Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Tournament-Indianapolis-June 11th, 2005

http://www.indianapolisjiujitsu.com/Hoosier2005.htm

I posted this in the "Seminars and Tournaments: A New Beginning" a few days ago. A thread is probably more appropriate, though.

Anyway, I'll be there. This will be my first tourney competition.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

May you last longer than 40 sec.
      -and-
      I'll be there. I'm thinking of going up on Friday to weigh in early. I don't want to drive that far, compete, and then drive back. I'm just glad to see it is double elimination...at least one shot in the losers bracket to redeem myself.

Comment

I got strep throat, then conjunctivitis in both eyes during the month of april, and then finals hit the week after I got over that, so I pretty much lost a month, but I'm on summer break now so I've been going to BJJ 4-5 days a week since the beginning of May. I've been trying to get as much mat time as possible to make up for the lost time. I've been starting from stand-up two nights of the week when I roll (especially with the purple belts) and starting from a kneeling position the other two or three. I've been doing back-to-back timed 5-7 minute matches to make sure my wind is good for the multiple matches I could possibly have (and to ensure that I can keep a sense of time in a 5 minute match). This is my first tournament, but I want to make a good showing for my school. Oh, and I really really really want to win.

Comment

I will be competing in this event for two matches if I can get off of work on Friday(i'll find out on Monday, most likely will be able to do so). I've only trained since January so I'll be looking forward to getting my ass handed to me. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

Like a dumb-ass I got a sunburn on my back working in the yard yesterday. With training Mon-Thurs. nights and this tournament on Saturday, I think I'm in for a week of pain. I'm sure the texture of my Kimono will make it even worse. I now have even more incentive to stay off my back. Too bad I spent 99.5% of my BJJ time...ON MY BACK.

Comment

Yeah, it turns out the scale I have been using is messed up, so it is pretty likely I'll be comfortably near the bottom of the ABSOLUTE division with the 350 pound monsters. Great . . .

Comment

:occasion1 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :occasion1

Happy Birthday to garbanzobean. Now, see if you can get the gold on Saturday for a late birthday present.
                Attached Files

Comment

Haha, thanks. But I won the submission grappling tournament outside the bar last night, so another tournament win this week would just be icing on the cake.

Comment

Barfights?
                    Walk away, son, walk away.

Comment

I wasn't joking. I was literally challenged to several submission grappling matches. For three of the matches, my various opponents and I started from the knees and everything. Another one started from standing. The owner of the bar was in on it. It was hilarious.

Comment

Ahhhhh, to be young and rambunctious.

Comment

Just weighed myself in at 203 on my top of line NASA engineered Wal-Mart distributed 5 dollar scale. This is after a pretty big lunch and dinner today and only 30 minutes of cardio (run/jump rope). So hopefully if I eat light tomorrow I'll make the 188-202 weight class I am aiming for. Going to attempt to weigh in as early as possible (6pm) and then eat dinner afterwards. Hopefully I'll make the cut. I've never had to make any weight before in my life so there is a small part of me that realizes I could be in for some trouble if I got what I paid for on my superbly accurate scale and don't eat light enough tomorrow.

Here goes nothing!

Comment

I ate light last night and weighed in a 190 on the very same type of scale. I don't plan on eating at all today until after I weigh-in tonight. I wonder how many time I can try to weigh-in. I'm bringing my running shoes just in case. If that scale doesn't say 187 or less, I plan on running my ass off and going back in for another try. I've been craving BBQ all week. I hope I can find a place close to the hotel or event site.

Comment

Walking out the door right now to go home to get my gear, after that I'm head up.
                              Hopefully I make my weight and Hopefully I have a little better showing than I did in my first attempt.
                              Good luck everyone.
                              Check back in on monday with your results.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X