Aiki Ken (Kashima Shinto Ryu??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiki Ken (Kashima Shinto Ryu??)

I've seen that a few people here practice Koryu bukiwaza. Any comments on this article?
    http://koryu.com/library/mskoss3.html

Excuse the apparent nutriding of the late Saito Sensei and Iwama Aikido. Thing is this article suggests itself to me as decent reading to those that hold the belief that Aikido is merely a watered down form of Daito Ryu. Its really not. Ueshiba had his own diverse experiences in martial arts to draw from.

Comment

Good pick, SMF (of course I'm totally unbiased -- not!). What's interesting is that the most info we get is that Ueshiba and one of his deshi studied for several years. No idea what, if any, license was awarded, etc. So it does promote your argument that aikido is more than watered down Daito-ryu, but only to the point that we'd, sorta, already arrived at: Ueshiba was an excellent martial artist that was always trying to improve and learn more things.

That said, I find it amusing that so many folks refused to acknowledge or believe that Ueshiba had joined a classical ryu at some point (outside of Daito-ryu). That's one of the big problems in the aikido world, as I see it, and I hope that the Aiki-Expos are helping in this regard, but there seems to be so many folks trying to dictate what aikido is and isn't, that at some point one just throws their hands in the air . . .

Comment

Budd, of course there's many ways to aikido, they just happen to all be wrong except mine... if you want to know what is and isn't aikido just ask me and I'll give you THE definitive answer (paraphrasing most shihans here)

Comment

Originally posted by Onecardshort
          Budd, of course there's many ways to aikido, they just happen to all be wrong except mine... if you want to know what is and isn't aikido just ask me and I'll give you THE definitive answer (paraphrasing most shihans here)
          LOL!

Let me guess . . . To learn your approach to aikido I have to either:

1) Buy your book

OR

2) Attend your seminar

Sorry, I'm too busy these days, but my own book and seminar schedule will be available next year, by that time maybe we can work out an exchange, join forces and start a new koryu, etc.

Comment

Ah, but I have a new gimmick - the handy dandy bendable action sensei (life size) complete with rule book and video on how position it so you can have your own sensei in the comfort of your own bedroom. Special techniques include the moons of jupiter and one flew over the uke. But wait, there's more :eek: , if you buy by credit card today, you get a free velcro hakoma for those no-gi techniques.

SMF - sorry, couldn't resist, fwiw, the article was a good read and helped explain some of the unusual sword forms I've seen in aikido (ref the armour cuts)

Comment

this is going to drive the hardcore posters crazy, but how friggin cool is a "keppan" yayyyyyyyy!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X