Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendyful
    Congrats to him!

I've been remiss in asking in which styles you all partake.
    I train at American Top Team.
    Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
    Muay Thai
    Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Judo in Boca Raton
      Originally posted by Phrost
      Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
      There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
      2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
      The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
      Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
      Get with the times and punch a chick.
      Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Originally posted by wingchundo
      Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Hey guys,

I don't watch the computer much, so forgive the delayed response time. And please forgive any comparisons to training, toughness, blah, blah. I am not young nor in prime shape. The german students are younger and in much better conditon than we are. Many of our students are new. Many students, even black belts from other schools don't seem to stay in the class for whatever reasons.

Some answers to your questions:

1. Sparring - When there were more senior students there was both much more semi-contact without protective gear and full contact with gear on. Due to a smaller class size we have had to adjust training to have little sparring, if any. We miss the sparring. We love the sparring. Maybe if you guys can come to class, we can start it up again.

2. Fight record of Shihan Bernie -- You have to realize that martial arts was banned in East Germany so the process of fighting was different than it is here in the free U.S. The penalty for practicing martial artswas arrest by the Stazi - the East German Secret Police. Bernie started competing while in karate training, did well and kept competing. The full contact "no-rules" "no protective gear fights were underground as they were illegal. After success in that area he was able to fight in the various European countries with accredited organizations. You have to ask him about the actual organizations' names. He has pics wearing title belts and such so ask him. I really am just about the present training.

3. KATAS - Coming from a tokutai shotokan school that had a roomful of kata trophies, (Master Toyotora Miyazaki in NYC) and Speakman kenpo with its numerous forms, it is unusual for me that we have only one kata, but one it is. The one kata incorporates movements from multiple forms but it isn't long or complicated or anything like that. Katas aren't the focus of our training. Shihan's classes focus less on ritual and tradition and more on conditoning the body, precise power and single and multiple attacker training.

BELTS - Belts , belts , belts. We don't give much priority to belts. In many of the schools around here, people should not be getting the belts they have - it seems they are just to make money on the graduation fees. If you earn the next belt with your capabilities, you get the next belt. Belts run in this color scheme - White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown I,II, III, Black... average is 10 years of constant training to attain black belt if I am correct.

I am not sure why we are being scrutinized like this. We respect all other forms and schools and wish all well but we do our own thing and can see the capabilities of our teacher. I have too many practitioners old and young from Germany traveling to the States and giving witness and credence to what Bernie states. If any of you are serious about competing and are talented, I would seriously recommend without an ounce of hesitation about training one on one with Shihan Bernie.

I have to run but if I missed any questions , you can ask at the dojo. I work horrific hours that keep me out of the dojo but I hope to meet you guys at the dojo wednesday. Laterz.
        Last edited by solowarrior; 4/22/2008 7:29pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by solowarrior
          I don't watch the computer much, so forgive the delayed response time. And please forgive any comparisons to training, toughness, blah, blah. I am not young nor in prime shape. The german students are younger and in much better conditon than we are. Many of our students are new. Many students, even black belts from other schools don't seem to stay in the class for whatever reasons.
          No problem dude, Like I said, I don't believe you guys were saying that as an insult, and even if that was the case, it doesn't really matter

1. Sparring - When there were more senior students there was both much more semi-contact without protective gear and full contact with gear on. Due to a smaller class size we have had to adjust training to have little sparring, if any. We miss the sparring. Maybe if you guys can come to class, we can start it up again.
          My thing with sparring (IMO), is that is hard to prove that a move works if it's not tried under stress, and one way to put stress and resistance into the practice, is sparring, that is just my opinion

2. Fight record of Shihan Bernie -- You have to realize that martial arts was banned in East Germany so the process of fighting was different than it is here in the free U.S. The penalty for practicing martial artswas arrest by the Stazi - the East German Secret Police. Bernie started competing while in karate training, did well and kept competing. The full contact "no-rules" "no protective gear fights were underground as they were illegal. After success in that area he was able to fight in the various European countries with accredited organizations. You have to ask him about the actual organizations' names. He has pics wearing title belts and such so ask him. I really am just about the present training.
          yup, I guess is just easier to ask him directly on Wed.

BELTS - Belts , belts , belts. In many of the schools around here, people should not be getting the belts they have - it seems they are just to make money on the graduation fees. Belts are not a big priority with us. If you earn the next belt with your capabilities, you get the next belt. Belts run in this color scheme - White, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown I,II, III, Black... average is 10 years to attain black belt if I am correct.
          is pretty much like the junior belt system of judo, I believe wendy said that you've been with this system for five years an you're a brown belt, right?

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.

Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Yes, I am now a brown belt in this system. I used to train 5 days a week with Shihan but due to my present job I am lucky if I can get to class twice a week. Somebody let me win the lottery so I can quit my job and just train!

Comment

Yes, I am now a brown belt in this system. I used to train 5 days a week with Shihan but due to my present job I am lucky if I can get to class twice a week. Somebody let me win the lottery so I can quit my job and just train!
              Quoted for truth, man. I had to quit training because of money. Hopefully that will change soon.

Appreciate the answers above. Please realize I'm not scrutinizing the school any more than I would for one I was considering. A friend either joined or is about to join and I just wanted to check it out.

