Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Judging experience

So my wife and I enter this tournament.
    My wife is a yellow belt (7th gup) and she's fighting in the beginners division. She has to fight this Big white belt woman. She was taller than 6 ft, and my wife is 5-6. It was funny.
    It's a point fighting tournament; light body contact, no face contact.
    One ring ref and two corner judges. I'm yelling on the side, giving her tips, she get's clocked right in the eye. She goes back, and they never call contact, and yell at her saying "don't call your own fight" then they bitch me out for coaching. There was nothing in the rules about coaching, but ok.
    Then my divsion (2nd and 1st gup), same judges.
    This Blackbelt who I witness smoking about a pack of cigarettes durring the day, was coaching his students, and these judges didn't say a word. As a point of interest, I asked my instuctor about this guy, and he told me that he smokes while teaching his classes, including his kids classes.

In my first fight, I throw a hook kick, hitting a guy hard enough that I thought would get penalized. I get the point. I loose the fight on a BS call. He threw a round kick that I blocked, but the two judges behind me called it a point. (reason why there should be four corner judges). I see that all the time, back judges calling points they could never possibly see, so I am ok with that.

Next fight, I throw a round kick taping the guys head gaurd, literally tapping. They guy even began to congragulate me on the point when the fucking head judge call it contact and I loose the match. My wife had to stop fighting for a minute, and I get called contact for this shit?????

Other than just bitching to get this anger out of me....I just fucking hate loosing to bad officiating.

Wait...you LOST because you made contact?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

It was a point fighting tournement, light contact, no face contact. I didn't even hit the guys face.

Comment

If you get called for making contact when you didn't, perhaps making real contact on your next point will help them understand the difference.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of sport karate. :) It happens. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I lost my fight due to excessive contact that knocked my opponent out. Even though the guy came charging in and ran into my spin back kick, which I pulled. It was still my fault. I then saw a similar incident happen to one of my team mates, but they didn't call it on the other guy. Come to find out the promoter whose students were the "victim" and "perpatrator" in these two incidents has a hard-on against our school. This lead to the decisions in the matches. No biggie. We just sucked it up and moved on. It is the politics of it all.

Irony of it all? We had several of his students come up to our team asking if they would do private lessons in forms training and sparring. :) So there is some justice. :)

Point to the story? In this type of environment you will always have problems like this. You can either just learn how to deal with them or drop out of the sport altogether. That is just the cold hard truth of it. Sorry you got screwed though
          Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
          "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
          Originally posted by D.Murray
          "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
          Originally posted by hangooknamja88
          My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

Ah yes, I loved my sport karate phase :)
            My record? 2 wins and 5 DQ's !!!
            Oh well, one of the reasons I got into the kyokushin tournaments, at least you can go full contact to the body.
            I HATED point tournaments, in any form.
            The best one I ever went to was the KUBOTA cup here in the Toronto area.
            Semi-contact ( full contact to the body really and light to the face).
            But you always, at some pint and any sport, get reamed by the officals, look at boxing.

Comment

If you were vexed enough to post about your woes about point sparring then just give it up and don't ever compete in anything that stupid again.
              "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Man...*giggle*...*snicker*...You guys....*suppressed chortle*...You...uh....*loud guffaws*.

TKD is awesome. :)
                Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Unfortunately, that is just the nature of the beast...

It sucks and can really make you mad, but try to keep in mind that point sparring is only a drill, and not really worth all the worry. And biased judging happens everywhere in every sport. Just ask De La Hoya for his opinion, or the Gracie who's fight was called prematurely ealier this year or last year because the ref thought he tapped when he claims he didn't. ;)

Officiating isn't nearly as easy as you might imagine, though. I suggest you give it a try if you haven't before, it will give you not only a new perspective on officiating, but also help you develop strategy for point fighting when you see what the judges see.

Best of luck in future training and competition to you and your wife. Things balance out, and you will have plenty more chances to fight in the future.

Comment

Been there, done that. Early fight in the tournament, made light contact to the face. DQ! I believe I was an "example" to show how serious they were about "no contact to the face" I was P.O'd for awhile then got over it. What upset me more was the amount of facial contact that resulted in nothing or at most a "warning" in later fights in the tournament.
                    People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69

The best one I ever went to was the KUBOTA cup here in the Toronto area.
                      Semi-contact ( full contact to the body really and light to the face).
                      But you always, at some pint and any sport, get reamed by the officals, look at boxing.
                      Hehe, cool.
                      My old shotokan school, Japan Martial Arts, usually runs that tournament.
                      I learned under Kancho Takemasa Okuyama, he's a great teacher.

Edit: IKA tournaments in general are pretty cool about contact. I entered a tournament as a yellow belt, scored 3 really clean shots to the face where his head rocked back and his eyes teared up, and I only got one warning. I won the match 5-3, it should have been 8-1 though :( I have video proof!!
                      Last edited by Angry-Monkey; 11/05/2003 10:11am, .

Comment

How long have you been with Okuyama sensei?

Comment

I dont train shotokan anymore.
                          I trained at his school for a year, and then a year later I went back for two months to fight in a tournament. I visit every once in a while to say hi.

Comment

He is a great guy, I was with him for about a year back in '89.
                            I loved when Kubota would come up and do the demo with the hammer on his hand :)

Comment

Point sparring sucks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X