Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Jon Jones arrested for DUI-

http://www.fighters.com/05/19/ufc-ch...r-crashing-car

Gotta admit I'm a bit shocked. Such a stupid, stupid decision from a guy who seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Thank goodness nobody was hurt (including Jones).

Jones is cocky enough to think he can kick Jack Daniel's ass.

Comment

Pfft, frankly couldn't care less.

Comment

Typically with athletes, celebrities etc I can still say a fan as long as 1) it is not something so repulsive I would not even want to be in the same room 2) they face the music like anybody else.

Comment

Well now I know what ufc tonight, primetime, and mma uncensored will be talking about next week.....

Comment

I don't get why this is such a huge deal. So many of the comments on the MMA Share article are so negative towards the guy. Is this a huge cultural thing in the States that I just don't get here in the drinking land?

Do people just hate him that much?

He's ok, no one was hurt, shit happens, I'm sure it'll be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
              I don't get why this is such a huge deal. So many of the comments on the MMA Share article are so negative towards the guy. Is this a huge cultural thing in the States that I just don't get here in the drinking land?

Do people just hate him that much?

He's ok, no one was hurt, shit happens, I'm sure it'll be ok.
              A DUI offense is considered morally repugnant in America. Rightfully so. He didn't harm himself or more importantly anyone else, but he very well could have. Is the guy too poor to call a taxi, or too irresponsible to have a designated driver?

Comment

Originally posted by RaiNnyX4 View Post
                A DUI offense is considered morally repugnant in America. Rightfully so. He didn't harm himself or more importantly anyone else, but he very well could have. Is the guy too poor to call a taxi, or too irresponsible to have a designated driver?
                So he could be over like .01% and it's still the same 'OMG LET HIM BURN, HE SHOULD HAVE DIED!'?

'Cause here, our safe limit is 0.05% and yours are like 0.07-8%? DISGUSTING TO ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
                  So he could be over like .01% and it's still the same 'OMG LET HIM BURN, HE SHOULD HAVE DIED!'?

'Cause here, our safe limit is 0.05% and yours are like 0.07-8%? DISGUSTING TO ME.
                  If there was ever a doubt, he should have had the foresight to not drive. That's the problem with using some certain percent as a legal limit. Unless you have some way of knowing what your current percentage is, you'll never know if you're over the legal limit. And as you noted, the legal limit in America is pretty high compared to most countries. Which means he could have been pretty well gone, even if barely over the limit.

What's more disgusting, some people having a differing alcohol tolerance and they get incorrectly labeled as "driving under the influence" or innocent people being killed by a drunk driver because society puts no emphasis on the dangers of driving after drinking alcohol?

In Japan (where I currently live), the legal limit is .03% which essentially means you can't drink at all. In fact, most Japanese people mistakenly believe that it's illegal to drink at all and drive in Japan. Surprisingly, in a country where social drinking is pretty much mandatory, DUIs are incredibly rare. If people have to drive, they simply don't drink. I'm of the opinion this is the better way to go.

Comment

I'm assuming the UFC pays him well enough that he can just hire a driver from here on out. It seems like DUI convictions are rites of passage for the newly famous.

Comment

I don't hate the guy for what happened. It just shows me that he is completely irresponsible. My wife or I go out drinking pretty regularly. One of us will drive and not drink. It is so freaking easy, that is makes DUIs inexcusable to me. And I'm just a regular dude.

Jones has money and people all over the place. But still, sometimes shut happens and you can't find a DD. in that case, you just don't drink.

Yeah, he got off easy because he didn't kill anyone. But if he would have, DUI manslaughter caries many years in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                        I don't hate the guy for what happened. It just shows me that he is completely irresponsible. My wife or I go out drinking pretty regularly. One of us will drive and not drink. It is so freaking easy, that is makes DUIs inexcusable to me. And I'm just a regular dude.

Jones has money and people all over the place. But still, sometimes shut happens and you can't find a DD. in that case, you just don't drink.

Yeah, he got off easy because he didn't kill anyone. But if he would have, DUI manslaughter caries many years in prison.
                        Truer words have never been spoken. I have seen way too many crashes where regular folks, minding their own business, get hurt or their property gets damaged by a person so lazy or proud to just get a ride. Everyone thinks that it is cheesy to say that kind of stuff, but the numbers don't lie. I just hope he stands up and faces the music. IF not, Dana should be prepared to sanction him heavily.

Comment

Tex,

Well said. Still got to through the "there has not been a trial yet". Having said that I think one of the bet sanctions is not a sanction at all: legal issues don't count as excuse to miss fights.

Comment

Just another case of a celebrity / person in the public eye being held to the same standard as everyone else.
                            Except for some reason, we seem to treat said celebrities / people in the public eye as if their sins are even more unpardonable just because they are rich.
                            Stupid act on his part, yes.
                            But the media and general public's overreaction to these things is equally stupid in my opinion.
                            He's an athlete, not a saint.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, mike, if he's innocent (as in he blew a blood alcohol less than the legal limit) then he does not need to be harped on. However, there is nothing more slimy than getting a DWI lawyer, who bases their career on finding loopholes so their guilty client gets off.

From my personal experience, I "lost" a court case where a three year old child was killed by a drunk driver. The lawyer did not argue the fact that his client was or was not intoxicated. He, in fact, told everyone that he did horrible on the tests. However, when we went to the Intoxilyzer room (breath test) I did not see him put chapstick on his lips four minutes before using the machine. That little gesture provided him with the ability to show reasonable doubt to the jury. A doctor would later find that chapstick makes no difference to your blood alcohol (no shit), but it was too late. A perfect example of a tragedy. The family gets no justice for their baby, I hold myself personally responsible for their pain and the drunk gets to move on with a loophole victory.

Granted, this is not Jon Jones's case and I do not know the circumstances. I just hope that if he was drunk he just owns up to it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X