Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs Cotto

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mayweather vs Cotto




    Main card
    =======
    Super Welterweight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Miguel Cotto (c)
    Super Welterweight: Saul Alvarez (c) vs. Shane Mosley
    Light Welterweight: Jessie Vargas vs Steve Forbes
    Super Welterweight: Deandre Latimore vs Carlos Quintana



    Preliminary card
    ============
    Welterweight: Keith Thurman vs Brandon Hoskins
    Featherweight: Braulio Santos vs Juan Sandoval
    Lightweight: Jeffrey Fontanez vs Benna Acaba
    Lightweight: Omar Figueroa vs Robbie Cannon
    Welterweight: Antonio Orozco vs Dillet Frederick

    #2
    Lol at 2 champions (same weightclass) on the same card. One is WBA, the other is WBC. Another showing of how worthless belts in boxing are at the moment.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
      Lol at 2 champions (same weightclass) on the same card. One is WBA, the other is WBC. Another showing of how worthless belts in boxing are at the moment.
      Haha the only thing that really matters is the ring title and rankings. This is a cool card though. The first time I saw Alvarez he was on the undercard of the Mayweather Mosley fight. Come a long way. Any predictions? I'm thinking mayweather and Alvarez win. I would like to see Moseley end with another W though. Poor guys wife has all his money

      Comment


        #4
        Not going to lie. I came here to gloat. Yes, Mayweather beat Cotto, but he showed how absolutely beatable he is. Here's what I said about a winning strategy against Mayweather:

        Castillo won rounds by pressuring Mayweather, and taking the fight to the inside. He was able to beat Castillo in the rematch due to superior footwork — but Mayweather no longer has this advantage anymore. Instead, he makes due with coaxing his opponents into the pocket, then feeding them with the jab.

        Anyone who beats Mayweather will need to know how to fight on the inside.
        Yes, Cotto didn't beat Mayweather — but he gave Mayweather hell over 12 rounds and busted up his nose pretty good. You know how he did it? The Castillo strategy all over again. Pressure Maweather, take him to the inside, manhandle him against the ropes.

        Let's examine the prospect of a Mayweather-Martinez fight again. Martinez fights at 157lbs. Jr. Middleweight limit is 154lbs. This fight is doable, and would be the best possible fight in boxing — much better than Mayweather-Pacquiao.

        Based on what I saw last night, I say Martinez is that much better than Mayweather. How do I know this? Let's just say a I've heard warning bells.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by atomicpoet View Post
          Yes, Cotto didn't beat Mayweather — but he gave Mayweather hell over 12 rounds and busted up his nose pretty good. You know how he did it? The Castillo strategy all over again. Pressure Maweather, take him to the inside, manhandle him against the ropes.
          What fight were you watching?? That was a landslide victory for Mayweather. He was never even in trouble. Mayweather was toying with Cotto on several occasions.


          Originally posted by atomicpoet View Post
          Let's examine the prospect of a Mayweather-Martinez fight again. Martinez fights at 157lbs. Jr. Middleweight limit is 154lbs. This fight is doable, and would be the best possible fight in boxing — much better than Mayweather-Pacquiao.

          Based on what I saw last night, I say Martinez is that much better than Mayweather. How do I know this? Let's just say a I've heard warning bells.
          If you wanna hype up Martinez, go ahead, I support that. But putting him over Mayweather is ridiculous, especially after last night.


          By the way, what you're saying about Floyd ("Oh yeah, look at the holes in his style, this next guy will be a nightmare matchup for Floyd"), has been said by many since he was 25-0. 20 Fights later... still undefeated. Suck it, haterz.
          Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 5/06/2012 11:39am, .

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
            What fight were you watching?? That was a landslide victory for Mayweather. He was never even in trouble. Mayweather was toying with Cotto on several occasions.
            I scored it 116-112. So did Ring Magazine, and so did Scott Christ. In fact, go read your average newspaper and see what the consensus is: Floyd legitimately won, but it was far from a dominant performance.

            Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
            If you wanna hype up Martinez, go ahead, I support that. But putting him over Mayweather is ridiculous, especially after last night.
            Cotto wasn't even ranked top P4P by Ring Magazine walking into that fight. Martinez is ranked #3, and is commonly considered at the same elite level as Pacquiao and Mayweather. He is also the Ring Magazine champion in a weight class he's undersized in.

            If Cotto gave Mayweather hell, imagine what Martinez would do.


            By the way, what you're saying about Floyd ("Oh yeah, look at the holes in his style, this next guy will be a nightmare matchup for Floyd"), has been said by many since he was 25-0. 20 Fights later... still undefeated. Suck it, haterz.

            Comment


              #7
              can someone for the love of fucking christ put larry merchant out of my misery? and while we're at it, can we also get rid of the twenty fucking commentators with no idea of what is going no and get two casters who know about boxing?

              Comment


                #8
                Really good fight though it's hard to care about Mayweather unless he fights Pacquiao.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ReadyEddy View Post
                  Really good fight though it's hard to care about Mayweather unless he fights Pacquiao.
                  Let's see if Pacquiao will get by Bradley. I'm not certain he can, and I think Bradley will pull off the upset.

