Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt W.
    Kingston said...

No. Not when it comes to the physical (fighting) part of self defense, anyway. In order to learn how to fight, you must fight. That means lots of hard contact sparring against fully resisting opponents. You know who trains that way? Sport fighters. You wanna talk about avoidance, de-escalation, dirty tricks? Fine. Add it in. But you still have to train like a sport fighter in order to ba able to fight.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matt - Senshido train that way. ;)

Comment

1st sorry for not introducing myself. I recognise a few CK posters..ok here it goes:
      I trained with Tony about the same time that Mr Demitri..was training there, even though JohnnyS pretty much summed things up.. i can honestly say that "he" has considerable skill and experience but that's where it all ends. I understand that he is sorrounded by controversy and it is the case here in montreal also. Although i won't coment on his thing with Tony i dont' think he is certified by Mr Blauer.. as he tends to advertise on his site.. THIS IS BY NO MEANS AN ENDORSEMENT ..LOL

I JUST KNOW THE GUY PERSONALLY THATS ALL

I will make it a point to come back more often and post here

P.S. Asia congrats on your win dude, i hop to see ya soon so we can get down to bitness. lol.!!!
      Last edited by spec_warrior; 2/07/2004 10:18am, .

Comment

Cool down fellers.

Comment

Examples of how I train some of the concepts of Senshido.

Hello!

I made my introduction in the newbie forum a while ago.

I just want to post my training videos so that people can see how I train in some of Senshidos concepts.

You should know that I have never met Richard Dimitri or any of his affiliates or instructors and that every drill we practice in those videos was piced up from Richard Dimitris DVDs.

It was also the first time that we tried Senshidos various drills.

Our first workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t1y9H5oS90

Our second workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsz9dkA1bhs

Our third workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8rJK8TbX2g

I suggest that people try things before they judge...
          Last edited by Bjorn; 11/13/2007 4:54am, .

Comment

Well, first of all, you probably didn't need to ressurect my thread from 2004 to make this post. Newbietown probably would have been fine.

Second of all, "face grappling"? Why?

And third, where are you located? Maybe you could, you know, fill out your forum profile a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt W.
              Well, first of all, you probably didn't need to ressurect my thread from 2004 to make this post. Newbietown probably would have been fine.

Second of all, "face grappling"? Why?

And third, where are you located? Maybe you could, you know, fill out your forum profile a bit.
              Oh, sorry, I did not know that writing in old threads was bad.

Face grappling is a drill to enchanse your shredding skills. It is a very good drill for this and it really lets you know how important a good anchor and footwork is when shredding.

I live in Bodo, waaaay up north in Norway.

Again, sorry for ressurecting your thread from 2004. I will, you know, fill out my forum profile a bit now.. :XXonlyamo

Comment

Ah, Norway. Too bad. No one is EVER near me.

Face grappling is a drill to enchanse your shredding skills.
                Ah. I guessed as much. What no one has ever been able to explain to me sufficiently well is why anyone would want "shredding skills" in the first place. From a purely grappling perspective, what you were doing made for terrible grappling. And I'm no expert either. But even I could see that.

Hate to attack you, being new and all. But you'll find no love for the Shredder here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ka-Bar
                  I just don't spend $75 to learn an UNSTOPPABLE technique that my 5 year-old niece already knows.

I concur.....eye gouges and "clawing" at a persons face doesn't take any martial training.

Most people would call it Panic.

Comment

I am sure you could find someone over at the senshido forum if you wanted. There seems to be quite a few LEOs over there. I think one of them is called "Darren".

I want to improve my shredding skills because it is a very effective tool to have in the clinch or on the ground (for self defence or sport fighting where ripping, gauging and biting etc. are allowed). Basically it lets you put damage on your opponent right away instead of fighting for underhooks before a take down, trying to controll the head and neck for a knee or a elbow, setting up or going directly for a double leg take down etc..

Also, "face grappling" is just the name for the drill man...:D We were not trying to grapple there...come on now..

My friend is working on starting a MMA-free (as in free of charge)-training at our local Krav club so we will probably film some there as well. That way I can show you guys how it works on the ground etc.

