No announcement yet.

Anyone hear of I Shin in South Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Solowarrior, some other questions that have come up (if you haven't yet check all the posts in this thread) are:

Originally posted by wingchundo

1) Do you guys spar?

2) Has he ever discussed his fight record in detail, outlining which organizations he fought under?

3) Do you do katas?

4) Has he ever discussed who awarded his various belts?

Again, thank you very much. Please don't think I'm criticizing your sifu, I'm just trying to make sure a colleague isn't getting hosed.
    Do you know under what organizations he (Shihan) fought? Was it karate? Full contact? That's great that he competed, but it would be nice to have more details.

That is good. An open and honest instructor is excellent. Do you have any information under whom he received his certifications?
    Originally posted by El Neko
    How long does it usually take the average person to advance to the next belt/level? what are some of the requirements to do so?

Also I would like to know if you guys spar, and under what rules (full contact, semi contact, no contact)? and if you don't usually spar, I would like to know why?
    Originally posted by Phrost
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Yes. You are making the pilgrimage to ISHIN. We can only show you the door, you have to walk through it.
      Welcome! Have fun guys and girls. Please let us know how you did? Hopefully it won't be too hard on you at first and you will return again.

Comment

OK, this goes to each and everyone of the I-Shin people, the questions posted are being asked to all of you, if any of you could answer them, it would be appreciated, thanks.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.

Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Originally posted by student4lifenyc
          Yes. You are making the pilgrimage to ISHIN. We can only show you the door, you have to walk through it.
          Welcome! Have fun guys and girls. Please let us know how you did? Hopefully it won't be too hard on you at first and you will return again.
          Some of us are going to participate, and others are simply going to watch. No more no less.

And I'd like to hear answers to Neko's questions rather than inuendos on whether the art in question is/will be too hard on us or not. Thanks.
          Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

This isn't directed necessarily at the students posting as I do appreciate them participating on this forum. But........

This quasi-philosophical crap is really annoying when people purport to respond to questions about their art. "Pilgrimage?" "We can only show you the door, you have to walk through it?"

Ugh. Makes me want to gag.

Here's how it progresses:

Q: I have questions about your art... plz anser!kthnx

A: The frog knows not that the lily he lands upon is stable ere his feet strikes the pad.

Q: OMGWTF!?!!1eleven

A: Enter our hallowed dojo and see if you can handle the mighty typhoon!

Q: I had a simple question or two that should be easy to answer...

A: The mighty typhoon will uproot the mightiest tree! Yet the cunning ant is steadfast.

Q: Never fucking mind Kwai Chang Caine.
            Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

I know someone who won't be invited to our next Tequila Night! :tongue3:

Patience, grasshopper. Solowarrior is one of Shihan's senior students here in the States, so now you'll just have to wait until he logs back in to get all of your nitty-gritty details.

Comment

Hehe, glad you guys have a sense of humor about it. You've gotta admit, it's kinda pretentious.

Some of the postings are also a bit insulting by insinuating that some of us might not be up to the physical task of participating. I'm not in the best shape and I'm a little round in the gut (it's not a six-pack, it's a keg), but most of us on here are used to brutal warmups and hour-plus fight sessions.
                Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

wendyful, Diana, student4lifenyc,

What would stop you from giving an answer to some of Neko's and winchungdo questions? These are quite simple ones that do not require mastery or approval from your instructor (or so one would hope so.)

Seriously, there is no trickery from our part in asking these questions - it's just standard process that we follow with anyone. Neko quoted wcdo's questions, which I'm going to do here, onc again:

Originally posted by winchungdo
                  1) Do you guys spar?

2) Has he ever discussed his fight record in detail, outlining which organizations he fought under?

3) Do you do katas?

4) Has he ever discussed who awarded his various belts?

Again, thank you very much. Please don't think I'm criticizing your sifu, I'm just trying to make sure a colleague isn't getting hosed.
                  These four questions are pretty simple, which you, student4lifenyc and Diana should be able to answer and/or give your personal opinion. A simple YES/NO followed by a couple of words (.ie. 'it is like this', 'I believe it is like this' or 'I don't know').

Now, let's take a look at Neko's question (which I'm going to label #5).

How long does it usually take the average person to advance to the next belt/level? what are some of the requirements to do so?
                  This is another one in which any of you three can answer while Solowarrior comes back to the thread.