                  In either case, Martinez is a better match-up for Mayweather than Pacquiao. If Mayweather beats Martinez, I would have no compunction about declaring Mayweather the greatest of all time.
                  • Martinez is as fast as Mayweather
                  • Martinez is stronger than Mayweather
                  • Martinez is meaner than Mayweather


                  It's a fight that can happen, and it's a fight that should happen.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Alex View Post
                    can someone for the love of fucking christ put larry merchant out of my misery? and while we're at it, can we also get rid of the twenty fucking commentators with no idea of what is going no and get two casters who know about boxing?
                    Man, unless you hear Colonel Bob Sheridan's call, you have nothing to complain about. I haven't heard so much nuthugging since Mayroga/Forrest II. It was UNBEARABLE.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by atomicpoet View Post
                      Let's see if Pacquiao will get by Bradley. I'm not certain he can, and I think Bradley will pull off the upset.

                      In either case, Martinez is a better match-up for Mayweather than Pacquiao. If Mayweather beats Martinez, I would have no compunction about declaring Mayweather the greatest of all time.

                      • Martinez is as fast as Mayweather
                      • Martinez is stronger than Mayweather
                      • Martinez is meaner than Mayweather



                      It's a fight that can happen, and it's a fight that should happen.
                      You just said he's nowhere near GOAT and below SRR, Duran and JCC but if he beat Martinez he's suddenly GOAT? I love Martinez and I think he'd have a hell of a shot against Mayweather, but no way is he the guy through which the GOAT must go.

                      As for the fight, I think the judges had it right. Cotto was game and kept coming but what he took as far as bright spots was mostly only what Mayweather gave him. When Mayweather stood in front of him for a round, he looked good but the next round when Mayweather decided to move again he couldn't land. I didn't learn anything from this fight that I didn't already know, namely that anyone who is going to hang with PBF is going to have to be quicker than him (see first few rounds of Judah fight) at least some of the time and only Pac or Martinez have the speed and skill and pop to even have a chance. Sorry Khan fans, not him yet.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Wish cotto would have done something

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Well Mayweather has at least 3 months now to tweak his skills........in the prison shower!!!!! Ahahahahahaha. But I would like to see him take on paq.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Does Martinez have the chops to get through Mayweather's defensive skills and score a knockout? I think if it went to decision, thats Money's game and he's going to pull it off no matter who he faces. Martinez's big upsets like over Paul Williams weren't really against defensive ring magician types.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              http://free4allsports.com/sidenews5.htmlCinco de Mayo Boxeo

                              Rocky Selassie

                              05-06-12



                              For boxing fans in America, Cinco de Mayo has become a date known for good drinking, partying and great boxing. This year’s festivities were headlined by Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather for Cotto’s Super Welterweight Title. The stage was set for an Epic battle and the two combatants made sure to give the folks around the water cooler on Monday, something to talk about.


                              The co-main event was a match between WBC Light Middleweight Champ, Canelo Alvarez and future Hall of famer, Sugar Shane Mosley. After a 1st round feeling out process Alvarez began working his jab to outpoint Mosley. The 2nd rd saw Mosley come out forcing the action but Alvarez would have none of that. Still using his jab he began to follow up with rights and punishing shots to the body. In this same round Alvarez started utilizing his left hook while continuing to work the body at the tail end of his combos. This set the tone for the rest of the fight and in the end Alvarez would walk away with a unanimous decision, adding another notch in this belt and leaving Shane to ponder on whether or not boxing is still something he can do at 40.

                              The main event gave all boxing fans exactly what we wanted to see. An exciting and highly competitive fight between two of the greatest fighters of this era. The first 3 rounds were all Floyd as he came ou with his signature style of cautiously measuring his opponent and picking them apart with a sniper's accuracy. In the 4th round someone in Cotto’s corner must have lit a fire under his ass because he came out like a man on a mission and started to work on Floyd like nobody ever has in his career. For the next 6 rounds Cotto gave Floyd everything he has been looking for, attacking relentlessly and backing Floyd up. Floyd defensive technique and the way he uses his left shoulder is a thing of beauty and makes him nearly impossible to hit and has always frustrated opponents. Cotto would not be categorized as one of those men as he found away around that obstacle by side stepping after an attack and letting loose a hook that would find it’s mark more than once. Floyd would shake his head at Cotto after a flurry as to say “it was nothing” but slow motion replays showed plenty of blood and mucus flying out of his Snot locker after a series of punches that said otherwise. The 11th round was a toss up from my view but the 12th was Floyd’s round all day. Floyd suddenly looked comfortable for the first time since the early rounds of the fight and turned it on using his superior movement & accuracy to show why he is considered to be the best in the world. This was also the first round since the opening rounds that Cotto was forced to stalk and his desperation nearly cost him as he was leaned 3 different times by Floyd’s punches. Floyd would go on to win the fight via Unanimous decision much to the dismay of those in attendance In Vegas. But I can do nothing but applaud Both Combatants.

                              This was the type of test that Mayweather doubters and Boxing fans in general have been chomping at the bits to see. Most will say “Floyd is old” (at 35?) and that he may be losing a step. But I totally disagree. This fight was perfect for Floyd and to say anything negative in the form of excuse as to why he didn’t look the way he always does, takes away from Cotto as a fighter. The Miguel Cotto of 3 years ago would not have lasted against Floyd for more than 5 rds. The loss he took at the hands of Pac man and even the still controversial Loss to Margarito have definitely made him better. I’ve always respected these two fighters but their fight last Saturday made me a fan. This was a statement to anyone saying Boxing is dead and that it has become boring. I along with any fan who watched the fight strongly disagree and if you watch this fight for yourself you will see why.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X