Michelle Martin BB in Baltimore, MD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michelle Martin BB in Baltimore, MD?

Has anyone from MD ever heard of this chick. There is a thread about here on nhbgear.com. My MMA/BJJ instructor said he questioned her about her lineage a few years ago and she claimed to have received her belt from the same place the Gracies did, whatever that means. He asked her if she meant JJJ and apparently she started getting angry and hurling insults.

Link to her site
    http://www.methodmma.com

Link to her old site
    http://www.sekaimartialarts.com

Link to the discussion on nhbgear
    http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.p...c,81640.0.html

from the smae place the Gracies did...

page out of Sensei Al's book

can't find this person on nationally ranked.com, dunno if thats my search fu or not

Comment

Here is some updates and some minor investigation

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.p...dseen.html#new

Comment

Weird, never even heard of her or the school. The Maryland grappling community is pretty small. That doesn't really mean much, just figured I'd have heard of them at least. Then again, she is out in Bel Air.
        Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/12/2008 2:49pm, .

Comment

Yeah, never heard of her or her school.

Comment

Originally posted by BudoMonkey
            It is my opinion that we should not question any female bjjers. As long as they keep pulling guard on eachother we're all happy, right?
            It is my opinion that you generally need to post less and lurk more.

Danielson, if you want a serious discussion, try posting here:
            Martial Arts BS, Fraud, Investigations, and Standards - Bullshido.com Discussion - No BS Martial Arts
            Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/12/2008 2:48pm, .

Comment

Just a joke, geez. Deleted.
              "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
              And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Google Michelle Martin juijitsu to get a load of information. Her school is in Bel Aire Md. She has a verifiable fight record.

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickZ
                  It is my opinion that you generally need to post less and lurk more.

Danielson, if you want a serious discussion, try posting here:
                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10
                  Thanks I will

Comment

What I found from a google

http://www.grapplers.com/Rated/scrn_...terId=32454311

Comment

email exchange between Richmond VA legit BB (name removed) and Michelle

Hello Michelle,

I am writing to thank you again for traveling down to Richmond for the seminar and training. We hope you and Eddie had a great time, and learned a lot!

I checked out your website, and I have a question for you. I noticed you have listed that you are a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu on your site, yet you wore a Brown Belt at the seminar. I am a little confused as to your actual rank, and who gave it to you. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you telling me that your instructor was a guy who went around learning stuff from many people over the years, but was not affiliated/associated with anyone in the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu community.

I have spent well over ten years in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and have dedicated my life to the art. I feel that it is very important that BJJ Belt ranks be legitimate, and true.

Please help me understand your ranking and lineage.

Regards, $$$$$

Here was her reply:

Hi $$$$, Thank you for letting us come down! We had a great time, and every one was very nice. About my belt...I'm not listed as a BJJ black belt, for obvious reasons....I'm not. I said that I compete in BJJ tournaments. I have a black belt under Eric Gable (who has 4 black belts all 4th degree and higher) and Sekai Martial Arts, it is a mixed martial arts style including jiu-jitsu, wrestling, wrist locks, kickboxing, etc. My students are not ranked in BJJ and they know that, it is just part of what we teach. Here is his email if you?d like to find out more about him. [email protected] I did not where my black belt to the seminar, for the simple reason that I knew that the seminar was centered on BJJ black belts. I did not want to step on any one's toes, cause any problems, or just down right feel uncomfortable. I basically didn?t want to have this conversation at your school. J I understand that you?ve trained for 10 years and I respect and appreciate the Gracie?s and their system and your dedication to the sport. I have also trained for over 8 years, and it has been my life since then. It took me 7 years to receive my black belt. Without having to go into too much detail on defending my school, and myself we have plenty of credentials to back up our style.
                      I hope that you can understand and respect our school and our system as I do yours. I would like to continue to have a friendly relationship with your school. We are one of the first schools to use this system (ranking in Mixed Martial Arts), and I?m sure that you will see more in the near future.

Thanks again.
                      Michelle Martin
                      Method Jiu-Jitsu
                      Formerly Sekai Martial Arts
                      410-734-9545
                      www.methodmma.com
                      [email protected]

I then wrote back:

Hi Michelle,

I guess I'm confused, as the wording on your website leads me to believe that you are a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I think that it would be a good move to re-word your instructor bio, so that your ranking is clear (aka I am a Black Belt in Sekai Martail Arts, not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu). As of now, the common reader (I believe) would assume that you are advertising yourself as a BJJ Black Belt.

I'm also confused, as you wore a Brown Belt to a BJJ seminar. Are you a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? Do you have an official BJJ ranking?

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully, $$$$

Her reply:

I am disappointed in your overall attitude about this $$$$...I thought that I explained myself clearly. If you'd like to discuss the content on the web, you can contact Eddie, he would be glad to talk to you about it. 443-299-9137
                      Michelle Martin
                      Method Jiu-Jitsu
                      Formerly Sekai Martial Arts
                      410-734-9545
                      www.methodmma.com
                      [email protected]

My last e-mail to Michelle:

Hmmm,

Interesting reaction. I feel like my attitude has been respectful, and my questions and comments have been fair. There are many people who run around promoting themselves as something they are not, and I wanted to make sure that you and your Academy didn't get into any trouble with the greater Jiu-Jitsu community. I was actually trying to look out for you, as I thought you folks were very nice.

