British Judoka first fights:
    -60 MCKENZIE vs HIRAOKA JPN
    -66 OATES vs DOS SANTOS AUS
    -73 WILLIAMS vs BOQIEV TJK
    -81 BURTON vs winner of MAMMADLI AZE vs VALOIS-FORTIER CAN
    -90 GORDON vs EMOND CAN
    -100 AUSTIN vs ANAI JPN
    +100 SHERRINGTON vs ANDREWARTHA AUS

Not a great draw first fight wise for GB our two best medal prospects McKenzie and Burton won't get past their first fight.

However, due to the repechage they may get lucky and have a chance to fight for bronze.

Japanese first fights

-60 HIRAOKA vs MCKENZIE GBR
    -66 EBINUMA vs winner of FIGUEROA ESA vs MEHMEDOVIC CAN
    -73 NAKAYA vs MAXWELL BAR
    -81 NAKAI vs MUNYONGA ZAM
    -90 NISHIYAMA vs MAMEDOV KGZ
    -100 ANAI vs AUSTIN GBR
    +100 KAMIKAWA vs CASTILLO GUA

Good draw for Japan should be clean through all their first fights without incident.

American first fights

-73 DELPOPOLO vs CHEUNG HKG
    -81 STEVENS vs SEDEJ SLO
    -100 VASHKULAT vs SAYIDOV UZB

Decent draw for USA, although Sedej could give Stevens problems if he's on form.

So, draws are out, first fights are lined up, now its time to see what happens on the mat.
    sigpic

Exciting stuff, I've got all the Judo set to record.

Looks like Van Zyl, the sole South African Judoka is fighting Orujov from Azerbaijan.

Any predictions on how that's going to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
      Exciting stuff, I've got all the Judo set to record.

Looks like Van Zyl, the sole South African Judoka is fighting Orujov from Azerbaijan.

Any predictions on how that's going to go?
      When its two people I don't really know anything about I tend to go based on what county they're from, so I'd have to pick the Azerbaijani, but its Judo and they're both young so anything can happen.

Oh and in case people need gee-ing up

sigpic

Comment

Cheers for the link Judoka_UK. Very excited, have tickets for -66/-52 on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post

british judoka first fights:
          -60 mckenzie vs hiraoka jpn
          -66 oates vs dos santos aus
          -73 williams vs boqiev tjk
          -81 burton vs winner of mammadli aze vs valois-fortier can
          -90 gordon vs emond can
          -100 austin vs anai jpn
          +100 sherrington vs andrewartha aus

not a great draw first fight wise for gb our two best medal prospects mckenzie and burton won't get past their first fight.
          ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

The Burton fight is going to be the worst because Burton is actually the better Judoka of the two as well.

Comment

Does anyone know the schedule of matches on tv in the US? I want to watch but there doesn't seem to be anything out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by danielsaun View Post
              Does anyone know the schedule of matches on tv in the US? I want to watch but there doesn't seem to be anything out yet.
              I took some digging but here it is http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-li...udo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
                ffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

The Burton fight is going to be the worst because Burton is actually the better Judoka of the two as well.
                Yeh, but you'd put money on Hiraoki and Anai reaching the final thus giving them a second chance in the repechage.

Not so sure about Mammadli as he's up a category and he's not got the same level of certainty as the japs, won Euros in 2011 though...
                sigpic

Comment

Nice Gee-up, Geezer. Liked it.

Comment

I don't think he counts as up a category anymore, he's been fighting U81 for 2 years at least now. What annoys me is that, since the no-leg grabs rule has been introduced, he's lost all his best attacks and he wins with horrible shidickery in the grip fighting so it makes watching someone loose to him just unpleasant to watch as well as frustrating.

Comment

That's what Burton's best at though :/ Go Winnie G!

Comment

Looking down the table it gets even worse for GB.

If Oates beats Dos Santos his next fight would be Khashbaatar!

If Gordon wins his first fight he has to face Denisov and if by a miracle he wins that he has to face Iliadis!

If Sherrington wins his first fight he has to face Mikhaylin!

We'll be lucky if we come away with a souvenir lanyard let alone a medal.

Originally posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
                        I don't think he counts as up a category anymore, he's been fighting U81 for 2 years at least now. What annoys me is that, since the no-leg grabs rule has been introduced, he's lost all his best attacks and he wins with horrible shidickery in the grip fighting so it makes watching someone loose to him just unpleasant to watch as well as frustrating.
                        To be fair his Judo was pretty unpleasant before the leg grab restrictions.

Yeh as I said he's effectively raining Euro champ, Russia 2012 doesn't count, because no one turned up. Yet its pretty uncommon for someone to win gold at one weight at the Olympics and then medal at another at a different weight.

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                        That's what Burton's best at though :/ Go Winnie G!
                        Burton's Judo isn't very pretty either although he has his moments.
                        sigpic

Comment

Never followed judo don't care who's going to win (Yay both countries of my parents)

Which fights are likely to be entertaining?

Comment

Shit a brick its just as bad for the birds.

Edwards' first fight is against Fukumi JPN.

Cox's first fight is An of Best Korea. Let's hope they get the flag right... If Cox wins she faces Nakamura!

Howell's first fight is Emane FRA.

If Conway wins her first fight she has to face Bosch NED.

Bryant's second fight is against Polvader SLO.

Gibbons has two tough ones as well.

That one medal target isn't going to be met, at this rate we'll be targeting a minute of time spent on the mat.

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                            Which fights are likely to be entertaining?
                            The round of 32 and round of 16 are the most entertaining, because that's when you get big mismatches like a world champ against a guy from a country with only one Judo club.

After that the matches get closer and more competitive and you see more wins by penalties and you really need to like watching Judo to enjoy them.
                            sigpic

Comment

Gutted for McKenzie, he has an interesting back story (lower class background, ADHD sufferer).

The BBC made an interesting documentary on him which can be seen here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Boy_Olympian/

If you're not in the UK you'll probably have to find a UK based proxy, which shouldn't be much more than a quick Google search away.

I'll be hoping for some upsets, an idea could be to make some Bullbook bets for the finals.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X