Fundamentals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fundamentals

What would you consider the "Fundamentals" (or foundation)of martial arts? Those basic items which translate well into any martial art. In another thread I was told that my children would have a crappy foundation in martial arts in our current school and that it could hurt them if they wished to study something different in the future.

My thoughts:

Proper attitude and respect for others.

Stretching, basic warmup type exercises

Punches & kicks -- proper technique, power from the hips, etc...

Please add...
    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

By the very definition of the word, Martial arts, must be oriented towards fighting.
    You MUST be able to grapple, to strike and to use blunt and edged weapons, even firearms if you are so inclined.
    The spiritual and moral ethics are secondary, but there nevertheless.
    MA teach a rather aggressive mind set, survival being the key, as such the mental attitude is one that may not be what everyone is looking for.
    Sport Arts are probably what you are looking for, especially for the kids.

Comment

Whoa, there...

Originally posted by ronin69

The spiritual and moral ethics are secondary, but there nevertheless.
      Whoa, gotta step in here. Ronin made some very good points, but I have to disagree with this one. I think the moral / ethical obligations of the arts should come first. Or if not first, a second so close to first that they're inseperable. Knowing how lethal some of our skills are, should we not seek to avoid combat where possible, and only use as much force as is required?

If you have the power to kill, can you accept the responsibility for using it? I think this should be a major part of any MA training which teaches these techniques.

Happy to start a separate thread on this, if you like.

Comment

I was refering to MARTIAL arts, you will agree that the original combat arts, morals were secondary to survival.

Comment

If you want ethics, go to church.

I would ***hate*** to have martial arts instructors to infringe upon my territory as a parent, and teach "ethics" to my children. In fact, I would NEVER allow something like that.

If I send my child to a martial arts school, I want them to be taught how to fight. Things like respect and humility are valuable, and ocme as a natural byproduct of fighting and competing.

Everything else is my job.
          You say what about my rice?

Comment

Agreed, although I do think that if ANYONE is being taught potentially dangerous techniques, there has to be responsibilty for ones actions to think off, the actions not only of the student, but the teacher that taught him/her.

Comment

I have to agree with Ronnin. You definatly dont want a serial killer or something to learn how to kill and maim other more effectively.
              After moral and responsiblities I say real self defense (grappling, striking and weopon defeses).
              Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Sounds like Ronin and I are on the same page. Thanks, Ronin.

HAPKO3, while I agree that it's up to the parent to teach their children to be ethical and moral young citizens, I have seen a lot of people who were taught fighting without the ethical aspects become at best, poor competitors, and bullies at worst. The reason is that they started to get into the whole "Might is Right" thing, and in their fervor to be great fighters, failed to realise they were losing respect for others, especially non-fighters.

My teacher teaches martial arts to those in his class, during class time. However, he also teaches (by example, not lecture) to be a respectful, courteous person, in and out of class. And those students who don't pick up on that, and pick up an attitude instead, find themselves without a MA teacher, real fast. So there is some responsibility on the part of the teacher not just to produce physically and mentall healthy martial artists, but to keep out of trouble as well.

Comment

I don't think one can TEACH someone to be respectuff per se, regardless of whether it is by lecture or by example.

This is why I think that the sprot aspect of martial arts is so important, expecially to children. Real competition teaches respect and humility better than any ammount of lecturing or teaching by example.

THis is why I would advocate taking kids to sambo, judo, or bjj. The sports aspect of the art will teach proper attitude in addition to actual fighting skills that will forever be a good base to whatever martial arts, if any, they chose to practice down the road.

Beyond that, it is MY job as a parent to teach my kids whatever ethics I want to.

Comment

Yep, for sure.

Comment

what was this thread about?

Comment

Fundamentals? I see no discussion of fundamentals....

1. Physical fitness
                        2. Mental preparedness
                        3. Tactical awareness
                        4. Versatility
                        5. A coherent strategic picture
                        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Fundamentals, Foundation. What are some requirements which translate into any style of MA. (sport or survival). Think, those things you would want a beginner to learn/prove first.
                          People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Comment

The question you are asking is too general.

If I was sending my kids to a martial arts school, I would want them to get three major things out of it.

1. Real and applicable self defence skills. This is something that most places don't teack. Especially in their kids classes.
                            2. The respect and humility that comes from competition and sportsmanship. Respect CAN NOT be instilled by silly Karate teachers preaching to them about The Way, or some bullshit like that. Respect comes from working your ass off, and winning and getting beaten in competition by other kids who are also working their ass off. That brings fourth friendship, comradery, and humility.
                            3. Physical fitness, which is self explanatory.

There are also some things that I definitly DO NOT WANT.
                            1. I don't want my kids brainwashed into some single correct way to live and think. As I said above, teching them ethics is my job as a parent. Entierly too many kids programs go way the hell out of the scope of martial arts by making the students bring in their report cards from school, etc. etc. And definitly no pseudo eastern quasi religeous shit.
                            2. I don't want them to have dangereous misconceptions about what they are and are not capable of. The only way I know of to avoid that is sports competition.
                            3. And I probably wouldn't want them to be too banged up rght away.

This is why I would start them off with a sport grappling art like judo, sambo, or bjj. If there is a good sambo school, I would go with that, just because I am Russian, and think it would be cool for my kids to do a Russian martial art. But these arts satisfy all of my criteria. Just about all other ones don't .

Comment

What Hapko3 said.
                              Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X