Apparently, I've struck a nerve, and that concerns me. Maybe you are trying to market yourselves as something you are not? If that's the case (and I've given you the benefit of the doubt up to now), then that is not okay, and you folks need to be clear about your credentials, and what you actually teach. As of now, I think that it is very ambiguous and deceptive.

As for calling Eddie about your web content, I don't believe that's necessary. I don't know why you can't have a logical conversion with me yourself, as you are the Instructor and owner of the school, correct?

So, are you a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Brown Belt, or do you actually hold no legitimate ranking in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I don't go to Kung Fu seminars with my BJJ Black Belt on.

All we have in this world are our good names. All I was trying to do was point out something that could potentially get you folks negative attention, and potentially put you in bad garces with the BJJ community.

I hope you can put your defensiveness aside and see that.

Take care, $$$$

She has not replied since, and her site remains the same.

Those are the facts.

Comment

Wow she went from seemingly open in one e-mail to instantly defensive in the next. There are plenty of red flags in her e-mail, the most of which is her evasiveness. And she keeps trying to deflect your questions to some other guy.

Comment

Well, her website doesn't specifically say she is a blackbelt in b.j.j, it certainly makes it sound like she is...clever, very clever

According to: http://www.grapplers.com/Rated/stand...fm?groupType=2

Women's Blue Belt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: 36th Michelle Martin (Sekai Martial Arts)

so 36th in the world? I don't know, much about that site, but, she has competed in b.j.j tournaments

Event Name: World Grappling Games Best in the West
                          Division: Women's Advanced No-Gi Class A (114.9 lbs. and below)
                          Place: 2nd Place - 50 Points

Event Name: Grapplers Quest West VII Grappling Championships
                          Division: Women's Advanced No-Gi Class A (114.9 lbs. and below)
                          Place: 2nd Place - 250 Points

Division: Women’s BJJ Blue Belt Absolute
                          Place: 2nd Place - 325 Points

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                          3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                          I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                          That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                          Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                          I agree with moosey

Comment

Actually, her first reply seemed pretty reasonable. The follow up question (about if she's a brown belt) was also reasonable. Even if she's not a true BJJ brown belt, the girl's obviously got skills. Given that, I'd even buy a response of, "Well not really, but I'd be sandbagging as a white and yet didn't want to wear my art's black belt either. So I decided to just wear a brown to represent my skill level."

I mean, out of curiosity, what would be the proper etiquette? She seems to be a black belt in a hybrid art that includes BJJ. That aspect of her game is good enough to make her a Naga champion. So, she attends a BJJ seminar (as one of the instructors?) because BJJ is part of the art she studies, yet she holds no actual rank in BJJ. What should she have done? Wore her black belt but just explained it was for Sekai MA? Wore a white belt and made everyone wonder why she was so good (or why she was helping instruct) but still wearing a white belt?

Actually, if anything, this points out the problem with even legitimately skilled MAists "creating" their own art. I mean, why? Why not just teach BJJ, karate and boxing (or whatever) and rank people in those? Why does it have to become one, renamed martial art? There's no need for it. And it can cause a lot of confusion, as this situation exemplifies.

Comment

Her website lists these disciplines in this order on the main page.

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

Muay Thai

Mixed Martial Arts

Submission Wrestling

Fitness Kickboxing

How come MMA is right there on the list with everything else when she claims that it is an MMA program?

Her record has been called into question also at nhbgear by the OP

“Michelle Martin
                              Owner/ Instructor
                              Black Belt who competes on a national level in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Submission Wrestling tournaments. Ranked #1 female in the country by the North American Grappling Association in No Gi Grappling in 2003. Michelle also qualified to compete in the first ever U.S. Grappling Team trials in Las Vegas.” (source: www.methodmma.com)

Let’s start with tournament experience. Her national tournament experience is comprised of exactly 4 googleable tournaments. I thought that might be a method bias - maybe most tournament results aren’t googleable – so I googled my own records and found that I have 8 googleable results to her four. I know some of my tournaments were left out by this search method; 2 Renzo invitationals, 2 NAGAs, 1 Yamasaki 10-year tournament, 1 local tournament and most U.S.G. events didn’t google up. By these methods I have twice as much tournament experience, and I’m no where near to black belt material. I thought maybe it was her “national” experience, but then I realized that she’d been living in CA when she did the Western events, so getting “national” competition experience wouldn’t have required even a plane ticket.

I was pretty amazed that someone with so few googleable tournament results should be “Ranked [the] #1 female in the country by the North American Grappling Association in No Gi Grappling in 2003”, so I checked www.nationallyranked.com. In 2003 Amie Turton was the #1 Ranked No-Gi female in the country, with more than three times as many points as Martin, the distant second. I was willing to give them the benefit of the typo until they put up a brand new website, with a brand new school name, and made the exact same claim.

Finally, I wondered how hard it is to qualify for the U.S. Grappling Team Trials. A friend of mine qualified simply by showing up at a tournament where no other female competitors registered in her division. Michelle did a little more than that; she showed up to a NAGA in 2007, fought one match, and lost.

So jiu-jitsu community, what would you do?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X