No announcement yet.

Anyone hear of I Shin in South Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great, glad to hear that. It sounded to me like it was similar to Kyokushin, so that's good to hear. Agree that the non-sparring is a bit disappointing, but whatever.

I appreciate you guys going there to check it out, I feel a little better about my colleague training there now.

Look forward to hearing more.
    Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

You know, we totally forgot the godamn camera! I dunno how it happened.
      I'll tell you guys- I've cross trained at a bunch of different types of schools and I'll tell you I was pretty impressed by a few things. Started with 100 pushups, that was good. Bone conditioning at the end (with a rolling pin) a very nice touch. He constantly encouraged them to resist more and not assist their partner as well and you don't see that enough in other schools. Alot of things, really.

Mainly impressed by bernie. He's in great shape, as hard as a rock, and when you square up with him you can tell he is clearly not a man used to just tossing around his novice students. I like how whenever his students went through an excersie with him, they always tried to resist the technique like they are used to regularly training this way. Also, he has the distinguishing eye of a seasoned veteran, and really seems to understand the nuances of hand to hand combat.

He let me, a guy he didn't have any reason to trust, to try and punch him in the face during a drill. This is admittedly easier when you know what strike your opponent is gonna throw, but even still. A real bullshido instructor would have gotten hit right in the nose if they even attempted it, and they probably wouldnt have tried. He seemed very comfortable doing so. I caught him a little bit one of the times, but it's amazing I didn't hit him more because I'm pretty frickin fast.

I-shin appears to be a very comprehinsive fighting system integrating many different martial arts and all in all, there wasn't enough to judge the whole system from that one class. There is more stuff they could've done, like striking in combos to the pads and doing full or high-resistance excercises against one another for longer, but he might well do all that stuff too on other days. The things I did pick up on - little subtle changes to normal low-kick blocks and they way he teaches his students to throw a punch - are superb, and really seem to show the experience of a man acclimated to bare knuckle fighting. Of course I can't say for sure he has had the number of fights he says, how could I? But he's definetely fought, probably fought very hard, and I have no reason to doubt him.

I agree, they should spar to properly test their abilities. I'm sure when he was younger he would've had them, but as he explained to me he is training them for health and self defense, not competition, and I guess he just kinda fell out of the loop with it. He has invited me to go back and train whenever I am in the area, so I am going to take him up on it, and organize to come up once a month and on that day we can all spar. Problem solved. (kinda). I hope they come to the throwdown. It's this saturday at ATT, for those who don't know.

In summation: I had a alot of fun. Wingchundo, this is a good school for your friend, and I will reccomend people in the area to go check it out as well.
      "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Originally posted by Squerlli
      And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Originally posted by BudoMonkey
        Mainly impressed by bernie.

In summation: I had a alot of fun. Wingchundo, this is a good school for your friend, and I will reccomend people in the area to go check it out as well.
        Is there where I get to say I told you so? Just checking. :icon_sunn

I'm glad you were able to come by and check it out. Shihan enjoyed it.

Comment

Lol wendy. There is something really smart Voltaire once said: Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Anyways, I had a good time. I take it you are Melanie? Or the other woman who came in and watched class?
          "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry motherfucker... Budo monkeh.

Comment

Nice write-up. And in keeping with the bullies's tradition, you pple forgot a camera :P - Don't feel bad. I once went with my camera just to find out I forgot the flashcards for it :P
            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Nice quote :)

I'm neither as I wasn't there last night.

Comment

Originally posted by wendyful
                Is there where I get to say I told you so? Just checking. :icon_sunn

I'm glad you were able to come by and check it out. Shihan enjoyed it.
                Not to disagree with Budomonkey (as a matter of fact, I agree on many points), but I will only recomend this school if the goal of the person is conditioning over anything else related to martial arts, I agree that Bernie has good skills, but the lack of sparring makes it hard to get certain points across, and considering other schools in the area (ki-itsu sai, American Top Team, Tomodachi Judo Club), there are options where you can get both good trainning (as in Bernie's), and an arena where you can practice what you're learning (sparring).

I mean this with no disrespect whatsoever, as a matter of fact, I mightr bring my wife to the class, but it would be because it has a high level of conditioning.

This was a pleasant experience because normally this cases end up being a guy full of hot air, in Bernie's case, I actually enjoy the class (even though I didn't get to participate much), so I hope to keep a good relationship with that dojo, and I hope to see some of them in our Throwdowns.

Macho, in reality I was thinking about not bringing the camera at all because Bernie requested that there will be no pictures or video, I was hoping that now that he knows that we are not "out to get him/insult him" he would let us use the camera next time around
                Originally posted by Phrost
                Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
                There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
                2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
                The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
                Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
                Get with the times and punch a chick.
                Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Originally posted by wingchundo
                Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Sorry I missed it guys, with lack of sparring, I wouldn't have enjoyed it much.

Btw, there is no Open Mat this Saturday at American Top Team. We are having an inhouse competition, where everyone is invited to watch. It's in memory of one of our Black Belts who passed away in March.
                  Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                  "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Originally posted by Pandinha
                    It's in memory of one of our Black Belts who passed away in March.
                    Sorry to hear that. :(

And if sparring/competing is your sole/major motivation, then yeah this school probably isn't for you.

Hey Wingchundo, if you guys are so into ATT, how come your friend didn't want to go there? Isn't there one in Boca on Federal? Just curious, and I'm sure we'll be glad to have your friend at our school.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend, Anthony. Good luck in the competition.

Comment

Wendy:

It's a colleague who I know, but I'm not close friends with. You have to realize that ATT is also prohibitively expensive for most of us as well. Beautiful training facility, top-notch instructors and top-notch tuition to go along with it.

If I could afford it, I'd train there.
                        Official member of the Bruce Buffer 360 War Wagon

Comment

How much is it (if it's not too rude to ask)?

Comment

And if sparring/competing is your sole/major motivation, then yeah this school probably isn't for you.

Sparring is a great part of martial arts, even if competition is not your main goal, it will teach you timing, special awareness (distance, positioning, etc.) and it will polish your technique to the point where you can do it properly against somebody who is actively resisting.

Hey Wingchundo, if you guys are so into ATT, how come your friend didn't want to go there? Isn't there one in Boca on Federal? Just curious, and I'm sure we'll be glad to have your friend at our school.

I believe Pandhina can answer this more clearly, however, I was also curious (and I forgot to ask last night) what are the cost and fees of training in I-Shin?
                            Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
                            There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
                            2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
                            The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw
                            Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
                            Get with the times and punch a chick.
                            Wingchundo's response after I called him a "pussy"

Originally posted by wingchundo
                            Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Comment

Ah yes.... You guys stopped by and tried it. Your experience was well documented. I am sure you guys have a better understanding of Bernie. I also saw Fred Mergen making comments. He too is also a great instructor. Sup Fred.
                              I am glad that you guys found out that I-Shin is a wonderful experience for all to enjoy. I miss the rollong pins. I have my own rolling pin at home, but it is not the same.
                              I had my best years training in Florida.
                              It did upset me to hear some of the comments.
                              Fred Mergen had a quote he would recite:
                              To hear is to doubt,
                              To see is to be deceived,
                              but to feel is to believe,

Do you guys feel the rolling pins talking to you? Do you?
                              I like the reviews of the school, perhaps the constant craving for sparring may entice Bernie to allow it. How much would it cost to put a ring into the gym? I would send money monthly to help build it if Roman would allow it.

Respectfully signing off,

Winston Lipton

Comment

I don't know what the fees are now, but I pay $120.00 month for unlimited BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Boxing, and MMA.
                                Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                                "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X