If you guys are unable to do so, why would you then bother to provide an opinion on Mr. Hartman's system? I would never volunteer to provide a favorable OR unfavorable opinion of a system or instructor if I don't feel myself qualified to answer these such simple questions by myself.

This is not a jab at your or an attack. It is simply an observation done through a process we usually want to objectively follow here for everything and everybody.
                  Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Hehe, glad you guys have a sense of humor about it. You've gotta admit, it's kinda pretentious.

Some of the postings are also a bit insulting by insinuating that some of us might not be up to the physical task of participating. I'm not in the best shape and I'm a little round in the gut (it's not a six-pack, it's a keg), but most of us on here are used to brutal warmups and hour-plus fight sessions.
                    I also have to echo this sentiment. For example, Neko has broken his arm during practice. Anthony has gone over with back injuries, wingchundo has had his also IIRC. Myself have a neck and back injury and a fracture in the right hand (with X-rays to show.) It's not like we don't know what hard training is like, spending our time chatting on the latest gossip while getting our hairs and nails done.

At least for me, I don't pretent to be an expert ass kicker, but hell, don't assume I don't know what hard training is like.

Anyways, wendy/Diana/student4lifenyc/Solo, let's leave it as a case of missunderstanding each other for the sake of mutual get-to-know each other, and please be kind to answer the simple questions summarized in the post above this one.
                    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/22/2008 2:48pm, .

Comment

Oh Macho, you, Philistine you... Why am I #5?

No, but in a serious note, what is getting to my nerves is the fact that everytime I direct the question to one individual, this individual bows out or dissapears and then some other one comes up and doesn't seem to notice the questions (or doesn't believe are directed at them too) and we have to start all over again.

I just want to have an idea of what are they about before I go to the class. Oh well, I just hope that the Shihan is more open than this because otherwise is gonna be a long freakin' night

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Originally posted by Teh El Macho
                        I also have to echo this sentiment. For example, Neko has broken his arm during practice. Anthony has gone over with back injuries, wingchundo has had his also IIRC. Myself have a neck and back injury and a fracture in the right hand (with X-rays to show.) It's not like we don't know what hard training is like, spending our time chatting on the latest gossip while getting our hairs and nails done.
                        I don't care as much about this, I'm sure Ant has had very hard days of practice when trainning for Rudy (just to name one example), I know how hard you trained (up until the injury was confirmed), and I assume that most of the people in this conversation has had hard days of practice (base on their background arts).

I'm the first one to admit that I'm super out of shape and my gas tank is very small, however, I also know that at my lowest and gasping for air, I can still throw somebody over my head without thinking much of it, so no point on getting offended by somebody assuming that their classes are the hardest, they're most likely not trying to insult us, or even intimidate us, is simply what they've been hearing about their art, and is the way they know how to transmit those ideas.

No harm, no fault man, we will see the class next week

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Yeah, fair enough... #5 :tongue3:

Comment

Oh Macho, you, Philistine you... Why am I #5?
                            See?? Philistines just put you down to #5 because they can. :icon_wink

I'm not trying to dissemble or not answer. I did answer all of them, and like I said, I am probably the biggest computer nerd (out of us all) who actually reads message boards more than once a day (okay who am I kidding, every couple of hours). The others apparently have real jobs and can't surf the Interweb. ;)

I don't think I answered the belt question though. That varies by the person obviously. Everyone works and may not be able to attend every class or even every week. Solo is a brown belt, and he's been training ~5 years with Shihan. Does that help? Maybe 1-2 a year?

And the reason we were warning you about the toughness is just that we've seen so many people leave because of it. I was NOT assuming you guys are a bunch of (insert derogatory word here). If you aren't afraid of a hard workout and actually enjoy that, you'll be fine.

I'm sure we will all be honored when you attend (not being sarcastic although it seems to read that way). And, you can probably ask Shihan all the questions you want to after class.

Comment

I'll try to see if I can get one of our Black Belts to come. He just got it last night, actually.
                              Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                              "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Originally posted by Pandinha
                                I'll try to see if I can get one of our Black Belts to come. He just got it last night, actually.
                                Congrats to him!

I've been remiss in asking in which styles you all partake.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X