Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kellyd
    replied
    My friend.. I am part of WEBBS.. I was there before Helder was.
    I will not badmouth you or try to say you are jealous either.. I am sure you have a valid claim..BUt I am saying I will not jump on the bandwagon before I have real proof. And I would say that if anyone told me the same of any of you if I knew you as a friend as well.

Leave a comment:

• manlobeiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Keej613 View Post
    I've never met Helder Nunes, but I've trained under Pat Lavigne (from Balance Martial Arts, Nomad Kickboxing, etc) and he was as real as it gets. He was a top-notch teacher and he obviously knew what he was doing. No bullshido. No McDojo shadiness. All skill, all knowledge, all professionalism and all class. He could teach new things even to the most seasoned of judo, jiu-jistu, wrestling, grappling, submissions (vets).

The reason I mention this is is that Pat Lavigne and his school have organized seminars by Helder Nunes in Ottawa. Additionally, I know that Pat has trained with / for Helder Nunes in Portugal and in other parts of Europe.

Pat speaks (or at least spoke) very highly of Helder Nunes so, unless some shadiness has been discovered over the past little while, I will trust his judgement.

And, should it be discovered that Helder Nunes truly is a fraud, then I think that it should not reflect on the quality and professionalism of training that one will receive from Pat Lavigne and his team at Balance Martial Arts and Nomad Kickboxing.

He is an awesome teacher than I would reccommend to anyone, PERIOD, without a doubt in my mind.

Well, it seems that i am alone, and that my effort is being taken as 'badmouthing'.
    I dont want Helder Nunes beaten, or his life ruined. I just want him out of martial arts world, because he teaches others, what he dont know.
    I am a very bad person, that speaks bad of others, maybe im not worthy of the Bushido way. Maybe i am the wrongdoer here.

About 8, nine years he was a blue belt from Algarve teacher Leote Menau. He went to study Law to Coimbra, and he got a brown belt in Judo, from my Sensei Alain. In the fencing department of our University, he forged government declarations of high competition athletes and sold them until it was all found.
    Please contact http://www.academica.pt/Default3.aspx?tabId=1871www.fpj.pt
    Contact www.jujutsu.pthttp://senseiheldernunes.blogspot.com/

I am not the author of this blog. A simple search in google, is preferible, sometimes to blindly defend someone on the basis of empathy.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• kellyd
    replied
    Pat has been a friend of mine since he was in grade school. We studied under Gary Houldsworth together and under Soke Bryan Cheek.
    I know Pat got his 4th dan from Helder but I am not sure what else.
    Pat is indeed a great martial artists.

Leave a comment:

• Keej613
    replied
    I've never met Helder Nunes, but I've trained under Pat Lavigne (from Balance Martial Arts, Nomad Kickboxing, etc) and he was as real as it gets. He was a top-notch teacher and he obviously knew what he was doing. No bullshido. No McDojo shadiness. All skill, all knowledge, all professionalism and all class. He could teach new things even to the most seasoned of judo, jiu-jistu, wrestling, grappling, submissions (vets).

The reason I mention this is is that Pat Lavigne and his school have organized seminars by Helder Nunes in Ottawa. Additionally, I know that Pat has trained with / for Helder Nunes in Portugal and in other parts of Europe.

Pat speaks (or at least spoke) very highly of Helder Nunes so, unless some shadiness has been discovered over the past little while, I will trust his judgement.

And, should it be discovered that Helder Nunes truly is a fraud, then I think that it should not reflect on the quality and professionalism of training that one will receive from Pat Lavigne and his team at Balance Martial Arts and Nomad Kickboxing.

He is an awesome teacher than I would reccommend to anyone, PERIOD, without a doubt in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• kellyd
    replied
    Originally posted by kwan_dao View Post
    I do not know how ranking is done in Portugal, but hereabouts (Germany/Austria/Switzerland) ranking commissions are pretty standard.

So if you have a 1st dan and think you are ready for second, you just attend the next test (most organizations hold them pretty regularly), show the commission what you learned and if they think you fullfill the standards of a 2nd dan, you get ranked.

This of course means, that people do not have to wait for their teachers to bestow the magical spell of "I ranketh thee blackbelt" onto them. Which might mean that they rank faster then with traditional ranking.

Add to that the fact that many organizations see all belts above 5th dan as purely honorary ranks (e.g. you can't test for them, but get them as a reward for exceptional commitment) and you get the picture of how a younger person might end up with a 6th dan.
    Tests are indeed given here that way as well. Up to 4th dan. After all, it is at the discretion of the higher belts.
    I know Helder was given a higher rank when he was "Asked to leave" WEBBS and joined JJI.
    This is another practice I don't agree with. leave on and join another and be granted a higher rank just for it.

I would love to have some of Helders old teachers weigh in on this issue.

Leave a comment:

• kwan_dao
    replied
    I do not know how ranking is done in Portugal, but hereabouts (Germany/Austria/Switzerland) ranking commissions are pretty standard.

So if you have a 1st dan and think you are ready for second, you just attend the next test (most organizations hold them pretty regularly), show the commission what you learned and if they think you fullfill the standards of a 2nd dan, you get ranked.

This of course means, that people do not have to wait for their teachers to bestow the magical spell of "I ranketh thee blackbelt" onto them. Which might mean that they rank faster then with traditional ranking.

Add to that the fact that many organizations see all belts above 5th dan as purely honorary ranks (e.g. you can't test for them, but get them as a reward for exceptional commitment) and you get the picture of how a younger person might end up with a 6th dan.

