Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instructor Bobby Joe Blythe watches/films a student attacking a man in his school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the unedited video will encourage people more strongly to fax the judge. No need to soften it up. Show Dennis for what he is. Just put a warning at the beginning that the video is very violent.
    I would suggest referring to the website created that sam cited earlier.

Encourgae folks who fax the judge to be respectful, don't add any fluff, just the facts and a request to consider not terminating probation based on dennis' history.

I posted mine as a sample a few pages back if you want to offer a sample fax.

Comment

Show of hands, besides myself and Sam, how many people have written to the judge?

He needs to get your letters and faxes before the 9th

Comment

Fax/mail to the judge people:

KEEP WILLIE J. DENNIS ON PROBATION

http://www.naming-schemes.org/~chardin/bjblythe/

On September 9, 2009 Mr. Dennis is returning to court in Broward County Florida to seek an early termination of his probation for a domestic violence case, different then the 1984 incident. His Broward County Case Number in 07001189 CF10A

On the bottom of this website is instructions for how to contact the judge is a polite manner and ask that this request be denied.

Please spread this information elsewhere on the web.

My sample fax:
        Geoffrey D. Cohen
        Circuit Judge
        Seventeenth Judicial Circuit of Florida
        Broward County Courthouse
        201 S.E. 6th Street, Room 5880
        Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33301
        Fax: 954-831-7698

Re: Broward County case number 07001189 CF10A

Your Honor,

I am respectfully requesting that you consider this serious matter in the case of Mr. Willie J. Dennis. This man should not have his probation terminated prematurely.

In 1984, Mr. Dennis was videotaped brutally beating and stomping a man's head into the floor, a crime for which he was never charged. Since then, Dennis's propensity for violence has apparently not changed. He should not receive the benefit of the doubt and have his probation terminated early. Instead, he should stay on probation until January 31, 2011, which will encourage him not to engage in the type of behavior which resulted in him being originally sentenced. I respectfully request that you ask the Prosecutor's Office and Probation department to confirm for themselves that these are the same Willie J. Dennis.

For information about this 1984 incident, please visit this website:
        www.naming-schemes.org/~chardin/bjblythe/

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sambosteve View Post
          I think the unedited video will encourage people more strongly to fax the judge. No need to soften it up. Show Dennis for what he is. Just put a warning at the beginning that the video is very violent.
          I would suggest referring to the website created that sam cited earlier.

Encourgae folks who fax the judge to be respectful, don't add any fluff, just the facts and a request to consider not terminating probation based on dennis' history.

I posted mine as a sample a few pages back if you want to offer a sample fax.

The unedited video is undoubtedly more powerful but I wonder if a lot of people will not pass it on to others because it is so horrible to watch?

There are plenty of places that I couldn't post a link to that video without either getting banned or upsetting a lot of people, probably both.

I personally think that if the one video you have is NSFW and very disturbing to watch that our audience is going to be much more limited than if you have a video that you can send to everyone including your aunty Ethel.

Just my 2p worth

Comment

I see your point, but then people will not realize the horrid nature of the attack. Sometimes graphic is good.

Put a warning in the beginning, with a comment about why you are posting the video.

Put another warning in the video, before it gets to the head stomps, letting people know it is about to get real ugly.

Comment

I contacted American Karate Center, which according to the old BB Mag ad, was in operation at the time. Here is what I sent:

Dear Mr. Miles

I am writing as a writer/member of www.bullshido.net which, you may know, is a website dedicated to investigating fraud and abuse in the martial arts community. Currently, as you may or may not have heard, there has been a storm of discussion and news regarding an assault that took place in a Dojo in December, 1984 in Dumfries, Virginia.

The assault took place in a now defunct dojo (Blythe's Shintokan Karate). Recently a videotape has been posted on the net of the event. It highlights karate instructors Bobby J. Blythe and and William J. Dennis severely beating a man against his will. The video can be seen at the link below.

As a human being and martial artist, I am sure you can understand why this video is so horrid. There has been much speculation about this event, even in news reports (listed below).

My main intent in contacting you right now is to try and identify and locate the victim if possible (it is not known, but suspected he survived the attack). A difficult, and possibly impossible task 25 years later.

I am writing to you because an advertisement for your school (or an older dojo with the same name) appears in an old Black Belt magaize of the time Mr. Blythe's dojo existed, in the same geographic location. It is our hope that anyone who may have been operating a school back then may have some knowledge of this event, or who the victim may be. I kinow it is a long shot, but worth contacting you about.

