Anyone hear of I Shin in South Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BudoMonkey
    I used to train with a buddy at his dojo now again and he had a judo instructor who, after the class practicing on mats, would sometimes slide them away and have us compete against one another in front of the rest of the students on the hard wood floor. It's definetely a good way to get hurt, but it's also a good way to motivate you to stay on your feet I suppose.
    Yup, I can see that, however, as I understand, there are no mats whatsoever, so either, they have a high probability and number of injuries, or they're not doing high amplitude throws against a resisting oponent (nothing wrong with that, but it surprises me giving that the Shihan is a Shodan in Judo)

I guess that in their situation, where they are practicing throws more as stand alone techniques and not as an entire style, it's good enough for them. Either way- when in rome...
    I guess, however I'm trainning right now for a comp, so I have no intention of getting injure, or injure somebody else
    Originally posted by Phrost
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Originally posted by wingchundo
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Ah! You're right. I got one coming up too. I'm sure we'll be fine though.
      "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
      And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Ah! You're right. I got one coming up too. I'm sure we'll be fine though.
        I'm not too worry, my main concern on that day is to take pictures and video, if there's sparring Y might participate, I won't do throws or submissions though (if given the chance)

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.

Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

I'm loathe to do any sparring without mats. I've got NAGA in 42 days.
          Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
          "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

I wouldn't mind doing standing, I just have to not sweep or shoot for a takedown (and watch you fuckers because I know somebody is gonna shoot)

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Of course. I'm a grappler first and foremost. :)
              Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
              "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

No mats? And I thought that El Neko and I could finally resolve our Jude vs. JuJitsu grudge match.

Comment

Hey guys I am one of Shihan Bernd Hartmanns lower belt students, i've only been doing I-Shin for about 6 months and its my first martial arts discipline that i am learning... so no previous experience with any others. I've been following this forum for a few days now. I just wanted to say that i think its cool that you guys are going to come by and train it will definetely be fun for you guys and for us. As for the style of I-Shin... hmm I may be wrong by saying this (solo correct me please if im messing up... or a few low kicks to the thigh and ribs will do as punishment lol) but if i were to look for a similar style as I-shin i would have to say something like Krav Maga. Just an idea so you guys can imagine what it "looks" like. Again that is the style, our training is not like what you may or may not have seen on discovery channel.

Comment

About the Shihan from a german master student

Hi everybody,

first, please excuse my easy english, it is typical school english.

I had to be hisstudent the honor during his time in Germany. In this time I found out not only many techniques, but also many things about the life and the sense of the I-Shin. The training was not shaped only by hardness, sweat or strength but also of intellectual experience. I had tried out before different other martial arts, Taekwondo, Jiu-Jutsu and "normal" karate. Every single style has his before- and disadvantages, I decided for me that I-Shin unites the best components from all style directions in themselves. In Shihan Bernie I found not only a teacher but also a very good friend. BTW, I participated with Bernie in many competitions, regardless with which association , WKA, WICKO or WAKO, we were always very successful

:adios:

Comment

I guess we will see what do you mean by this statement

Originally posted by cassi
                      Hi everybody,

first, please excuse my easy english, it is typical school english.

I had to be hisstudent the honor during his time in Germany. In this time I found out not only many techniques, but also many things about the life and the sense of the I-Shin. The training was not shaped only by hardness, sweat or strength but also of intellectual experience.

a very nice gentleman, but our concern is more about his knowledge of martial arts.

I had tried out before different other martial arts, Taekwondo, Jiu-Jutsu and "normal" karate. Every single style has his before- and disadvantages, I decided for me that I-Shin unites the best components from all style directions in themselves.

What style of Jiu-jutsu? And what style of Karate? And for how long?

I believe that most arts have advantages and disadvantages, what I lack faith on is an art (or martial artist) that claims that is above those details, and that they have the key to cover those disadvantages.

In Shihan Bernie I found not only a teacher but also a very good friend. BTW, I participated with Bernie in many competitions, regardless with which association , WKA, WICKO or WAKO, we were always very successful

Do you have a website where we could verify this? What were the rules under which this competitions were run?

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

The problem is that at the time in 1990 - 1996 where we fought a lot in Germany and some other countries, there were not as many associations that provided their results in the Internet or stored it anyway yet. I can say about his abilities as combat sportsmen, that he was very often in America and hit regularly with Werner Trautner, with whom he learned, and also has trained again with him to learn more and more. Here in Germany only a Jiu-Jutsu is to me known, I trained 6 months, and that with the flinging is absolutely not my world. At the carat the "classical" karate tried out, but that was too traditional to me. Most of our competitions were full contact, once with Low kick, once without Low kick, depended on the association. I always also preferred as Bernie with Low kick. I hopes the answer helped you a little, I have to close for today, because i have to wake up very early. But I will come around again in the forum and keep on pursuing everything with great interest. To then cassi

Comment

The problem is that at the time in 1990 - 1996 where we fought a lot in Germany and some other countries, there were not as many associations that provided their results in the Internet or stored it anyway yet.

Thanks though.

I can say about his abilities as combat sportsmen, that he was very often in America and hit regularly with Werner Trautner, with whom he learned, and also has trained again with him to learn more and more.

Here in Germany only a Jiu-Jutsu is to me known, I trained 6 months, and that with the flinging is absolutely not my world. At the carat the "classical" karate tried out, but that was too traditional to me.

Do you know what style of Jiu-Jutsu this is?

What do you mean by classical karate? (Shotokan, Shito Ryu, Wado Ryu, Goju Ryu, etc.)

Most of our competitions were full contact, once with Low kick, once without Low kick, depended on the association. I always also preferred as Bernie with Low kick. I hopes the answer helped you a little, I have to close for today, because i have to wake up very early. But I will come around again in the forum and keep on pursuing everything with great interest. To then cassi

Looking forward to keep the ball rolling, good luck
                          Last edited by El Neko; 4/24/2008 2:46pm, .

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Am I the only one remotely worried that you guys will end up sliced into pieces and stuffed into cans of spam when you go to this school? These students seem very, very, very, dedicated. Kind of scary "Praise the leader!" dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by koreis
                              Am I the only one remotely worried that you guys will end up sliced into pieces and stuffed into cans of spam when you go to this school? These students seem very, very, very, dedicated. Kind of scary "Praise the leader!" dedicated.
                              They'd bridge and roll out.

I'm not too worried.

Comment

Originally posted by cyril
                                They'd bridge and roll out.

I'm not too worried.
                                See, that's why I'm a stand-up guy. Walking it off is like, half the effort of bridging, let alone rolling out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X