Leave a comment:

• kellyd
    replied
    Well Helder must have some technical ability to have gotten somewhere and received belts from other masters.
    I am not defending his actions.
    I am saying he has never done anything wrong to me.
    I don't agree with what was done. But so far, all I have seen is one mans post to say thins was done.
    If it is true or not, is not for me to say but I would like to see more proof if there is any before I jump on the bandwagon to burn Helder at the stake here.

I am sure if any of us was in this postition, we would like there to be solid prrof one way or another.
    It took me years to earn my belts and I will be the first to say "F#&* you you C*&@ smoker" if / when it is proven 100%.

Leave a comment:

• manlobeiro
    replied
    Originally posted by kellyd View Post
    Well all I can say is: I have known Helder and Mike for many years Via WKF and WEBBS. Neither one has done a personal foul to me and both are very skilled men in Juko shin Ryu Jui Jitsu and Can Ryu Jiu Jitsu.

I do not agree with padding documents to represent higher grades than what you are by anyone. Friend or not. But I will not turn my back on a friend regardless.

Helder is a very talented person and one can still learn a lot from him and Mike is exceptional in Jiu Jitsu to say the least.

I have been in the martial arts since 1973 and I currently hold a 4th dan in Juko Shin Ryu from Soke Bryan Cheek himself.

I have also known Prof Richard Morris since the late 80's very early 90's, I have studied under both men and both these men are amazing in what they do as well.
    I would not discredit either of them.

People make mistakes. I will not judge Helder based on this but based on what I learned from him that I did not know before taught it to me.

Belts don't make teachers. Skills and ability make teachers..
    But I do feel it takes away from all the hard work everyone else had to endure to earn their respective ranks.
    Belts dont make teachers.
    Ethic make's teachers.
    Helder Nunes is a fraud. He does not have the technical knowledge that you say he does. I have trained with him, I dont know him from a fancy seminar.
    My personal opinion is that frauds must be kept outside the martial arts world, and a martial artist must give the example.
    No need to defend Helder Nunes, he is not a teacher or a martial artist.Ask any of his students. Hell, ask any of his portuguese masters.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• kellyd
    replied
    Well all I can say is: I have known Helder and Mike for many years Via WKF and WEBBS. Neither one has done a personal foul to me and both are very skilled men in Juko shin Ryu Jui Jitsu and Can Ryu Jiu Jitsu.

I do not agree with padding documents to represent higher grades than what you are by anyone. Friend or not. But I will not turn my back on a friend regardless.

Helder is a very talented person and one can still learn a lot from him and Mike is exceptional in Jiu Jitsu to say the least.

I have been in the martial arts since 1973 and I currently hold a 4th dan in Juko Shin Ryu from Soke Bryan Cheek himself.

I have also known Prof Richard Morris since the late 80's very early 90's, I have studied under both men and both these men are amazing in what they do as well.
    I would not discredit either of them.

People make mistakes. I will not judge Helder based on this but based on what I learned from him that I did not know before taught it to me.

Belts don't make teachers. Skills and ability make teachers..
    But I do feel it takes away from all the hard work everyone else had to endure to earn their respective ranks.

Leave a comment:

• tapout74
    replied
    Hey KO'd N DOA,

My e-mail address is [email protected]. I'll answer any questions you have about Helder.

Mike Carrier
    Last edited by tapout74; 2/27/2009 10:58am, .

Leave a comment:

• MMAniac
    replied
    I remember Nunes comming to San Diego to teach a Judo Seminar! Man this guy gets around.

Leave a comment:

• manlobeiro
    replied
    Ma_sensei
    I know him, i trained with him.
    If you want proofs come to Portugal, or contact Helder Nunes sensei

Leave a comment:

• KO'd N DOA
    replied
    It appears that Nunes is still claiming his banner teaching Judo...

http://www.jiujitsuinternational.co....r_portugal.php

As for the Ottawa work he is involved in, there was an investigation on Nunes involvement in Ottawa, but the the Thread by NooB Graplex was tangled into a web about Religion...and the Bullshido members backed off...

Warriors of God Martial Arts - No BS Martial Arts

...This club is run by bullshido member Tapout74 aka Mike Carrier, who is a very nice guy and seems to have gotten his life sorted out.

The investigation thread was unsalvagable...but the lingering question was who is Carrier and Nunes is his lineage has stayed with me. I tried to email Tapout74, but he has not posted enough to receive PMs, as I have some further questions and a branch of this investigation.

Leave a comment:

• ma_sensei
    replied
    Hello mr lobeiro. I just would like to know about do you have proofs?? you must know him very well or from who did you gett all this information.

Leave a comment:

• ezdub
    replied
    Originally posted by manlobeiro View Post
    This gentleman had a false brown belt diploma in 2000/2001, when he got a 1st Dan Black belt, so he practices JuJitsu for eight years.
    I have send an email to his colleagues in Jujitsu International, and almost all of them or didnt know or didnt answer.
    But a few defende him, altough i am just saying the truth, if dont believe me, research.
    One of them is
    Oliver Gugel
    Jiu Jitsu International Germany
    6th Dan Jiu Jitsu

who was a little bit rude, and he seemed to me, very young to be also a 6th Dan.
    :toothy5:Uarever
    jeesus!

I took my 3rd dan in 2001, and now I have 4th.
    Some have it easier
    Might have some more info about him soon.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X