Furthermore, it has been suggested (without evidence, only stories from a few who were training back then in the area) that Mr. Blythe was known in the local martial arts community for having done similar activities before, regularly engaged in dojo busting, and assaulting other local martial arts instructors...outside the norm or ethical challenge matches. One unconfirmed report indicates that a local instructor at the time did file charges and win in court against one of Blythe's students after a dojo storming incident. We have been unable to substantiate this claim.

It is suspected that the victim (name yet unknown), may have been homeless at the time of the attack. One news report suggests he was living in the local woods and was known to the area. Can you help us in our efforts to identify this man by putting me in touch with whomever was operating your club back in the 1970-80's? Or forward this information to those who may have been instructing back then?

If anyone wishes to speak privately, I am willing to do so. I will keep names off the public bullshido thread.

I thank you in advance for your attention.

Steve

Stephen Koepfer
              President, American Sambo Association
              Head Coach, New York Combat Sambo
              US Team Coach, 2008 FIAS World Sambo Championships
              PO Box 5773
              Long Island City, NY 11105
              www.ussambo.com
              www.nycombatsambo.com
              www.samboschools.com
              Association: 718-728-8054
              NY Combat Sambo: 917-617-5650

2008 US Team Montage:
              www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bA1lmlYh7s

A victim identification website and tip line has been set up here:
              http://kmz.me/crimevictim/
              (303) 720-6718 SMS + Voice Mail
              [email protected]

You can download a flyer to post here:
              http://kmz.me/crimevictim/HELP%20IDE...E%20VICTIM.pdf

If you would like to read about the investigation and efforts to look into this event, please view this link:
              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88535

You can view the original video here:
              http://photobucket.com/albums/w46/St...rent=video.flv
              and here in it's entirety:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_iW...layer_embedded

Various news reports:
              NBC News California:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObjWdQBeA4
              Washinton Post:
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
              NoVA News: http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...nternet/41980/
              NBC Washington:
              http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...-56362352.html

Comment

What is the correct form of address for a judge in the US?

If you are faxing or writing a letter do you say

Dear Your Honour

?

I just realised that I have no clue and presumably getting the etiquette right is important

ooops

please ignore this

just read Sambo Steve's sample letter

It's just "Your Honor" apparently

:o

Comment

Originally posted by thehaad View Post
                  sorry i mixed up the judge and mr miles ill figure it out but to b safe if somone can rewrite the email of the judge it would b appreciated he should help us keep willie on probation
                  I alreday did, just a few posts ago...
                  You have to fax him or mail him, no e-mail.

No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - Instructor Bobby Joe Blythe watches/films a student attacking a man in his school

Comment

Originally posted by littleoldme View Post
                    Not sure if this helps anything but a fellow youtube member, det0n8r, offered a translation of the Blythe lecture, the one where he tells his students they can do what they want in the dojo.

I don't think I've posted it here so here it is
                    You have posted this here before.

This is a decent transcription overall, but I think some parts are transcribed wrong (the "chew gum in class" phrase, as someone pointed out, is one example that's mistranscribed by det0n8r).

Here is my transcription of that video.

I've also just transcribed the new video you posted a link to.

new video

The transcription is below.

The most interesting part is Blythe's story of how he beat up three people for what he took as a slight to his school (not bowing) and how the police came to investigate, but did nothing because one of the police called to investigate was a student of Blythe who agreed with Blythe and then advised the three victims to "drop it".

The story starts at 05:33 (under the pretext of asking the students what they would do in a hypothetical situation). The part about the police starts at 08:23.

Earlier in the thread, someone here mentioned that they were in touch with the Washington Post reporter who wrote the recent story on Blythe. In that story, the writer took the word of the Dumfries cops when they claimed KFG was alive after the beating and didn't want to press charges.

If that reporter is shown this video (perhaps with the transcript) where Blythe clearly states that one of his students was a Dumfries cop who helped Blythe get around a possible charge for assault, then hopefully the Washington Post reporter might decide to investigate further, as the same thing may be happening now.

The other interesting part of this video is right at the end, at 09:11, when he starts insulting other schools, including the school of "Jean Rhys" (or maybe "Jin Ree" or "Jean Ree"), and a school in Woodridge.

I seem to recall someone mentioning the "Jean Rhys" (sp?) school earlier in this thread, but I can't find it now.

