where did bam bam get his rank?[MOD NOTE: rank confirmed]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where did bam bam get his rank?[MOD NOTE: rank confirmed]

i try to stay off these forums. i know that when you get on one, you have to be prepared for everyone to turn on you. but i gotta ask. who gave scott bam bam sullivan his rank of black-belt? he says he got rank from roberto mario. i googled "roberto mario." sure enough he has a nice website, with some great stills, and action shots. yet when i asked around no one knew who he was. i'm not saying, he's a fake or that bam bam is a fake. i'm sure that they are very bad-ass. another thing that puzzles me is they both have given themselves rank under "the roberto mario confederation of brazilian jiu-jitsu." who are they? and why did they choose to break away from CBJJ?

eveyone knows that it's a bitch to get rank in BJJ. i thought that the only 2 legitimate organizations were the machados and the CBJJ.

so i ask with all due respect, where does bam bam come from? has anyone ever seen this guy do BJJ? and who is the mysterious roberto mario? why did they break away from the main stream BJJ oragnizations? has bam bam been taking his students to locall tournaments? can his people fight? why doesn't he have any BJJ on his website.

having grown up in houston, those of us into BJJ all know each other. when some one new comes into town like leo xavier, or anderson leal, or tim credore (excuse my spelling) we all talk about him. we all find out pretty fast if he's for real.

From http://www.jiujitsuworld.com/blog/?m=200701&paged=2

Scott Sullivan’s “Greatest Hits”!

For those of you who are not familiar with Scott, he is a close friend of mine and an EXCELLENT kickboxer. I have seen a lot of good strikers, but nobody that kicks as hard as he does! Scott was also recently promoted to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt. Enjoy the video!

This dated January 2007 and is from Roberto Mario's site - this is indicative that Sullivan's promotion was not through Mario.

Comment

And here http://onthemat.com/belts_database.p...ils&beltid=826 seems to confirm his rank.

By process of elimination he earned it under Anibal Braga who is a 3rd degree black belt

Hope this helps...by the way it took me about 10 minutes. You really should learn to google better!
      Last edited by Hanniballistic; 5/22/2008 8:05am, .

Comment

Originally posted by GRINGO1
        why doesn't he have any BJJ on his website.
        He does:

http://www.bambammartialarts.com/muay-thai-Houston.asp

If you click on "Programs," you'll see that BJJ is offered every day, Monday through Friday.

When Pedro Alberto came to Houston, were you and the boys able to figure out who he got his black belt from?

Good to see you again, GRINGO1!

Comment

Also, it's Mario Roberto.

Comment

From Scott's website:

Scott began to study Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under various big names like Rickson Gracie, Relson Gracie, Royce Gracie, and John and Carlos Machado. Eventually however, he went with his close friend and jiu jitsu extraordinaire Mario Roberto, president of the Mario Roberto Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Association

Comment

first of all, i think that pedro got his rank under roberto travren. he started teaching while going to u of h, law school. i should mention that non of this means anything to me. pedro has never competed in bjj. in fact he left brazil as a brown belt, and got off the plane as a black belt. roberto travren went on to get his arm broken by a purple belt named frank mirr in the ufc.

as for bam bam, why doesn't he show a little bjj on his website. i'm sure that if he could kick my ass in kickboxing. i would like to know what level grappler he is. for that matter i would like to see mario roberto do some bjj. what has he won? shoot fighting doesn't count. becaus everyone knows that a lot of that stuff is fake. as for anabal braga, (no disrespect) but as far as i know he got his rank as a referee.

Comment

Originally posted by GRINGO1
                first of all, i think that pedro got his rank under roberto travren.
                Yay! You did it!

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?FighterID=142

in fact he [Pedro Alberto] left brazil as a brown belt, and got off the plane as a black belt.
                So Eric Williams got his black belt from a guy who was a brown belt?

http://www.elite-martial-arts.com/lineage.htm

Comment

Well?

Comment

I train under Scott Sullivan and I think he's a pretty cool guy.....

sure a hell of a lot better than bushi ban's "master zuhair", now THAT guy's a fraud.

The only things I can say about Bam Bam is that it lacks conditioning, it's fairly new so the ammount of badasses in there is lacking...lot of n00bs want to parthner up and don't hold pads right...

and we dont ever do any shrimping in our BJJ class.....

I hope somebody can tell me why the fuck are they saying shootfighting's fake and if this guy is worth me spending money and commuting to.

I mean...is elite martial arts supposed to be better? is there a milethich fighting system anywhere in houston?

Comment

GRINGO1,

I am usually a lurker and don't post very often. However, I am a strong believer that validating somebody's rank through investigation is a good thing when done in a proper and respectful manner. We all know there are some people out there who are not what they claim to be. This is not the case.

