Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Spoilers* Brock vs Carwin, could it be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Spoilers* Brock vs Carwin, could it be fixed?

Guys I want to first say that I don't know a lot about how the ufc system works. I mean is it totally under Dana's control, or there are some other institutes that governs over some things or whatever.
    So by talking about this I may be acting stupid however I would be very happy if someone enlightens me about this.

What I saw in the first round of the fight was Carwin kicking Brock's ass and he couldn't do anything about it.

I was like "yeah its finished" "yeah yeah now finished" "oooh now its finished for sure"
    but the fight was still going on, brock wasn't really defending himself consciously imo, he was just covering his face.

I have seen MANY fights that would be stopped a lot earlier. But this one went on.

And then Carwin got tired, however the second round was like a joke. He was like a zombie he didn't do anything at all to stop Brock. I ve seen people get tired like shit before too but this one was really strange.

This was the most ridiculous fight i ve ever seen.

However i want to add, i m not trying to prove anything these are just my opinions.

And I would like to hears yours and would be happy if you'd enlighten me.

Brock was defending himself intelligently in my opinion. He kept his hands up and pushed Carwin away whenever he could. You're going to take some shots in the position he was in.

Carwin, in my opinion, was just outsmarted. Brock took everything he had and his confidence was crushed. I predicted Brock would win in the 2nd round. Only I thought it was going to be a KO and not a submission.

Comment

It could possibly be a bad call on the part of the ref. Honestly, Brocks inexperience at protecting himself from the back made him look like he was just laying there taking a beating sometimes. Your thread title is, however, unnecessarily confrontational, as it implies there is more to this than a possible bad call on the part of the ref.

It isn't the first time that a ref has been accused of letting a fight go on that should possibly be stopped, and if he had stopped it and Brock had just gotten up then we would be arguing wether it was an early stoppage or not. The implications that the UFC had fixed the fight (on this thread and others) are just silly, as there is no evidence to suggest they did have anything to do with the result.

Comment

Originally posted by docwolfe View Post
        Brock was defending himself intelligently in my opinion.
        We really must have been watching a different fight. When he curled up in fetal position with his hands over his head, RIGHT THEN that fight was over.

Any certified MMA ref's on here want to comment?

Comment

so lets say if i'd join ufc as a fighter, and as soon as the fight starts i would turtle on the ground covering my face and pulling my knees in(like a ball), and survive for 3 rounds somehow, would you call me "a very elusive fighter" or "ground defense master" or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Necroyunus View Post
            so lets say if i'd join ufc as a fighter, and as soon as the fight starts i would turtle on the ground covering my face and pulling my knees in(like a ball), and survive for 3 rounds somehow, would you call me "a very elusive fighter" or "ground defense master" or what?
            I'd call you a guy who just took a 15-minute beating to no particular end.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
              I'd call you a guy who just took a 15-minute beating to no particular end.
              instead of, a guy who just defended himself for 15-minutes

Comment

It just so happens that fetuses are shaped to minimize punishment...

Face it, tactical retreat in MMA includes being on one's back. Boxing matches aren't called as soon as the outboxer gets stuck in the corner for a time, and ippon isn't called for good kuzushi. Brock was in a bad position under heavy fire, but if a willing and able professional fighter shouldn't be allowed to continue, I'm not sure if I'm watching a combat sport any more.

Comment

instead of, a guy who just defended himself for 15-minutes
                  What's your point, exactly?

Comment

Listen mate,

If you really want to fixate on a conspiracy theory why not go the whole hog and say Carwin was in on it as well?

You could use the fact that he winked at Brock as he came out for the second round and then proceeded to do literally nothing until he tapped out!

Or you could come back to the real world where an arguably bad decision not to stop the fight was made, Carwin gassed and got taken out by a fighter you don't like.

In alll honestly I am more pissed with Carwin for having no plan B than I am with the ref for not stopping the fight when it should IMO have been stopped.

Comment

We have a difference of opinion. He rope-a-doped Carwin from his back. Yes, he took some shots but he was defending himself. Hands up, blocking what he could and using his feet to push away when he could.

I am a licensed MMA referee and I would let that fight continue. Carwin's punches were even getting less powerful as he went along.
                      Last edited by docwolfe; 7/06/2010 5:51am, .

Comment

Championship fights generally get let go longer. No ref wants to be the guy that stopped the fight too early costing someone a belt. Brock was fine. He never once went out, and when he had the opportunity he spun out and used his legs to create space. i have not problem with the fight continuing like it did. I really wanted Carwin to win, but he screwed up by overcommitting. He'll be back, and stronger. I think he wins his next title shot handily.

Oh, and btw, Brock Lesnar by submission?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when he locked that up.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
                          What's your point, exactly?
                          my point is, if you just cover your face for such a long time and not effectively do anything, it doesn't mean you are defending yourself IMHO.
                          If it was I could just turtle and get some punishment, and since its defending too i should have been called "best defensive player" or something for taking punishment for 3 rounds.

And for the conspiracy part, i said before i m not trying to prove anything and i cannot tell i know a lot about how the system works.
                          Its just that something about that fight didnt feel right to me so I wanted to hear what you guys think.

Comment

If Brock had just laid there until the bell I would agree with the people who said it was let go too long. But, the fact of the matter is that Brock started to recover and mount a counter offensive before the round ended. If the fight needed to be stopped then he would not have been able to get back to his feet.

Comment

my point is, if you just cover your face for such a long time and not effectively do anything, it doesn't mean you are defending yourself IMHO.
                              If it was I could just turtle and get some punishment, and since its defending too i should have been called "best defensive player" or something for taking punishment for 3 rounds.

And for the conspiracy part, i said before i m not trying to prove anything and i cannot tell i know a lot about how the system works.
                              Its just that something about that fight didnt feel right to me so I wanted to hear what you guys think.
                              Never did I think it should be stopped. I, however, was worried that they would stop it even though I felt Lesnar was defending to the best of his ability. Stopping a fight is for safety. I did not see any health related safety issue during that exchange. In fact, when Lesnar did get to his feet, he got up quickly and showed no signs of distress. If he would have been woozy upon standing or laid there for a period of time before standing, I could see someone arguing that it should have been stopped. Fact is, he defended, took some hits, and bounced up like nothing happened. In the second round, he walked over Carwin.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X