In any case, if these schools were known to Blythe, Blythe's school was probably known to them. So it might be worth asking around those schools regarding what they remember about Blythe, or whether they knew of anyone who'd had a run-in with Blythe or his students. This line of investigation could eventually lead to finding KFG or possibly more incriminating evidence against Blythe, Dennis, and anyone else who was involved in this or similar crimes.

Here's the transcript:

00:00

When they took all the weapons away from the Okinawan people that's when the
                    Okinawans really started kicking ass. And they have been kicking ass, I
                    think, ever since. And you can not compare to the Okinawans when it comes
                    to kicking ass in Karate because of their ATTITUDE.

00:19

Now what if the white people was treated like the black people? They'd
                    probably getting they probably stronger. But a white man's mind is as weak
                    as dog shit - because he really hasn't lived in what you call "The Bad Era".
                    He hasn't been treated worse, he hasn't been treated [garbled] the rights
                    and bullshit [garbled] you know what I mean?

00:43

Well, the Okinawan people was the same goddam way, man. They hadn't had
                    everything handed to them. They worked their goddam ass off. Now you tell
                    me that don't make a bad attitude? And the harder you work, the more you
                    get shit on? That's Okinawa. And get shit on by your own people. Now
                    that's hard faith.

01:07

But you know, I'm just trying to tell you why the Okinawans are better in
                    self-defense than anybody I ever seen in my life [points to head] attitude.

01:23

They have the [garbled] attitude. A Jap don't. A Korean don't.
                    A Phillipino don't. A Hawaiian don't. They call it [garbled] attitude by
                    being treated like shit. And all they want to do is revenge [garbled].
                    [laughter]

01:43

So what they do, they started they, they, like a long time ago they
                    started fighting for what they believed in [garbled] goddam [garbled] and to
                    survive. But the Japs still [garbled]. They still got a [garbled].
                    [garbled]

02:04

You can't convince the younger generation then, because they're getting
                    Americanized [garbled] and they weren't raised back when their grandma was
                    raised and therefore they don't know what it is to be a [garbled]. So the
                    Japs turned him around, moneywise and mindwise.

02:24

[garbled]

02:32

And that is [garbled] only way I can [garbled] why Okinawans used to be,
                    years ago, better martial artists than anybody else in this world.

02:39

I ain't afraid of this. I'm convinced. Thank god I started on Okinawa.
                    I don't know what kind of attitude that got me.

02:49

But I've got an attitude like when I was [garbled] years ago. I got a no
                    give a shit attutude.

[cut in video]

03:03

got [or "God"?] What system do we play? We don't do it. If we did, if we
                    did it, it'd be like using [garbled] apples. Like shooting shingles at them.
                    [laughter] Hey Tarzan. [garbled] Hey Tarzan he [garbled]. [laughter]

[cut in video]

03:41

What would you do now? Tell me exactly what you would do. [garbled]

[cut in video]

03:51

is you got a blackbelt on. That right there will tell you. [garbled]
                    [laughter]

04:01

The warning is when I hand them this paper. I'll read it. That's the
                    warning. Reality is when they say, "yep". [laughs] That's reality.

04:20

The reason I hadn't really [garbled] is because I hadn't [garbled] well
                    we must end the shit right away. We must have a little ceremony on school
                    etiquette [garbled] Dennis [garbled] two pieces of paper on the door
                    [garbled] right on that door [garbled] look right in and they read it
                    [garbled] [laughter]

04:49

That's what we're going to do today, we're going to take one of those and
                    put it right on the restroom door eye level, where you sit. [laughter]
                    [garbled] restroom door on the back of it. No reason why they shouldn't see
                    it, right? Correct. Alright. And knowing that most people reach for the
                    toilet paper, might as well put one right there. [laughter] [garbled] In
                    case they sit there [garbled] open their eyes when they might not read the
                    door, right? But once they reach for help toilet paper, there's one there.
                    [laughter] We're trying to get this down [garbled] being interesting. Yeah.

05:33

What if a person comes through the door and you're out here with me helping
                    me teach or something like that or helping me do something, and you look
                    around and you see three people come through the door. The last one come
                    in, he bow. They stood back there for about twenty minutes and you've been
                    watching them. You've been watching their attitude. You've been watching
                    their reactions on - on ah your teaching. All of a sudden all three start
                    walking out. You notice that the last one that came in first, you know
                    when they first came in the last one that came in, you notice he didn't bow
                    when he left. What would you do?

