Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Karate Blackbelts In MMA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    30 Karate Blackbelts In MMA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxDhf9h-I4

    Fan film by me on Karate in MMA.

    Any Karate guys on here?

    For me Karate was really a turning point in the sport in general. He showed that if a fighter uses a deep stance they are harder to takedown than a typical kickboxing stance.

    Stephen Thompson is probably the most entertaining Karate guy in MMA although I find him a bit douchey in his youtube video's, he uses an entertaining style when he's in the Octagon except for when he was against Woodley.

    #2
    I'm sorta a Karate guy I guess. As far as MMA I would say Machida was top dog for using Karate. IMHO Machida started to suck once he moved away from his bread and butter of Karate. I know he had BJJ too, but it just seemed like his grappling didn't fair as well as his patty cake did.

    Comment


      #3
      I started with TKD &Karate. Haven't worn a Karate gi since I was a teenager, but still use it in sparring.

      A point looking at that list, is the popular Karateka in the UFC also had good takedown defence from wrestling, (GSP, Liddell), Sumo with Machida, etc

      I heard Frank Mir commenting on Jon Jones's oblique kicks on a podcast once with, "I wish we knew that was legal! I know Karate, I can do that shit."

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
        I'm sorta a Karate guy I guess. As far as MMA I would say Machida was top dog for using Karate. IMHO Machida started to suck once he moved away from his bread and butter of Karate. I know he had BJJ too, but it just seemed like his grappling didn't fair as well as his patty cake did.

        What? He never moved away from it. Did you watch his last fights? He started to suck because people realized that he sucks.. They thought he was some super dangerous grandmaster but then Shogun showed that you simply bang and he's a kitten. As did Romero, as Rockhold, As did Weidman, as did "insert name".

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Sanda_fan View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxDhf9h-I4

          Fan film by me on Karate in MMA.

          Any Karate guys on here?

          For me Karate was really a turning point in the sport in general. He showed that if a fighter uses a deep stance they are harder to takedown than a typical kickboxing stance.

          Stephen Thompson is probably the most entertaining Karate guy in MMA although I find him a bit douchey in his youtube video's, he uses an entertaining style when he's in the Octagon except for when he was against Woodley.
          Stephen Thompson is the best Karateka by far but he's also extremely non committal and boring, just like Machida. The style just doesn't suit these type of fights. They can't just bang so they instead try to outpoint then run away the rest of the round.

          Comment


            #6
            Machida doesn't so much suck as much as he's been figured out and I think he's had a hard time trying to adapt himself to something new. Karate fighters can be really good counter strikers and great at fighting on the outside. I think they struggle at punching distance and can be countered through stone walling.

            I use the same kind of tactics and it can be really frustrating for people that spar or fight with me but soon as I get someone who doesn't play my game and can stand there ground. Then I'm out of my element and in an awkward position.
            Last edited by Sovvolf; 12/06/2019 9:00am, .
            "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gold,frankincenseandSPRAWL! View Post
              Machida doesn't so much suck as much as he's been figured out and I think he's had a hard time trying to adapt himself to something new. Karate fighters can be really good counter strikers and great at fighting on the outside. I think they struggle at punching distance and can be countered through stone walling.

              I use the same kind of tactics and it can be really frustrating for people that spar or fight with me but soon as I get someone who doesn't play my game and can stand there ground. Then I'm out of my element and in an awkward position.

              Machidas problem is that he's trying to do point fighting with his fists in a full contact setting. When the opponent responds in the kickboxing style, he has to move out. Thompson uses his legs - a far superior method of point fighting in a FC setting. Keeps the fighters at range and can also be used defensively.

              Comment


                #8
                Now someone might say Michael Venom Page--- Two points on that. MVP has a far superior reach, is a greater natural born athlete, and fought weaker opponents.

                Comment


                  #9
                  There is Kudo. Which is basically mma for karate people.

                  Got a mate of mine who comes out of a karate school.

                  https://www.facebook.com/FitzroyMartialArts/

                  Not UFC champions but still a solid fight club
                  Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/06/2019 8:25pm, .
                  Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                  http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gold,frankincenseandSPRAWL! View Post
                    Machida doesn't so much suck as much as he's been figured out and I think he's had a hard time trying to adapt himself to something new. .
                    He's slowed down with age. His reaction times has now slowed to normal human levels the same as Silva's and Roy Jones Jr.'s did. Father time waits for no man.
                    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Hodr View Post
                      He's slowed down with age. His reaction times has now slowed to normal human levels the same as Silva's and Roy Jones Jr.'s did. Father time waits for no man.
                      He lost frequently right after winning the belt..

                      Machida never had a good chin though as we came to learn and neither did Roy Jones. It just never got exposed before

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Heuristic View Post
                        He lost frequently right after winning the belt..
                        To Shogun in his prime. Chute Boxe Muay Thai > Karate
                        He got robbed by the Judges vs Rampage. Rampage thought Machida won in the post fight interview.
                        He was boxing Jones up as the much smaller man and then got caught and strangled. Jones had 10 inches of reach on him.
                        He then went on a great middleweight run and had a hell of a title fight with Weidman.

                        Machida never had a good chin though as we came to learn and neither did Roy Jones. It just never got exposed before
                        Because they never got hit..... until they slowed down. Machida was never the same after the 1st Shogun fight. Still great.... just a hair slower.
                        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                          There is Kudo. Which is basically mma for karate people.

                          Got a mate of mine who comes out of a karate school.

                          https://www.facebook.com/FitzroyMartialArts/

                          Not UFC champions but still a solid fight club
                          We've a Bulgarian fella at the club that did that. Pretty good striker, and not a bad wrestler I must say.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Hodr View Post
                            To Shogun in his prime. Chute Boxe Muay Thai > Karate
                            He got robbed by the Judges vs Rampage. Rampage thought Machida won in the post fight interview.
                            He was boxing Jones up as the much smaller man and then got caught and strangled. Jones had 10 inches of reach on him.
                            He then went on a great middleweight run and had a hell of a title fight with Weidman.


                            Because they never got hit..... until they slowed down. Machida was never the same after the 1st Shogun fight. Still great.... just a hair slower.
                            He was making Jon pay for everything he was throwing, up until, if I remember right, he got rocked and dropped immediately before getting caught. Good on Jon's part, but I think anyone(including other Blackbelts) could've been caught after that.

                            Comment

                            Collapse

                            Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                            Working...
                            X