I'm the type of person to background the hell out of any service I use, whether it be medical, dental, automotive or martial arts. I don't have a whole lotta money to spread around, so I've got to spend it wisely. And if I can help a friend make an informed decision involving money, you bet I'll do that too.
              Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

Hell yea- this is gonna be fun. I'm in good shape and used to rigorous training so I, for one, will definetely be participating and I'm looking forward to a good workout.
                "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
                And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Wing, that's admirable that you help out a friend to make sure he is not getting a poor quality service. I don't know if this style of training will suit what your friend is looking for but I can give a story that helped me decide to go with Bernie. I was traing american kenpo about 5-6 years ago and Bernie asked to be a guest instructor at the school on a Friday. Only the sensei and the senior black belt and I (a lowly blue belt) showed up for the class. It was a 2.5 hour workout. I never experienced such a training, even compared to Miyazaki in nYC with his ruthless japanese style. 3/4 way through,i had to go to the bathroom and lay on the cold tile floor praying I could throw up. Even though I was very used to training with pads for many years, bernie's first low kick was so hard, it broke my toe as it stayed on the mat while the rest of my leg shot out. That was a first in all my years. When I got home, my girlfriend almost called an ambulance because my lips were blue and I was pale. Granted, I wasn't conditioned as well as the full time BBs but it was a level of performance and power that is hard to find. That was what I was looking for and hopefully your friend is looking for something like that. Plus, Bernie can fix injuries as was mentioned before by other students. It is a huge plus while training. And yes, he fixed my toe.
                  Budo is going to enjoy it. He sounds like a masochist like me.

Comment

Wing, that's admirable that you help out a friend to make sure he is not getting a poor quality service. I don't know if this style of training will suit what your friend is looking for but I can give a story that helped me decide to go with Bernie. I was traing american kenpo about 5-6 years ago and Bernie asked to be a guest instructor at the school on a Friday. Only the sensei and the senior black belt and I (a lowly blue belt) showed up for the class. It was a 2.5 hour workout. I never experienced such a training, even compared to Miyazaki in nYC with his ruthless japanese style. 3/4 way through,i had to go to the bathroom and lay on the cold tile floor praying I could throw up. Even though I was very used to training with pads for many years, bernie's first low kick was so hard, it broke my toe as it stayed on the mat while the rest of my leg shot out. That was a first in all my years. When I got home, my girlfriend almost called an ambulance because my lips were blue and I was pale. Granted, I wasn't conditioned as well as the full time BBs but it was a level of performance and power that is hard to find. That was what I was looking for and hopefully your friend is looking for something like that. Plus, Bernie can fix injuries as was mentioned before by other students. It is a huge plus while training. And yes, he fixed my toe.
                    Budo is going to enjoy it. He sounds like a masochist like me.
                    So you do spar full contact? No pads I take it?
                    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Solowarrior,

Thank you for more clarification.

I am somewhat troubled by this line:

Plus, Bernie can fix injuries as was mentioned before by other students. It is a huge plus while training..
                      I know your instructor was a sports physical therapist in Germany, however he is not licensed in the state of Florida to practice any type of medicine, physical therapy or otherwise (You can search here and here if you don't believe me).

It kinda sounds like he has treated some of his students, which is a little troubling.

Now if you're talking a little tiger balm or what not, that's cool. But if you're getting much beyond that, I'd be a little worried.

Comment

Well, I don't think we're gonna hear an answer to this until one of them checks with Bernie, which is not necessarily a bad thing

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Wing,

Again, it is a matter of international politics. He graduated physical therapy at Humboldt University and even though the requirements are tougher and the schooling is more comprehensive than the US ( he has done internships in German hospitals for PT), the US physical therapy license requires he has to study all over again in a US university...a bit of a frustrating situation. Imagine if you had an excellent degree in PT and was asked to start all over again.
                          I am not going to elaborate further. Just go see him and ask about an inury you may have. You decide for yourself.
                          Wooo, I live on Tiger Balm by the way. Costco stopped carring the excellent 2 pak of the Ultra-strength white tiger balm.

Comment

The toe break was while holding a pad.

Comment

Oh. Thought it was during sparring.

Comment

Again, it is a matter of international politics. He graduated physical therapy at Humboldt University and even though the requirements are tougher and the schooling is more comprehensive than the US ( he has done internships in German hospitals for PT), the US physical therapy license requires he has to study all over again in a US university...a bit of a frustrating situation. Imagine if you had an excellent degree in PT and was asked to start all over again.
                                I am not going to elaborate further. Just go see him and ask about an inury you may have. You decide for yourself.
                                I fully understand the politics behind it, believe me. And I believe that Germany may have tougher standards for the medical profession (Germany tends to be cutting edge in the medical field).

However, I'm more concerned about the legal ramifications as well as my inability to actually verify that he has a German medical degree. If he is actually giving out medical advice and treating people, he may be breaking the law if he is not properly licensed in the state of Florida, regardless of his qualifications in Germany. Don't take that as an accusation, I have no clue. But it is concerning.

And quite frankly, I wouldn't ask him about an injury because he isn't licensed under the state to give me any advice. He may be very skilled in his field, but how the hell do I know if I can't confirm his qualifications? Do you have objective, third-party verification of his qualifications?

You must understand that one tactic that many martial arts scammers use is offering up "qualifications" that cannot be confirmed. Like, "oh, his fights were all illegal, backroom Japanese duels to the death, so there are no fight records." Overseas degrees are also commonly used for that very reason: they often can't be confirmed.

This is a great discussion, because I try to evaluate martial arts instructors like I would a doctor. They'd better have a damn good paper trail showing rock-solid qualifications.

Would you undergo a root canal from a guy who says he studied in Germany but isn't licensed in your own state?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X