• El Neko
    replied
    For those interested

Attention South Florida Crew - No BS Martial Arts

Leave a comment:

• El Neko
    replied
    Originally posted by Pandinha
    Generally in this case, the burden is on that accused to provide proof as none can be found with searches.

You cannot disprove a negative.
    I agree, but the only "proof" we have, and is constantly put forward is his word and the word of his students, so :lame: screw it, I'm outta.

Nothing against the guy, I'm pretty sure he can take what he teaches and make it work for him, but the instruction is lacking (as I notice with some of the throws done by the students), because what works for him, won't necesarily (sp?) work for his students, and they have no way to find this out.

So fuck it, if they want to show up to the TD, they're more than welcome, but I don't see the need to go back to interview Bernie (this is only my opinion, if anybody wants to go meet the man and interview him, go right ahead)

Leave a comment:

• BudoMonkey
    replied
    Yea, we'll see Anthony. It didn't sound like there would be much in the way of a paper trail. I am gonna return there sometime in june to train with them for a day, (and bring my sparring gear -crosses fingers-), so if there is any info I will collect it and report it at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Pandinha
    replied
    Generally in this case, the burden is on that accused to provide proof as none can be found with searches.

You cannot disprove a negative.

Leave a comment:

• El Neko
    replied
    Ok, I don’t know if any of the senior members want to follow up on this, but I’m out of this investigation.

My reason is simple, there’s no way in hell that Bernie can prove any of his claims (60-80 pro fights [underground none the less], etc.), and there’s no fucking way we can disprove them, so I made up my mind:

He is a good “Karate” teacher, who requires certain level of fitness from his students, and that’s good, but in my honest opinion, I can not believe the fighting record he has (just because I can’t disprove it doesn’t mean is true), it annoys the crap out of me that not 10 minutes into the place, here comes this guy and tells me the Bernie’s the best because he has 80 (unproven) fights, well, it might be me being an ass but I believe that people like Hermes Franca (MMA record 18-6-0), Ricardo Liborio, Charles McCarthy (MMA record 10-5-0), and the rest of the instructors in the general area might disagree with this guy.

So if you want to get in shape and get a taste of Martial arts at the same time, by all means, go to this school and please take the stories with a grain of salt, but if your focus is actual self defense and really learning to fight (I’m sorry, you don’t learn to swim without getting in a freaking pool), there are plenty of other reputable schools in the area with a good track record and a proven background on the instructors, I agree that getting hit in the head isn’t for everybody and that’s the reason I consider Bernie’s school a great option for certain demographic.

I have nothing against the guy or his students, as a matter of fact, I’ll be more than happy if we can get this guys to be regular participants of Bullshido and our TD, but I won’t hold my breath

Leave a comment:

• El Neko
    replied
    I'm sorry boys and girls, I was having problems with my internet and I couldn't make it here

Pandhina, how was the comp? do you have photos or video? (link?)

Wenyful, although the pricing per month is less than ATT, is still $45 bucks more than what I pay for Judo, and it is (Macho, correct me if I'm wrong), exactly the same price as Ki-Itsu Sai Judo (one of the # one schools in the area for competition judo, and highly ranked nationaly), who meets 6 nights a week (so you could potentialy practice 6 days a week with some of the best Judo players in Fl.).

Leave a comment:

• wendyful
    replied
    It's $70 per month (including gym membership) or $15 per class. No contracts needed.

Leave a comment:

• wendyful
    replied
    I could be wrong, but I think it's $70/month to join the gym and train I-Shin. I don't think you have to sign an annual contract either. Shihan also does one on one training which I think is $80/hour, 3 session minimum package. You can email or call him to verify exact rates.

Leave a comment:

• DannyMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Pandinha
    I don't know what the fees are now, but I pay $120.00 month for unlimited BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Boxing, and MMA.
    Are you locked into a contract or can you get out anytime?

I'm trying to figure out how comprable what you have as to what was mentioned to me for Alliance here in Atlanta.

Leave a comment:

• Pandinha
    replied
    Originally posted by wendyful
    How much is it (if it's not too rude to ask)?
    I don't know what the fees are now, but I pay $120.00 month for unlimited BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Boxing, and MMA.

Leave a comment:

• student4lifenyc
    replied
    Ah yes.... You guys stopped by and tried it. Your experience was well documented. I am sure you guys have a better understanding of Bernie. I also saw Fred Mergen making comments. He too is also a great instructor. Sup Fred.
    I am glad that you guys found out that I-Shin is a wonderful experience for all to enjoy. I miss the rollong pins. I have my own rolling pin at home, but it is not the same.
    I had my best years training in Florida.
    It did upset me to hear some of the comments.
    Fred Mergen had a quote he would recite:
    To hear is to doubt,
    To see is to be deceived,
    but to feel is to believe,

Do you guys feel the rolling pins talking to you? Do you?
    I like the reviews of the school, perhaps the constant craving for sparring may entice Bernie to allow it. How much would it cost to put a ring into the gym? I would send money monthly to help build it if Roman would allow it.

Respectfully signing off,

Winston Lipton

Leave a comment:

• El Neko
    replied

And if sparring/competing is your sole/major motivation, then yeah this school probably isn't for you.

Sparring is a great part of martial arts, even if competition is not your main goal, it will teach you timing, special awareness (distance, positioning, etc.) and it will polish your technique to the point where you can do it properly against somebody who is actively resisting.

Hey Wingchundo, if you guys are so into ATT, how come your friend didn't want to go there? Isn't there one in Boca on Federal? Just curious, and I'm sure we'll be glad to have your friend at our school.

I believe Pandhina can answer this more clearly, however, I was also curious (and I forgot to ask last night) what are the cost and fees of training in I-Shin?

Leave a comment:

• wendyful
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wingchundo
    replied
    Wendy:

It's a colleague who I know, but I'm not close friends with. You have to realize that ATT is also prohibitively expensive for most of us as well. Beautiful training facility, top-notch instructors and top-notch tuition to go along with it.

If I could afford it, I'd train there.

Leave a comment:

• BudoMonkey
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your friend, Anthony. Good luck in the competition.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X