WARNING : pointless TKD question inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING : pointless TKD question inside

Im looking for a good close up picture of an ITF TKD black belt. Im having an argument with a friend on the differences of WTF and ITF and the belt system, and the pics on ITF's webpage dont show any good pics of the belts. My argument is that an ITF belt will have the persons name in english, as well as in korean, as well as the dan in roman numerals ie I,II,III ect. as well as taekwon-do in korean on the other side. His argument is that its a plain black belt with the persons name on it in gold lettering, and to represent dan there will be an acuall strip not a roman numeral.

I personally dont care for TKD but I do love to prove my point, any pics or comments would be appreciated
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

You can monogram on your own name and whatever you want. It all depends on where the belt is ordered from.
    Now or never.

Comment

I dissagree, the ITF uses the same format for thier belts and you couldnt just monogram your own. A true ITF belt is ordered from the ITF, same as thier doboks, go look in your local martial arts surplus store and i bet you wont find and ITF approved apparell.
      I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
      -A few good men

Comment

In ITF yes they put the persons name a rank on one "flap"

And TKD written in Korean on the other"flap"

Flap being the two parts that hang down after being tied.
        :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Comment

thanks shadow,precisly what i was talking about. to clear it up even further, its your name in korean AND in english on one flap, and taekwon-do in korean on the other , as well as the roman numeral of your dan on both flaps at the very bottom. A good pic that anyone could find would be great.
          -A few good men

Comment

A good pic that anyone could find would be great.
            How about this one?

http://www.allblackbelt.com/bcustom.html

Seriously... if you want a black belt in TKD save the money and order your belt on-line. They will write whatver your heart desires in Korean or English.
            Now or never.

Comment

You said:
              Im having an argument with a friend on the differences of WTF and ITF and the belt system, and the pics on ITF's webpage dont show any good pics of the belts. My argument is that an ITF belt
              will have the persons name in english, as well as in korean, as well as the dan in roman numerals ie I,II,III ect. as well as taekwon-do in korean on the other side. His argument is that its a plain black belt with the persons name on it in gold lettering, and to represent dan there will be an acuall strip not a roman numeral.

I say: You're right.

An authentic ITF black belt is as you say.
              To my knowledge, a WTF blackbelt has the person's name (in Korean) on one flap and the words Taekwondo in Korean script on the other flap. The ITF belt is flashier looking.

Comment

My nicest belt is from Kenneth Cole. It's shizzle dizzle!
                Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

my belt has my name and school in english on one flap, and Tae Kwon Do in Korean on the other flap. And they don't use roman numerals for degrees, only stripes. so if you're a 9th degree, you get nine stripes not IX.

Comment

ITF uses Roman Numerals for Black Belt Degrees.

Some old-school Korean masters use stripes instead. My belt has stripes, not Roman Numerals. But roman numerals are standard for ITF black belts.

Comment

(that is...for "official" ITF schools...) Dont' get me started on ITF politics man.

Comment

ITF black belt has ITF Taekwon-Do in korean on one side and your name in english and your dan number on the other. The dan number is in Roman Numerals not stripes.

Comment

Here is a picture of the numerals on the belt
                          Black belt

Comment

sorry the picture did not come through here is the link
                            http://www.taekwondo.edu.sg/ click on the encyclopedia than practice suit scroll to the bottom.

Comment

Nice pic. Scanned Straight from the encyclopedia. Doesn't get more official than that.
                              cheers!
                              sk

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X