I am not seeking love for the shredder here. I just figured I would give a shot at explaining some of the concepts of Richard Dimitris Senshido from my point of view with some actual footage of training, not just what I think.. Seems like lots of people at this forum miss the fact that Shredding is just a tool to be used in the clinch or on the ground. It is not meant as the end all be all.
                    Last edited by Bjorn; 11/13/2007 4:22pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by thorthe power
                      I concur.....eye gouges and "clawing" at a persons face doesn't take any martial training.

Most people would call it Panic.
                      Have you practiced shredding thorthe? Because I believe one will fight as one trains...sooo, if you never train it, you will never do it when the shit hits the fan.

Also, you realize what you are saying? I asume you mean that most people probably would resort to "eye gouges and clawing at a persons face" if they panic in a real life threathening situation? Well then, would it not be a good idea to practice this in a more effectice manner (but in real time, with full speed on a resisting opponent) since you obviously think that it will be a natural reaction?

When we are discussing self defence, is it not a bonus that a concept can be thought to a student in the shortest amount of time possible?

Your post is exactly why I practice shredding...:D

Comment

If a person does a proper clinch shredding is simply not effective do to the positioning of the body. Any attempt to use it, as in the first video you posted, would get you taken down very quickly. Don't get me wrong though, bite all you want in a real fight, it could be pretty effective. I just hope the guy you're biting doesn't have aids lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn
                          Have you practiced shredding thorthe? Because I believe one will fight as one trains...sooo, if you never train it, you will never do it when the shit hits the fan.

Also, you realize what you are saying? I asume you mean that most people probably would resort to "eye gouges and clawing at a persons face" if they panic in a real life threathening situation? Well then, would it not be a good idea to practice this in a more effectice manner (but in real time, with full speed on a resisting opponent) since you obviously think that it will be a natural reaction?

When we are discussing self defence, is it not a bonus that a concept can be thought to a student in the shortest amount of time possible?

Your post is exactly why I practice shredding...:D

Comment

Originally posted by soundless
                            If a person does a proper clinch shredding is simply not effective do to the positioning of the body. Any attempt to use it, as in the first video you posted, would get you taken down very quickly. Don't get me wrong though, bite all you want in a real fight, it could be pretty effective. I just hope the guy you're biting doesn't have aids lol.
                            Again, coming from a guy that have never trained in the shredder? All I show in my videos are som drills. If you notice, in the second video, the goal of my partner is to hit me, take me down and not let me shredd him... He got close once..

You find it funny that people have aids..? WTF?

Again, seems like it takes some time before it really sinks in eh... :beatdead: Biting is just part of the shredd... It is not like senshido guys only rely on biting..

This is what I mean, you guys have a hard time understanding what it is because you have not seen any tapes on it or practiced it.

It really is simple; Next time you grapple, put your hand in your partners face, form a claw, put some pressure on his face, keep your hand there at all times, use your other hand to grab his ear (hold on tight), hair or hold it behind his neck. If he manages to pull your hand off his face, bite him (not very hard, just to get a flinch) and put your hand back in his face when he flinches.

Come back and tell me if it did not work because of the positioning of the body. Also, do the same in the clinch.

Try it before you "tell" me that it does not work...:)

Comment

This thread is kind of a clusterf&#K, but...

I do have to agree that Dimitri is being criticised for doing things he simply DOES NOT DO.

His system is an MMA-based system designed for street self-defense.

As there are more variables and different goals in a real-life self-defense situation, the training he does is necessarily different.

I personally think his material is excellent and he is one of the most humble, kind & skilled people I have ever met in the martial arts/ self-defense world.

Of ALL the people out there teaching crap or even just mediocre Self-Defense, to criticise Rich Dimitri is pretty nuts.

If one has a slightly open mind and especially any experience with real-life violence and watches one of his instructionals or goes to a seminar, I think they will come away with a genuine appreciation for what the guy teaches and quite frankly be impressed.

What is being projected onto him in this thread, is largely a warped and inaccurate representation of the guy and his teaching.
                              Last edited by PCH; 11/14/2007 12:34am, .

Comment

Also, if you do decide to try it, be careful and use common sense... Also, to make it a bit worse, wiggle your hand a bit while still maintaining forward pressure (this is where you have to be careful).

Look, I am not trying to "convert" anyone here. I just wanted to give a shot at explaining some of Richard Dimitris work since it seems he is widely misunderstood here.

Sorry if I came of sounding like a preacher.. Not my intention.

Anyway, like I said, I will continue to film our workouts so check it out if you want to. If not, no problemo! Keep on keeping on!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X