No announcement yet.

Anyone hear of I Shin in South Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Sometimes, however mostly we do partners workout. I-Shin isn't about training for competitions. It's training for real life (street-fighting situations) using bare hands and feet, like kyokushinkai.

2) Yes. He fought quite a bit in Europe and is very well respected over there. His students in Germany are still begging him to come back.

3) Yes.

4) Yes, he is very open to talking about his training.

I admire your dedication to your friend. I can go on & on about how mind-blowing he is, but the best way for you and your friend to learn that is to see for yourselves in person. Shihan Bernie is the real deal!

Comment

Kyokushinkai has competitions. Also, there is nothing stopping training for real life and competing or training for competitions with skills that carry over in real life. These are not mutually exclusive.

Also, it is not required for an art to compete or to hold competitions to produce skills that are relevant in self-defense. All that is required is that training is realistic.
      Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/21/2008 3:37pm, .
      Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

I meant the bare hands & feet part not the competition part obviously. :new_silly

You can be a philistine and try to denigrate me (and him) or you can be courteous and respect that his students are coming here to answer your questions.

Like I said, we all think he is absolutely amazing. Come meet him and make up your own mind. Or don't.

One last comment to the original poster about Shihan is that he is fantastic with all ages and both sexes.

Comment

Originally posted by wendyful
          I meant the bare hands & feet part not the competition part obviously. :new_silly

You can be a philistine and try to denigrate me (and him) or you can be courteous and respect that his students are coming here to answer your questions.

Like I said, we all think he is absolutely amazing. Come meet him and make up your own mind. Or don't.

One last comment to the original poster about Shihan is that he is fantastic with all ages and both sexes.
          Please point out where I was being a philistine trying to denigrate you. Thanks.
          Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Oh man, sport vs reality again, who is going to this dojo and when? I would like to tag along to see this class
            Originally posted by Phrost
            Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
            There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
            2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
            The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
            Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
            Get with the times and punch a chick.
            Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Originally posted by wingchundo
            Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Wendyful: thank you so much for the response. If you don't mind, I have a few follow-up questions.

1) Sometimes, however mostly we do partners workout. I-Shin isn't about training for competitions. It's training for real life (street-fighting situations) using bare hands and feet, like kyokushinkai.
              You must realize that most people on Bullshido believe that you are not training for real life if you are not sparring. How do you know a technique works if you don't try it out in a fight situation?

2) Yes. He fought quite a bit in Europe and is very well respected over there. His students in Germany are still begging him to come back.
              Do you know under what organizations he fought? Was it karate? Full contact? That's great that he competed, but it would be nice to have more details.

3) Yes.
              You'll find most people on here aren't too friendly to katas, but many find them useful, as long as that is not all you do.

4) Yes, he is very open to talking about his training.
              That is good. An open and honest instructor is excellent. Do you have any information under whom he received his certifications?

I admire your dedication to your friend. I can go on & on about how mind-blowing he is, but the best way for you and your friend to learn that is to see for yourselves in person. Shihan Bernie is the real deal!
              Great, I may just do that, I don't live too far from Delray.

Thank you again.
              Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

Teh El Macho, I apologize for my remarks. I read your post (and perhaps jumped to an unsavory conclusion) before you edited it.

Wingchundo, how can one describe beauty for another? You must see for yourself and make up your own mind if Shihan's style is to your taste. I will say that the only people who left his tutelage did so because it was too harsh for them. He is most definitely not a belt-factory, so stay away if you seek some type of external immediate gratification.

I'm sure he told me for whom he fought, but I don't always pay attention to those kinds of details. It is enough for me to see his skill. Again, if you are interested, come and meet him and ask. He's certainly not shy. ;)

Comment

Wingchundo, how can one describe beauty for another?
                  Ok, this quote is just creepy. Please tell me it isn't a cult.

I'm asking very specific questions about his background that should be pretty easy to answer. I knew pretty quickly where my instructor trained (Sao Paolo under Moises Muradi) and where he got his belts. I could also easily verify his competitions (Pan Am results are all over the 'net).

I will say that the only people who left his tutelage did so because it was too harsh for them.
                  Please explain, I'm not sure what this means, especially if hard sparring isn't a regular part of training.

He is most definitely not a belt-factory, so stay away if you seek some type of external immediate gratification.
                  Excellent, I'm glad to hear it. Props to your instructor for being a discerning promoter.

Two other questions: is this an isshinryu-based style? And do you train any groundfighting/grappling?

Thanks again and I may actually pop up there to visit.
                  Last edited by wingchundo; 4/21/2008 7:37pm, .

Comment

Wingchundo, how can one describe beauty for another? You must see for yourself and make up your own mind if Shihan's style is to your taste.
                    It is precisely this kind of cheesy shit that makes me cringe, what do you mean about "Beauty"? what exactly makes him so incredibly awesome?

I will say that the only people who left his tutelage did so because it was too harsh for them.
                    Is this according to him, or is it a direct quote from one of his ex students? on the same note, that line about not sparring:

I-Shin isn't about training for competitions. It's training for real life
                    is it your own (base on your experience) or a party line given to you by the school or the "Shihan", also, what is your previous experience in martial arts if any?

He is most definitely not a belt-factory, so stay away if you seek some type of external immediate gratification.
                    Good for him, How long does it usually take the average person to advance to the next belt/level? what are some of the requirements to do so?

I'm sure he told me for whom he fought, but I don't always pay attention to those kinds of details. It is enough for me to see his skill. Again, if you are interested, come and meet him and ask. He's certainly not shy. ;)
                    wendyful, don't get me the wrong, certainly I'm bias base on what is on the table, I might be wrong and I-Shin might be a good system, I'm certainly gonna reserve my final opinion until after watching at least one class, but it simply looks way too much like many other styles of "non-sparring/we're trainning for the str33t and for r34lz not for sport" that we have encounter many times beforebefore, so I'm a little on the skeptical here.

On a more personal question, what is your personal opinion of sport vs street and pros and cons of full contact sparring?

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.

Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Wendyful. Would it be alright if some of us local bullshido members come to your school to paricipate?

We would be respectful, and follow school rules.
                      Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                      "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Originally posted by Pandinha
                        Wendyful. Would it be alright if some of us local bullshido members come to your school to paricipate?

We would be respectful, and follow school rules.
                        as usual, I'll bring the camera :waoya

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

El Neko, Wingchundo - We don't need to bother her with any more questions right now. it was nice enough of her to come here and talk in the first place. Sometime in the next month or so I'm gonna go by in person, so let's postpone this until then. You're both in the area, either of you want to join me?
                          "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
                          And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Yes, Pandinha, I got ahold of the guy originally and he invited me/us to come by and train with them. Let me know when you wanna do it.
                            "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
                            And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

I'm local and train at american top team. Neko trains boca judo.
                              Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                              "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

I was training BJJ in Tamarac, but I'm on hiatus for a bit. I could probably tag along as well.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X