06:25

STUDENT: Get him.

Bobby Joe Blythe: He ain't he ain't even back there!

STUDENT: [garbled]

BJB: He's already walked out the door. Getting ready to go out the
                    street.

BJB: You call him. [garbled] say, "Hey asshole!" And of course all three
                    turn around, 'cause they're three assholes. [laughter] And they say, "You
                    talking to me?" "I'm talking to all three of you, since you're here
                    together." Don't pick out one. No. Don't pick out just one of them. Walk
                    there and bow and say, "All three of you in trouble. You in trouble. All
                    three [garbled] 'cause I'm going to beat your ass."

07:03

BJB: Of course, the one who bowed knows [garbled]

BJB: [points] Warren.

BJB: It's too late.

07:16

BJB: You know what he told you when he walked out that door and he didn't
                    open his mouth? "You suck. Your school sucks, and your students suck, and
                    you ain't worth a shit." Basically what he said to you. So how did I
                    interpret it? Because I'm a blackbelt. I know how it should be in Karate
                    world. I know exactly what he's thinking because he's a student of Karate,
                    and had to be of a higher rank because he bowed.

07:49

[garbled]

07:51

So, he's checking [garbled] he's testing you. The reason why I've done why
                    I I'm telling you this is I've done it. I went back and stopped all three
                    of them at the door before they got out. And I jacked up all three of them
                    before they left. [garbled]. I did it. One of them did it. And I'll
                    tell you an example of what I did.

08:23

Sure they went and [garbled]. So the police came down. The guy was a
                    student of mine. He bowed to me in uniform before he came in the door. He
                    say, "What happened?" "I jacked him up because he didn't bow before he
                    left." He said, "That's understandable." And he left. Went out and said,
                    "You boys better drop this now. You better drop it." "That man's crazy in
                    there! He's crazy!" "That's right, he's crazy. But didn't one of you bow
                    when you came in and you didn't bow when you left? Isn't that disrespecting
                    him?" They dropped the [garbled] Double drop. [laughter]

09:11

So guys, I'm sensitive about people coming in and they bow, and they don't
                    bow when they leave. They tell you I suck. And I think the nastiest shit
                    [garbled] because that's my attitude. Now if you like being told you suck,
                    well you probably do suck. And you don't rate your blackbelt accordingly.
                    Because you can't wear it because you ain't no badass [garbled]. You might
                    as well be at the Jean Rhys [Jean Ree's ?] school, because they all suck.
                    Or you up here in Woodridge because they suck too. But we still live the
                    old way.
                    Last edited by noosphere; 9/06/2009 3:53pm, .

Comment

One other interesting thing about the new video is that apparently, Blythe names one of his students in the video at around 07:03. At this point in the video Blythe's voice is pretty faint, and I can't quite be sure, but it sounds to me like the name is "Warren".
                      Last edited by noosphere; 9/06/2009 3:40pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by sambosteve View Post

Just a thought

Is it worth getting an email petition going?

What if say, we got a petition going with a politely written request to the judge, and then a fax / print out of a list of names supporting the request?

A big bag of faxes and letters on the judge's desk would be great, but these days very few people fax or write letters and a very long list of names attached to a letter might be better than a handful of letters / faxes.

Just a thought

Comment

The other interesting part of this video is right at the end, at 09:11, when he starts insulting other schools, including the school of "Jean Rhys" (or maybe "Jin Ree" or "Jean Ree"), and a school in Woodridge.
                          Jhoon Rhee was a very popular TKD instructor back then. His school is in falls church, VA. Established 1962.
                          http://www.jhoonrheetkd.com/aboutus.php

Comment

Originally posted by noosphere View Post

I've also just transcribed the new video you posted a link to.

<snip>

I went back and stopped all three of them at the door before they got out. And I jacked up all three of them before they left. [garbled]. I did it. One of them did it. And I'll tell you an example of what I did.

