X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by najar2008 View Post
    It would be better if you share the club name and its website too for others help.
    Hope this helps, it was in the original poster's first couple of posts.
    Originally posted by default View Post
    US Elite Martial Arts-Arlington Heights IL
    Originally posted by default View Post

Leave a comment:

• najar2008
    replied
    It would be better if you share the club name and its website too for others help.

Leave a comment:

• Cake of Doom
    replied
    Hi Melissa and welcome to Bullshido. As this is your first post, why not head over to newbie town and make an introduction.

After looking at the website only one thing comes to mind: shopping channels. Mr Greer is advertising little to nothing as for as martial arts training goes on his site so if you don't fancy the boxercise classes at the local Y, this could be the next best thing* but there are probably better schools, more geared towards the actual arts in the area.

* I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• battlefields
    replied
    Hi Melissa,

I'd suggest doing some more research than just speaking to one instructor and promising yourself to do martial arts with him. You have come to the right place to research the topic of martial arts. Might I suggest introducing yourself in newbietown, it's a sub forum where you can let us know who you are and what your goals are in martial arts and hopefully, with the extensive knowledge base this site holds, people might be able to provide you with the best info so you make the best choice about where to invest your time and money.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Leave a comment:

• Fumasseqy
    replied
    Hi everyone,
    I am Melissa located in Arlington Heights... Few months ago my son attended a birthday party held at US Elite Martial Arts... That evening I met Master Greer and came away very impressed with how he ran the class, his credentials and the facility... From that brief meeting I made a promise to myself to take martial arts classes through Master Greer.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I think it's dead, too bad.

Gettingless...there is no practice on the 4th, starting back up tuesday

Leave a comment:

• jsteel
    replied
    This thread was originally about an instructor who allegedly claims false credentials. I e-mailed the gym regarding this and have still not received an answer. Has anyone else done anything to verify the claims on the website?

If this is a dead issue this thread should be moved out of MABS.

Leave a comment:

• GettingLessFat
    replied
    Friday was a no go, the old lady needed the auto. Tuesdays are also one of my current club's meeting days. Are you guys doing the 4th or do you have families and such?

Leave a comment:

replied
    did you check them out friday gettingless? I'll be there tonight

Leave a comment:

• GettingLessFat
    replied
    Originally posted by default
    Free Ippons
    What a deal!

Leave a comment:

replied
    I can't speak for the glenview park district program, I don't have experience with them at all. It sounds like they may have been practicing a combination, an Osoto gari into a hari goshi?? I don't have nearly enough experience to comment on it, so maybe someone with more could explain?
    As far as the free class is concerned, there is a phone number for contact on the site, you may get a better explanation from them.
    I will be there next week, but probally not friday, going fishing. But, when I get back I will gladly try to ippon you if you'd like during randorri. Free Ippons...seriously if you really need one. I've got about 50 lbs on you, but there are people your size there.

Leave a comment:

• GettingLessFat
    replied
    anyone is welcome to stop by and try a free trial class, just so you know, you'll probally end up doing breakfalling and stuff the first class, so you might not be that involved in randori/newaza too much, so don't be dissapointed I believe that's pretty standard in a judo club. instructor is open though, we have class tonight @ 7, not sure if he'll be there but he usually is, I've been out the last week with a bad back.
    If you're curious I'm the dopey, clumsy, bad white judo player, hard to miss.
    I can come in for a free class? Sounds great! I might do that next Friday. You're sure though, because I have a bit of a story about that claim.

So the Glenview Park District also has a Judo program, and I called the pd's secretary to get the number of the judo instructor or representative, and she keeps trying to give me the # of some Karate school. After explaining the differences, she tells me that the # for the rep for the Judo program, and says to come in for a trial class.

Obviously this woman has no idea what she's talking about, when I get there the sensei tells me that for insurance reasons I can't even step on the mats without signing up.

Welp, that sucks, so I watch the class. It's one hour, and no one around my age and size (17, ~170) just grown men working with eachother and spazzing kids with no technique.
    The instructor can't get the kids in line, and at Randori time there were no ippons. Also, at a later date some of the adult students were reffing, though they admitted they had no idea how.

So yeah. Also, one more specific example, one of the techniques taught was to begin o soto gari, then instead of sweeping, plant the sweeping foot behind the uke and spin the trailing foot so your back is at the uke's front. Then turn it into a hip throw. Maybe it's me, but this is basically handing an o soto gari to the uke. Just a standard defence, lifting the leg and taking the weight off the foot being swept, then they've handed you the throw and they're even spinning into it.

So yeah. I had to get that off my chest. :)

Leave a comment:

• Heltern
    replied
    anyone is welcome to stop by and try a free trial class, just so you know, you'll probally end up doing breakfalling and stuff the first class, so you might not be that involved in randori/newaza too much, so don't be dissapointed I believe that's pretty standard in a judo club. instructor is open though, we have class tonight @ 7, not sure if he'll be there but he usually is, I've been out the last week with a bad back.
    Hey, you look like me?! I think we all look that way, and Judo is harder than it looks. Balance, fit, throw seems to be an easy thing to do until you try it. My current nightmare is Morote Seoi Nage, at least as bad as my first TKD teacher was (I have since had way better) I fall better than the Aikido people do and basically just got into throws my first class after demonstrating I knew how to fall properly already.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• jsteel
    replied
    Originally posted by GettingLessFat
    Jsteel, I appreciate the help, but we're all in Illinois.

EDIT: Found it! Thanks
    Sorry, I assumed you were asking me because your post was right under mine. Oh well, if you ever move to Buffalo you know where to go for Judo. :5bouncy:

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X