THE GUARD !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE GUARD !!!

I guess you're right, when you're up against much bigger, stronger people, they can make the guard a miserable position too, But just what are your options? Can you hold mount or side mount or any other top position against someone 80 pounds heavier (and stronger, and experienced)? Do you want to keep the fight standing and trade punches with them? Do you want to finish them with a throw??

My personal experiences: I can hold the guard against people somewhat bigger than me (I'm 180 pounds, the heaviest people I usually train with are around 210), and put a lot of pressure on less experienced players from my back. That's a lot better than having no offensive options from my back. Do I want to be on my back? Not necessarily. I DO prefer mount, but I don't always get it. Guard is something I get fairly consistently working my way back out of difficult situations, so I take it, work from it, and try to submit or improve my position.

As for the problem of pickups/ slams, I'm not sure what your options are. You might be able to switch to open guard, or go for a sweep as the other guy stands up, or go for some arm bar a la Royce Gracie vs Jason DeLucia. Maybe the more experienced people can give their opinion on what to do in that situation.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

The gaurd always works well for me. If someone is strong enough to pick you up you are in trouble unless you do something fast though.

I would only deliberatley go to my gaurd if I had no other way of getting someone down.
      "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
      YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

There are a few ways I have used to get out of being slammed while in the guard, but most of the guys I workout with are bouncers or cops or ex military so they are very strong and the only one I have been able to use ALWAYS on them is to hold on for dear life !!!!!!!

Comment

Grab his head and open guard.
          Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Has anyone ever been in the guard and gotten out by striking the legs?
            Namely elbowing them.
            One of the guys at the gym over the wekend did that, when he was in the guard, he just demolished the other guys legs with elbows to the inner thighs, inner hips, and it worked for him.
            Just courious if anyone had tried that themselves and how it worked for them, I am gonna try it out tonight if I can find a volunteer to get his legs pummelled :)

Comment

When ever I'm in someone's gaurd, I use my elbows to press down hard on the thighs and try and open it.

I don't know about hitting them with the elbows though, you need to try and stop the guy sitting up at the same time, or you could be swept.
              "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
              YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

I use the eblow to work in space so I can better set up a pass attempt. But I generally deal with the guard by making them open it and go for an leg lock.

If I am feeling really mean I will do a foreknuckle punch to the inner tigh. I don't know if it really hurts them or if it is the fact I hitting too close to the joy center they will open their gaurd everytime. (Note I only done this when horsing around.)
                ______
                Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Sure, using your elbows like that is a common tactic.

I think the most important thing to remember about the guard is to ALWAYS attack once you pull it. If you are constantly going to an Oma, armbar, choke, Kimura etc, the other guy will be pretty preoccupied. People think the guard is a defensive position, but in a pure BJJ setting, I would disagree.

On the other hand, I don't think it should be a preffered position either, since you can easily get your grill busted in any sort of striking competition, and that is what I train for.

Comment

Well, Roy the guy in the guard was doing everything he could to stop Kevin, the guy mutilating his thighs, but Kevin put his chin to his chest and went to town, Roy said his legs are still sore and bruised.
                    I am gonna give it a try today.

Comment

If someone starts hitting your legs, stop playing pure BJJ.
                      Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

"If someone starts hitting your legs, stop playing pure BJJ."

Expand on that if you may big guy.

Comment

Hit back. It's not like you see thigh-pounding working to any effect in any ring venues. Just pop-up, punch and sweep. There's a hip bump sweep that's perfect for this situation.

Not saying it can't work, just saying that there's always a tradeoff.

Comment

I use the guard for when I am taken down, in order to prevent mount. And I use it when I am up against someone bogger/stronger to keep from getting manhandled. Once in guard, it can be a very offensive postion, though.

So I see the guard as kind of being my "Ace in the hole". If I can takedown and get mount or side countrol I will. But even if my takedown fails, and/or the guy out powers me, I can still pull guard. And then (this is the great part) keep attacking. It is a position that helps you control your opponent and take away a lot of his ability to attack you, but at the same time it allows you to keep attacking him.

Regards,
                            Matt

Comment

Agreed Matt.
                              I have seen some guys turn the guard into a wait and see position, that never made much sense to me.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X