I promoted Scott Sullivan to the rank of black belt. I have been a black belt since 1998 and I have only promoted 3 people to the rank during these 10 years: Jose Morais (a Brazilian), Scott Sullivan and James Clingerman. Scott is a very technical grappler and more than deserves his promotion. He has been training for years -- we started training together in 1997, and he was already a blue belt back then. In fact, as far as I know, he was the first blue belt in the state of Indiana.

As far my credentials or whether I am a "real" black belt by your standards, you can either believe my forum tags (which are not given away without investigation from the mods) or read some feedback on the following thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68454

Best regards,

Mario Roberto

Comment

Hi Gringo1,
                        I appreciate your courteous policing efforts on my credentials. I think Mario has pretty much summed up the BJJ side of things, so I don't need to add any more to that.

As for shootboxing being fake, this is simply false. Granted that any combat sport can be fixed and faked, and many in Japan like Pancrase are, I am unaware of any fixed shootboxing fights in Japan and I certainly didn't participate in any fixed shootboxing matches.

As for my students competing, well, it is true we are a young school - barely one year old. Nevertheless, we did send 9 guys to the last tournament here in Houston and brought home seven medals. I thought that was pretty good for starters and I hope to build on this in the future.

Finally, I'm sorry that you were disappointed that I don't "have any BJJ on my website". I suppose I would like to add this sort of thing, but I'm too busy teaching my students and spending time with my wife and 5 beautiful children.

In any case, perhaps the above will ease your publicly expressed curiosities and apparent frustrations regarding my business.

Kind regards,
                        Scott Sullivan

Comment

Mario Roberto and Scott have given a much more polite, concise, eloquent and grammatically correct explanation about their credentials than GRINGO1's lazy quasi-inquiry. Thank you both.

One would only hope that GRINGO1 replies soon with an apology, an explanation of sorts (or maybe something he knows that we don't know) rather than dissapear into the anonymous void of the internet...

... and if he does chooses to reply back, by the sweat freaking love of Bhaal, at least make the effort to write with proper grammar and capitalization.
                          Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Originally posted by MarioRoberto
                            GRINGO1,

I am usually a lurker and don't post very often. However, I am a strong believer that validating somebody's rank through investigation is a good thing when done in a proper and respectful manner. We all know there are some people out there who are not what they claim to be. This is not the case.

I promoted Scott Sullivan to the rank of black belt. I have been a black belt since 1998 and I have only promoted 3 people to the rank during these 10 years: Jose Morais (a Brazilian), Scott Sullivan and James Clingerman. Scott is a very technical grappler and more than deserves his promotion. He has been training for years -- we started training together in 1997, and he was already a blue belt back then. In fact, as far as I know, he was the first blue belt in the state of Indiana.

As far my credentials or whether I am a "real" black belt by your standards, you can either believe my forum tags (which are not given away without investigation from the mods) or read some feedback on the following thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68454

Best regards,

Mario Roberto

Originally posted by clansullivan
                            Hi Gringo1,
                            I appreciate your courteous policing efforts on my credentials. I think Mario has pretty much summed up the BJJ side of things, so I don't need to add any more to that.

As for shootboxing being fake, this is simply false. Granted that any combat sport can be fixed and faked, and many in Japan like Pancrase are, I am unaware of any fixed shootboxing fights in Japan and I certainly didn't participate in any fixed shootboxing matches.

As for my students competing, well, it is true we are a young school - barely one year old. Nevertheless, we did send 9 guys to the last tournament here in Houston and brought home seven medals. I thought that was pretty good for starters and I hope to build on this in the future.

Finally, I'm sorry that you were disappointed that I don't "have any BJJ on my website". I suppose I would like to add this sort of thing, but I'm too busy teaching my students and spending time with my wife and 5 beautiful children.

In any case, perhaps the above will ease your publicly expressed curiosities and apparent frustrations regarding my business.

Kind regards,
                            Scott Sullivan
                            Gentleman, as an avid poster here on Bullshido, I would like to give you both a heartfelt welcome. I'm sure I speak for many on this board when I say it is refreshing to hear from the both of you on this issue. I think investigations like these not only root out the frauds in BJJ and other martial arts but also provides a reference for others who may be curious about the two of you. I also hope that it would be a template as to how others should respond with these types of questions. Many others usually respond very defensively as if they have something to hide and a lot of times do. You two have provided very easily verifiable information that pretty much concludes this thread. Most would consider responding to an Internet forum below them. I for one am glad you two choose a different wrote and spoke openly about your history in the BJJ community.

If either of you are even in the Bellingham, WA area, let me know.

Comment

This thread sure was nipped in the bud fast
                              Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                              ...Willing is not enough you must do
                              ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X