• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What DO you teach a woman?

In a self-defense course anyways?
    (Someone not training MA)

I must admit, I'm not the average thug.
    I have some takedowns and some combat experiance, so I can easily handle a smaller, weaker opponent.
    :rolleyes:

I don't really know what to show a person if asked for self-defense.
    If I ever show anything I'll show how hard and fast I can do it to simulate real life situations.
    I've been asked how to deal with a rear bear hug among other things. And I had trouble explaining all the variables.
    It doesn't seem to be able to be done in any short amount of time.

And I consider myself a decent teacher, provided the student wants to learn.

In your opinion what techniques, other than situational perception and avoidance, do you teach?

Insert discussion below.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Show them how to put their thumb in an attackers eye and squeeze it out...
    "Pussyhole"

Comment

I'd go with one or two simple punches and groundfighting of some variety. In most self defense situations for women, the attacker is liekly to be bigger and stronger, so being able to fight on the ground is probably the most important skill to have.

Comment

Halogen has slammed dunked the truth.

Really Piz, I went that route once. What works for me, might not work for you, and for anyone else. That's why I do the please check this school out. They know better.

I would never want someone getting hurt on my conscience because I taught them something wrong, or gave them a false sense of security.
        Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
        "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

If you're a woman and you go to the ground...you've already lost.

Groundfighting is not the most important...not getting to the ground is the most important.

Comment

First and foremost that her only thoughts should be of escape, thinking she will pound on him is asking for him to hurt her more and still get what he wants...

Next and almost equally importnat -- Awareness... To be actively aware of their surroundings and the dangers...

Psychology - training the mind set of the attacker and the mind set the woman will need to survive - training her to override the panic and fear

Biomechanics - How her body works and why women are inherantly smaller and weaker and how even with training that is a very difficult thing to over come.

and then you have STARTED to teach her self defense

Comment

I always mention this page if I can, it has some good stuff imo.
              http://www.protectivestrategies.com/articles.html

Additionally, as the good reality oriented teacher I am, I tell them the truth.
              The person attacking will have advantages: surprise, strength, size, possible weapon, possible multiple attackers, etc. Reality sucks.
              Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Comment

Originally posted by Amp
                If you're a woman and you go to the ground...you've already lost.

Groundfighting is not the most important...not getting to the ground is the most important.
                Dear Amp, I have not had a girl or woman (and a lot of guys) stop my takedowns. However as unprofessional as they were, my takedowns will eventually work. The smaller, weaker person is not going to stop my takedowns.

Yes, anti-takedowns, but little imo.
                More of what to do when on the ground and how to get back up.

Comment

I think a woman's natural reaction to claw, bite, slap and kick may be more effective in MOST circumstances compared to punching (with long nails and small bone structure). Keep in mind that in most cases the attacker is more intent on robbery, rape, etc than knocking her out or pulling an arm-bar.

That being said, I've seen trained women that can hand most guy's asses on a platter. Among them was a girl from our school (that I did not train so no firsthand experience) and the women's San Da team in Shanghai (no ground fighting but they pack a hard punch and a hard kick and have footwork and speed like you won't believe - and can throw a person on his head!). However, all of these women trained hard for a long time (the San Da team being professional). It isn't something that can be learnt in a seminar.

For the most part of what I've seen from seminars is really what Anthony is getting at. False sense of security. Which sucks cuz instead of just running or doing what is natural, they try to throw a palm strike (that misses) or a punch (that barely bruises). I think most girls (and guys for that matter) don't really need to train to know to kick someone in the nadz but the truth is that kicking someone in the nadz isn't always that effective. A lot of people would have you believe that a girl that weighs 105lbs can somehow keep a 200lb man off of them with simple techniques. Most guys at 180lbs would have a hard time doing that. If the attacker is trained in anything, from football to BJJ, then you are in for a real mess.

As far as what to teach them? Depends on their level of commitment. If they want to train, and clip their nails, then teach them the real stuff. If they want a quick fix, give them the truth - you ain't got much of a chance so run, scream, bite, claw, kick. Same thing for guys. I got friends that are like "teach me a few moves man!" and i just laugh at them. A basic one-two combo ain't gonna do squat unless he hit the pads and can land it clean, fast and hard = time in the gym.

That's my two cents.

