Sport Fighting is the Answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport Fighting is the Answer

The following is something I wrote that I am thinking of submitting as an article. Let me know what you think (I'm trying to build up that thick skin as we speak!).

Regard,
    Matt

howwould have hit. A light kick could haveI
    Last edited by Matt W.; 11/25/2003 9:52am, .

Comment

Notice that the arts which dominate MMA are SMA and not TMA

Comment

needs work.

Comment

Kis,

So hit me up with some suggestions, man.

Regards,
          Matt

Comment

very nicely written dude!......... and more to the point you mention dog brothers!!!!!!!!!!!! KICKASS.

where would you say judo fitted into your categorisation?

Comment

I'm with you, nice work.

Comment

Randori = sport fighting.

It's not a traditional v. modern thing. It's a sport fighting v. no fighting thing. Kyokushin and Shidokan are two pretty traditional Japanese arts, IMO. But they both have sport fighting outlets.

Regards,
                Matt

Comment

Okay, well specifically, you shouldn't begin a sentence with a conjunction. Several of you sentences that begin with "and" should not be ideas in their own right, i.e. sentence fragments. Use a comma and make compound sentences. This will help your ideas have smoother transitions and flow throughout the article.

A note on content: How have you actually used sport fighting to help your traditional training? Provide some form of a testimonial.

Ex. Tell me how you did in your first sport fighting tournament as opposed to the last one you competed in. How did you change your training methods? What holes have you filled in your traditional training? How do you feel about you ability to defend yourself now?

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Kis,

Thanks. It is my understanding that, though starting a sentence with "and" or "but" is usually to be avoided, is is not technically wrong. Is that true? I will rewrite for sentence fragments, though.

As for me, I have done sport fighting in the training hall (BJJ and wrestling), but my first official competition isn't until Dec 28. Neverhteless, even the training in it I've done has opened my eyes and done wonders for my abilities. I am hesitant, however, to hold myself up as a shining example of my point though. Do you really think the article would benefit from more personal examples?

Thanks,
                    Matt

Comment

Beginning a sentence with a conjunction is not technically wrong. My motivation in suggesting this change was to enhance the style of the article.

Just one good example to join the ideas presented in your article with a real-life occurrence.
                      For example, you could say, "Even though I did poorly at my first sport fighting tournament, I learned more about myself in one day than I had in years of traditional training."
                      Then expound on this idea.

Comment

Kis,

I did do a quick rewrite for the conjunction thing. I'm still thinking about another addition along the lines of an example.

Regards,
                        Matt

Comment

Cool, rewrite is much better. The way you restructured your next to last paragraph almost eliminates the need for an example. If you decide to use one, put it in the closing paragraph and just use a couple of sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster Master
                            Notice that the arts which dominate MMA are SMA and not TMA
                            Gee maybe because MMA competition is.....*hold for dramatic pause* a SPORT!:eek:

MattW,

You were taught to DISBAIN 'sprort MA' in a TKD class.:confused:

Randori = sport fighting.
                            RANDORI looses translates to free play. Karate use the term Jiyu Kumite. It not really SPORT FIGHTING. It a training tool. When you say SPORT FIGHTING you give the impression of fighting competively for an award. But Randori was not developed for that it was developed to help train pple. Even before Kodokan Judo, Jikishin Judo used to term RAN (which the term RANDORI comes from) for the same training method with was not done for SPORT then.
                            ______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

I think Black Belt Magazine would run your article. They'll edit it to their liking anyway, so don't worry too much about grammar and sentence structure.

The managing editor is Sara Fogan, [email protected]. You should submit the article. She will give you an answer within a few days.

R. McLain

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X