Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ironMung.
    replied
    The lady hosting the show was simply one of those fools who are easily persuaded by cooperated, predictable and unrealistic attack that is countered by graceful and uncontested motions ... funny she is a student of Aikido where you commonly see chosen attackers to attack with a wrist grab and intentionally hold on and throw there own bodies around that is abided by desire to emphasize effectiveness and not by the defenders actual physical manipulation. The lady doesnt seem well trained in any system of martial arts. Shes a twig and emphasizes profficiency where it isnt merited as far as combat application is concerned.

To sum up all that was said in regards to the system of Capoiera... The concept of "Trickery" or being unpredictable in attack and how to do the jinga. She discovered the concept of "trickery"in Capoiera in the midst of a conversation about "trickery with the old man who randomly tripped her in the process of his lecture on "trickery". Nothing beyond that was informative besides speaking about the culture and history of the brazilian people and the existence of capoiera... If you ask me that old man she was following around was so disoriented when he and the other teacher were in the midst of exchanging attacks... If I hadn't known about Capoiera before this ... I would say that Capoiera is plain stupid and misguided as far as percieving what to expect in combat.

The indian Martial Arts portion was a bit better, although the lady seemed to have little to say as far as effectiveness was concerned. She just abided to moving the way she was told to move and was never offered much explanations. Most of the movements were so unecessary i.e. slapping the ground, grossing arms agaisnt body while samaeltaneously shifting upper torso forward in a grounded stance, the waving of limbs inn the midst of moving the torso in directions (it was wierd)... My descriptions are poor, but there was plenty of motion that just seemed damn unecessary. Overall, I thought the art had some things to offer, but I've seen more in my year and a half of studying the FMA's, if anyone has seen sumbrada... it was all they seemed to do. They had some cool blind folded demonstrations of sumbrada and some blindfolded melon chopping where this one student alomost chopped the arm off one other student. LOL. The lady was just amazed by the fact that it was different - perpetuating the mentality of all bullshidoists.

Lets see what happens next episode.
    Last edited by ironMung.; 11/28/2003 6:56pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Freddy
    replied
    Thanks BIGBANGSingh. I knew there was a name for it but I couldnt remember. Have you even seen it before?

Leave a comment:

• BIGBANGSingh
    replied
    Kushti: Indian Wrestling

http://www.lotusmedia.co.uk/sikhstud...0Wrestling.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Freddy
    replied
    One thing for sure those kalarypayattu gus are really flexible. Maybe I ought to take up Hatha yoga to condition up my body.
    I hope to see something on East Indian/South Asian wrestling???

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    wouldn't hurt

Leave a comment:

• shironinja
    replied
    What if I'm just really sweaty? Will that make me a better UFC fighter?

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    I think it woul dbe impossible to beat them, for sure you could never grapple them.
    If you saw the show, you would have seen them rub oil all over their bodies, can't grapple an oil slick !!!!!
    Maybe that is the answer to grappling and BJJ, drench your self in cooking oil !!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• shironinja
    replied
    Also watched it. After I visited the website. These kalaripayattu pictures are hella funny:

http://www.kalaripayattu.org/image.htm

I demand to see kalaripayattu stylists in martial arts competitions.

Leave a comment:

• BIGBANGSingh
    replied
    If my martial history is correct, I believe Kalaripayattu is some sort of derivative of Shastar Vidiya:

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/htmls/home.html

Leave a comment:

• Scrotumlock
    replied
    I missed most of the Cap part, but caught the part when the older dude (with the white beard) whipped the woman down hard on her back at the beach. I found that amusing, as she had no clue it was coming, and the guy wasn't gentle about it. But there was a lot of history talking and footage of guys practicing their routines and kicks very sloooooooooowly.

The Kalaripayattu looked kinda neat, probably more so because I hadn't seen it before than due to it's actual "neatness". Holy religion/tradition/mysticism batman! That ain't the kind of art you do on weekends while you're in town going to college for two years. Although I think the warm-ups and prepping would be ideal for the closet homo... you see that guy they had stripped naked face down on the floor with ropes tied to his arms and legs so they could oil him up good and proper?... and then they have the massage components too. But I digress. Looks to have quite a bit of preset routines like kata; that indian girl they had swinging the knife around blindfolded was an example. Wonder how many takes it took to get that sequence right - it looked like she could have given that one guy a nick on the arm.

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    Pressure points on the arms work, IF you fucking hit them like you got a pair of balls !!!!
    This light tap shit bothers me, big time.
    A guy once said to me: pressure points don't work on a guys arm ( he had 19" arms), so I punched him in the bicep, full force !! He didn't weight train for a week, his arm was so sore.
    His reaction? "that wasn't a touch". No shit !!!

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    That is the one, yep.
    IN the 80's there was a program from GB I think, of this former Commando, going around the world and learning all these different MA. He was taught/saw some serious shit.

Leave a comment:

• drunkenj
    replied
    is that the art where for the fistr few months you do yoga, then weapons then empty hand last, i saw a program on that a few years ago, a guy i used to train with was going to india for a year or two to train that and make a documentary about it, i left though so i dont know what ever came of it

Leave a comment:

• Ronin
    replied
    The indian art, which was the second hour, is called Kalaraptitu (sp?) or some shit like that :)
    I was disappointed with the capoeira part, they did NOT show the martial art, only the regular version that everyone sees and they stretched it to the full hour , when 30 min would have been enough. The indian art one was nice, I had seen something like that in the 80's and that ones was more complete, but it was a GUY going around the world and this program was a woman ( Canadian) so she was not shown what they would have shown a man.
    STill the 4th level of Kalarapitu or hwhatever its name is, was the hand-to- hand stage, and the techniques they showed here were the VERY basic ones with some vital points striking.
    ON a funny note: the gurrukai ( teacher) showed her where to strike on the arm to disarm the attacker with the knife, but she didn't feel it and he said, women don't feel certain points !!!
    Ah yes, the BS lives on , even in India :)

Leave a comment:

• drunkenj
    replied
    stabbing them with broken bits of poppadom, and poisoning them over a period of years with the funny coloured rice

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X