Iron-Buddha
                  Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

As far as pro-active prevention techniques, those are all good. I'm talking more about the actual physical confrontation - as in, you didn't tie your hair up in a pony-tail, you walked with confidence but he's still coming at you.
                    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Comment

I'm so tired of this garbage. LEARN.
                      Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

"I would never want someone getting hurt on my conscience because I taught them something wrong, or gave them a false sense of security."

most people walk arund with a false sense of security, if you have the oppertunity to help replace that with reality then you might want to try, but yea always emphasize that your word isnt final and reccomend some other ppl to consult on the subject.

"I'm so tired of this garbage. LEARN."

there is no way you can be sure you will stay upright so groundfighting is important but dont take it as given you will end up on the ground, i am tired of hearing that takedown counters will work 0% of the time while takedowns will work 100% because that is bullshit, and you do want to be concentrating in staying off the ground, especially if your opponent is that much bigger and stronger than you. Its stupid to ignore groundwork because you will never be on the ground, but its equally stupid to ignore takedown defense because they are moves blessed in battle by the gracie gods and therefore invincible.
                        CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

Piz :

I think that the Primary and Essential Lesson that you can give a woman is that "Counter Fighting" is just as silly an Idea as "Counter Grappling" - the second youre being fought AGAINST , then you are IN a FIGHT . Teach them that what they need is a Certain amount of Skill , and tell them that it will take them a couple of years to get . Then ask them if they like their Lives , their Belongings , and their Orifices in Tact enough to Invest the Time and Energy needed to defend them .

Teach them that if they feel like they need to be able to be Safe , then Safetey - REAL Safetey - comes with an Investment that they need to pay into to get their Return . Explain that it is a Skillset , just like their Job , or Hobby , and that it takes some learning , or anyone would have their Jobs .

Then Manhandle them and scare the PISS out of them if that dosent work .

But no , seriously I think fact that there IS NO line between "Self Defense" and "Fighting" , even though some poeople would have you BELIEVE That theyre is is the First , and MOST Important Lesson , and the Second is that fighting a person bigger than you takes Fighting Skill .

Comment

My knowledge on this subject is extremely limited, but here is what i would do in a self defence course:

first i would go over some basic predator/prey psychology.

Look at the mindset of the typical mugger rapist or the like. He is by defanition a predator, therefore he will only attack a target that he assesses as weak or off guard. This is a major problem for you because at the time you are attacked you will almost definately not be at full capacity (tired, sick, looking the other way etc.), you will in some way be in an inferior position. From this perspective we see that the predator not only starts the confrontation with a physical advantage but also a significant psychological one. Therefore it is nessecary to remain as cool and collected as possible, do not panic, do not get angry, immediately respond with the most effective defence you know in a controlled manour. This shows the aggressor that you are in control of yourself, it might even give you a mental edge because he wasnt expecting a calm and apparently well thought out resistance, the fight is no longer so much on his terms so to speak.

Now as for the physical side of combat i think that it would be important to teach counters to the majority of basic grabs (especially the hair grab) have them use it with a resisting opponent and encourage them to drill it regularly (lets leave aliveness and traditional vs modern methods out of this, they arnt training to fight MMA, whatever is simplest is best). I think that strikes should be fairly limited, especially kicks as they can sacrifice balance, maybe a few gouges and the like. I would encourage testicle crushing over kneeing or kicking to the genitals because as i said above you dont want to sacrifice balance. The typical Attacker wont know how to shoot or take down in any but the sloppiest of manners (and lest face it, if they do then someone who doesnt do MA or fight alot is going to be in trouble no matter what they know) so maybe just some basic balance excersises too. For groundwork i think it should mainly consist of them learning to counter side control and mount (its pretty safe to assume the guy will be taking a dominant position).

And of course finally, always wear shoes you can run in and make sure you are in the shape to run at least a short distance, probably the best defence of all.
                            CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

Simple. Teach them moves. Have them fight men vale tudo. If they can beat less experienced but larger men when they're going all out then you've got your self defense.

Without a man ACTUALLY using his strength to try to hit/throw/choke the woman FOR REAL it's just bunk. Not a guy in a suit playing a role, being told what the techniques "should" do, but actual male aggresion.

"The only important elements in any society
                              are the artistic and the criminal,
                              because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                              can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X