08:23

Sure they went and [garbled]. So the police came down. The guy was a
                            student of mine. He bowed to me in uniform
                            before he came in the door. He
                            say, "What happened?" "I jacked him up because he didn't bow before he
                            left." He said, "That's understandable." And he left. Went out and said,
                            "You boys better drop this now. You better drop it." "That man's crazy in
                            there! He's crazy!" "That's right, he's crazy. But didn't one of you bow
                            when you came in and you didn't bow when you left? Isn't that disrespecting him?" They dropped the [garbled] Double drop. [laughter]

09:11

<snip>
                            Thanks so much for that

I also realised something, which I emphasised in red.
                            He is claiming that the uniformed police officer was his student

I'd missed that before
                            Last edited by littleoldme; 9/06/2009 4:04pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by littleoldme View Post
                              Just a thought

Is it worth getting an email petition going?

What if say, we got a petition going with a politely written request to the judge, and then a fax / print out of a list of names supporting the request?

A big bag of faxes and letters on the judge's desk would be great, but these days very few people fax or write letters and a very long list of names attached to a letter might be better than a handful of letters / faxes.

Just a thought
                              I do agree, but we have only 2 days. His hearing is on the 9th.

Still curious who here has sent a fax or letter?

Comment

I e-mailed Jhoon Rhee's academy:

Dear Mr. Rhee

I am writing as a writer/member of www.bullshido.net which, you may know, is a website dedicated to investigating fraud and abuse in the martial arts community. Currently, as you may or may not have heard, there has been a storm of discussion and news regarding an assault that took place in a Dojo in December, 1984 in Dumfries, Virginia.

The assault took place in a now defunct dojo (Blythe's Shintokan Karate). Recently a videotape has been posted on the net of the event. It highlights karate instructors Bobby J. Blythe and and William J. Dennis severely beating a man against his will. The video can be seen at the link below.

As a human being and martial artist, I am sure you can understand why this video is so horrid. There has been much speculation about this event, even in news reports (listed below).

My main intent in contacting you now is to try and identify and locate the victim if possible (it is not known, but suspected he survived the attack). A difficult, and possibly impossible task 25 years later. And also to know if anyone in your club from that time period has any knowledge on Mr. Blythe's activities/dojo. Your dojo is briefly mentioned in a old video of his (linked below), so he was aware of you guys at the least.

Since you were in operation at the same time that Mr. Blythe's dojo existed, in the same geography, it is our hope that anyone who may have been operating your school back then may have some knowledge of this event (or similar events), or who the victim may be. I kinow it is a long shot, but worth contacting you about.

Furthermore, it has been suggested (without evidence, only stories from a few who were training back then in the area) that Mr. Blythe was known in the local martial arts community for having done similar activities before, regularly engaged in dojo busting and assaulting other local martial arts instructors...outside the norm or ethical challenge matches. One unconfirmed report indicates that a local instructor at the time did file charges and win in court against one of Blythe's students after a dojo storming incident. We have been unable to substantiate this claim, but we are looking into public court records. Since you were mentioned in one of Blythe's old videos, did your school ever have any interactions with him?

It is suspected that the victim (name yet unknown), may have been homeless at the time of the attack. One news report suggests he was living in the local woods and was known to the area. Can you help us in our efforts to identify this man by putting me in touch with whomever was operating your club back in the 1970-80's? Or forward this information to those who may have been instructing back then?

If anyone wishes to speak privately, I am willing to do so. I will keep names off the public bullshido thread if you wish to speak discretely.

I thank you in advance for your attention.

Steve

Stephen Koepfer
                                President, American Sambo Association
                                Head Coach, New York Combat Sambo
                                US Team Coach, 2008 FIAS World Sambo Championships
                                PO Box 5773
                                Long Island City, NY 11105
                                www.ussambo.com
                                www.nycombatsambo.com
                                www.samboschools.com
                                Association: 718-728-8054
                                NY Combat Sambo: 917-617-5650

2008 US Team Montage:
                                www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bA1lmlYh7s

A victim identification website and tip line has been set up here:
                                http://kmz.me/crimevictim/
                                (303) 720-6718 SMS + Voice Mail
                                [email protected]

You can download a flyer to post here:http://kmz.me/crimevictim/HELP%20IDE...E%20VICTIM.pdf

If you would like to read about the investigation and efforts to look into this event, please view this link: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88535

You can view the original video here:
                                http://photobucket.com/albums/w46/St...rent=video.flv
                                and here in it's entirety:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_iW...layer_embedded

Video in which Jhoon Rhee is mentioned (at the very end):
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-U1...layer_embedded

Various news reports:
                                NBC News California:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObjWdQBeA4
                                Washinton Post:
                                http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
                                NoVA News: http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...nternet/41980/
                                NBC Washington:
                                http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...-56362352.html

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X