Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring with large bodybuilder type people…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparring with large bodybuilder type people…

Boxing is the shiznitz. But keep an open mind...you never know.

Comment

einstien stated" genius runs to simplicity"
      8 years till retirement.

Comment

blankslate:

My Yiddish is a little rusty.

Is "shiznitz" good or bad?
        The vast Universe!
        The Way of Aiki to to become
        The light of all mankind
        Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          Kicks are alright, but I use them more to cover distance and set up openings. Unless I am right on top of them using low kicks to disable their knees and such, I stick with hands as well...

Doing this with powerful people will certainly teach you what works and what doesn't...

I disagree. Fancy is bad, whether it is "soft" or "hard." But TMA methods do work. I had a student with a fair background in other arts (to include some wrestling) that was an avid powerlifter. While there were some things that he could overcome simply because of his impressive strength, it made technical perfection even more important.

Good common sense on both points.

Comment

Throw a good round house kick in there and you are open for business.

Punch, punch, kick.....punch, punch, punch, kick. Repeat as necessary.
            Last edited by DARKSON; 2/04/2004 1:26pm, .
            "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

A chair and a whip always come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by garbanzo
                blankslate:

My Yiddish is a little rusty.

Is "shiznitz" good or bad?
                Shiznitz would be on the good tip action.

"Yiddish?"..nig-...pleez.
                Last edited by blankslate; 2/04/2004 1:48pm, .

Comment

I agree with Darkson (and so did Andy Hug with his spinning heels-Gad they look like they hurt-the guy falling to the ground seemed to agree also. I did use a flippy little sissy backhand (heh, actually it was as hard as I could hit) to solar plexus to stop a body builder guy once. Stunned him. His basic technique was bear hug and throw down. It was a good technique for him. I can't stop people from giggling when I do it.
                  "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?

Comment

The people I am sparring with have trained/or are training in MA. It makes life a little more complicated.

Comment

This thread.....is kinda.....dumb.

"Quick and simple is best, fancy and flashy results in much pain."
                        Please tell me this is not a recent epiphany, just a further solidification of truth you know already.

And stop nutriding.

"A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?"

Probably full of it, the added muscles cover the nerve centres making it LESS susceptible to attack.
                        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                          I am a born kicker so to speak. (been told that by many instructors).
                          This is not something to be proud about and/or post on the internet.
                          Last edited by shironinja; 2/04/2004 3:57pm, .
                          Now or never.

Comment

Don't be silly.
                            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Originally posted by SlimJim
                              A buddy I used to train with made mention that bodybuilders are more susceptile to strikes to nerve centers. Can anyone validate that or was he full of it?
                              This is true and false... It is true that some striking points that affect the belly of a muscle, the insertion or origin of a muscle, or a nerve that runs superficially to the muscle can be struck with slightly less effort than on, say, a fairly chubby guy who's body fat covers the muscle.

Deep innervation of a muscle, and an attempt to strike a specific "nerve" point (understanding that vital points are divided into muscle, nerve, blood, and bone points, or combinations thereof) is made because that nerve (or blood vessel, or bony surface, etc.) is vulnerable due to its anatomical position... So big guy, little guy, it doesn't matter, as the point is nearer to the surface anatomically on nearly everyone, hence its common use as a striking target.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X