law enforcement people please read!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

law enforcement people please read!

had a conversation at work today regarding a coworkers boyfriend who wants to be a police officer, she asked what MA training i would recommend for him and where schools are around. i can handle the second part but was wondering what should i recommend? i would assume that a grappling art would be most usefull in restraining rowdy people, so i was thinking bjj or judo.

what do you guys recomend and why?

i say judo, the only advantage bjj will give is superior ground work, but face it... the people you will get to the ground will get submitted just as quick by a judoka. people are clueless when it comes to the ground and judo will easily do its job there.

now in standing i say judo is by far the best for takedowns in street and law enforcement.

first, judo throws come from the gi, and most people are going to be wearing a shirt, jacket, coat etc. which can easily be manipulated into a gi.

second, in judo you stand straight up and intiate the throws, instead of a wrestling stance where you are hunched over... this is best for confronting people and keeping a peaceful demeanor.

third, you have the opportunity to subdue someone by cushioning their fall when you throw them, or in a dire situation, throw them very hard to the ground and do major damage.

Comment

SCARS

Comment

judo or bjj
        striking arts could result in all kinds of legal nightmares when used on the job

Comment

I really don't know. Does he want to training to be safer or to make himself more likely to get a job. Learning a martial art may actually hurt your chances of being accepted into an academy or getting a job. They may not want you to have picked up "bad habits" somewhere else. If he does train, I wouldn't put it in a application or on a resume unless someone for that particular department says it something that is favorable.

Comment

Just tell him to start eating as much as he can and to buy a pair of mirrored sunglasses.

Really - get the job first, see what it's like and what they tell him in training and take it from there. Best not to second guess the training. They may well know what they're doing.
            Last edited by Beneath Contempt; 1/29/2004 4:44am, .

Comment

Systema or combat sombo

Comment

first he should learn that agency's defense and arrest tactics program( most are certified by the state) grappling arts are fine, however systems like bluar's S.P.E.A.R,
                8 years till retirement.

Comment

OOPS!, systems like s.p.e.a.r, and t.a.c.s.m.a.r..t, and g.r.a.p.l.e., adress specific needs of law enforcement, (like tactical cuffing, use of force, ect.)
                  8 years till retirement.

Comment

milwaukee cop-

he will not be enrolling for about a year as he is finishing a degree first. so he wanted to get a jump on things do you think that any one style would best compliment the training he is likely to get?

Comment

Wrestling, BJJ or Judo. Although using "control" techniques is the one place where I think Hapkido/Aikido type stuff is also useful.

Regards,
                      Matt

Comment

Milwaukee,

Do you believe your involvement in MA prior to being hired had any bearing (positive or negative) in the hiring process?

Comment

ma training had no involvement in the hiring process, they couldnt care less at which mcdojo iv trained.:D
                          8 years till retirement.

Comment

He should also look into taking a PPCT (pressure point control tactics) course.

If he's really keen on an MA, he might want to consider Krav Maga. But it definitely won't help him much on his entrance requirements because they teach you how to fight anyway.

Plus, he has to remember that, while on the street, he's not going to need to throw down empty hand unless he loses his gun, baton, OC spray, tazer (if issued/qualified to use it).....

To my knowledge, and experience, police services generally don't pay their officers to lose.

If he meets their requirements, they'll train him in what he needs.
                            "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

I skipped a lot of stuff. But at the academy by my house, they train the police in self defense/take down tactics they commonly use. So they'll give em all hes going to need at first. I'd then reccomend training in everything possible starting with grappling, and adapt it for police/daily use as needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X