losing interest in wing chun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hannibal
    Fuck Wing Chun. Stick with Bjj. Grappling is the way to go.
    :D

do what you think is right, but dont rush into anything or you may regret it!!!

Comment

Wing chun is indeed very, very boring at the beginning. If you can't stand the endless repetition of drills and hand moves for some more months, do BJJ and try wing chun again in a few months or years to see if you can renew your interest.

The psychological component of training MA shouldn't be neglected: if you find it boring, your training is probably not going very well.
      That civilisation may not sink,
      Its great battle lost,
      Quiet the dog, tether the pony
      To a distant post;
      Our master Caesar is in the tent
      Where the maps are spread,
      His eyes fixed upon nothing,
      A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

if you want to learn to fight, concentrate on bjj

Comment

great advice from everybody
          do what you want
          if you desire to be a real fighter, fight
          then you will see fighting for what it is
          attack, attack, attack
          what works is what works
          I showed my first BJJ instructor, Eduardo De Lima "Veio, chain punching
          he said he sees value in the technique as a prelude to a shoot
          he also would occasionally punch at me with no warning when we were just hanging out
          his comment was he believes in WC because I am always ready

Comment

heh, wanna add more fun to wing chun? put a kerambit in your hand when you do trapping.

Comment

what is this"kerambit" that you speak of?

Comment

this is a kerambit

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools...l_karambit.htm

and here is a training version so you dont kill your partner

http://warriorcraft.tripod.com/wchome/id2.html

Comment

thanx

Comment

Originally posted by infidel
                    i guess what i'm asking is does bjj own wing chun for real, or am i missing something because i'm a noob to both. or am i just opening a can of worms and should keep my mouth shut.....
                    Bjj owns WC man but I think it's good to have striking along w grappling.

Now as far as a good striking style i would suggest Muay Thai. You dont have to learn Cantonese and you will be a proficient striker in a short amount of time.

Muay Thai is not fancy or complicated. It's simple and effective.
                    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

Oh yeh back to does BJJ own WC?
                      depends on the stylist and their approach to the fight
                      if WC is good and the BJJ person stands up, BJJ is toast
                      if the BJJ person shoots super low, like below the knee, before an exchange
                      WC doesn't have a chance
                      Any thoughts?

Comment

you state interesting points. i do not think these have ever been covered here. i will have to put alot of thought into those...

Comment

Originally posted by much love
                          if WC is good and the BJJ person stands up, BJJ is toast
                          The bjj man will stand up long enough to get a good shoot and then.....well we all know what happens then.

Last time I checked WC wasn't exactly the art of the 1 punch ko.
                          "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

yea. those chain punches look like they would piss off a grappler to the point where he/she would really want to f*ck you up.

Comment

The WT I took taught to keep chain punching no matter what, even on your back. Looks like a big fat armbar in the near future for pulling that stuff.

Comment

Re: losing interest in wing chun

Originally posted by infidel
                                i have been doing wing chun for a few months now. i orginally started because a friend of mine convinced me it was the way to go when i started expressing my losing interest in aikido for its lack of realism. anyway i was thinking wing chun was much better and decided to add bjj because i thought that the main weakness of wing chun was lack of grappling/groundwork. however, after two weeks in bjj i am beginning to think i am getting very littel out of wing chun. is this just a feeling i will get over or should i quit wing chun?
                                Do you play with your wing chun brothers at all? Or do you just stand there and drill? By play I mean do you guys just go at it and throw things at eachother to see what works and what doesn't and why. Any art because "boring" if you just sit there and drill and drill and drill.

Have you try applying your BJJ against your Wing Chun brothers and vice versa?

So far you're just sounding like somebody who just quits when he gets bored without trying to do something about it first.
                                Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X