originally posted by partyboy
                    150 people is a pretty big number for a smoker... but still, gay that it's a felony charge
                    I can imagine it being 150 people...ATT has a pretty strong group of guys, probably with a lot of friends...in fact, I'm pretty sure they had an intra-school thing between Orlando and PSL ATT's...friendly competition, you know? So I don't think it's too far to think that 150 people could have been at a smoker...

Comment

According to another post on the article by someone who was there this was indeed a smoker match designed to get some of the guys used to fighting in front of a crowd in preparation for future matches. So this is a bullshit charge and should be dropped.
                      sigpic

Comment

So basically some fucknugget DA somewhere really is using the logic "We don't allow amateur MMA, so therefore any amateur MMA is clearly an illegal pro prize fight?"

:violent1:

Comment

ANY Amature MMA or unsanctioned Pro-MMA fight is illegal in the State of Florida. Fighters can be fined up to $500 or 60 days in jail and its a misdemeanor. Promoters, which is what they are apparently saying Din was in this instance, is a third degree felony with $1000 fine or up to a year in jail. Both fighter and promoter will lose their respective licenses as well.

All this was were a few guys from 2 ATT schools getting together to train under real fight settings and get used to a crowd. None of the fighters were paid and the fights don't count toward their record.

Further, the cops showed up at the event and apparently spoke with Din and let the event continue.

Bullshit. Good luck Din.

Comment

Wow, that is so terrible. Why isn't the press on Din's side? It is an obvious trumped up charge. I know they won't but I really wish the UFC would support Din.

Comment

Originally posted by partyboy
                              I've seen a smoker with almost 200 spectators. It was members of all the schools involved.

All this was were a few guys from 2 ATT schools getting together to train under real fight settings and get used to a crowd. None of the fighters were paid and the fights don't count toward their record.
                              Sad thing is that sthis sounds very reasonable to pple who understand MMA but to those on the outside will look like a lame excuse.
                              ______
                              Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                              -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                              The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                              -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X