how much do you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much do you pay?

I started doing karate when I was 14, in 1996. When I started I was paying $250 per year, that included insurance, membership, affiliation and all of the other crap that there seems to be.
    For that money, I got 2, two hour classes, one on Tuesday and one on Thursday. There was also a Saturday class, that went for two hours. After three years, when I was a brown belt, I was allowed to attend the Monday night advanced class that went for an hour. So all up that was 7 hours training a week. The classes were held in a dojo, with hard wood floors, and with half of one wall covered in floor to ceiling mirror. My instructor was a fifth Dan who had been training in Goju for 25 years. The senior student had been training for 13 years and was a third Dan. They knew what they were doing.

My family decided to move country and when I started looking around for places I was shocked at the difference in price. There were karate schools that were charging 10-15 dollars per class, some had classes that only went for an hour, the Wing Chun place (whos training was actually the best I personally saw) wanted $2,000 a year + membership and insurance.

So the point of this thread was, I was wondering how much do you guys pay for your training, is it just messed up over here or was I just really lucky in New Zealand?

2000 bucks a year? holy crap, dude that's expensive. I am in Hawaii, which is considered to be a very high cost-of-living area of the united states. I only pay 60 bucks a month, though, and for that money I essentially get training limited only to the hours of the gym I attend. Sounds to me like you're getting scammed.

Comment

Different places charge different amounts. My school has multiple pricing structures to suit peoples needs. We have no long term contracts, you pay month by month. I have the most expensive program.

I pay $159 a month ($1908 per yer) for access to 5 group classes and one 30 min private lesson a week. The money covers the training for me and my girlfriend.

Our park and rec programs at local community centers run $40 a month for two 1hr classes.

There are other costs associated with training, but there are all laid out up front, there are no suprises. There are modest fees for testing a competitions and you have to purchase safety equipment if you wish to spar.

Comment

Fees for testing? Now we delve into a realm which I have issues. Why do schools charge for testing? I mean, if it's merely the formality to which we must adhere why throw money into the equation to taint the formality? Any fee for testing, in my opinion, is totally without honor and without reason. Just another money-making tool for martial arts "masters" who have schools full of clowns that hold black belts they paid out over a year or two. Nominal fees, indeed...the introduction of money in the arena of testing opened a door to the path of desecrating a decent idea (rank, that is) desigened merely to group individuals in areas to facilitate training. Have I ever paid for testing? Not at all. Any school that asks you to pay for your testing is scamming you out of your hard earned money and you should tell that teacher to take a hike and find yourself a real place to train.

Comment

$38,000 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by shemfu
            Fees for testing? Now we delve into a realm which I have issues. Why do schools charge for testing? I mean, if it's merely the formality to which we must adhere why throw money into the equation to taint the formality? Any fee for testing, in my opinion, is totally without honor and without reason. Just another money-making tool for martial arts "masters" who have schools full of clowns that hold black belts they paid out over a year or two. Nominal fees, indeed...the introduction of money in the arena of testing opened a door to the path of desecrating a decent idea (rank, that is) desigened merely to group individuals in areas to facilitate training. Have I ever paid for testing? Not at all. Any school that asks you to pay for your testing is scamming you out of your hard earned money and you should tell that teacher to take a hike and find yourself a real place to train.
            I disagree.

Comment

My friend, why is it that you disagree? What possible logical reason could there possibly be for charging someone to test? I never paid my schools to take a math test in high school.. Being promoted is something to take very seriously. It should not be taken lightly at all. But it is not something that should be paid for. Your dues are paid for in sweat and blood, training and discipline. The whole reason one would and should be on the testing block is because the instructor feels that he or she is fully prepared to be advanced in rank. The test is merely a method for ensuring that. Why is it that ordinary dues do not cover this test? After all, the practitioner is really learning no new material during this test....

Comment

Testing sessions may have another set time, time that the instructor has to set up over and above his regular class hours.

Don't generalize.

What Punisher said.

It also depends on the facilities made availible to the student with the money paid.
                Obviously the more extravagent the more expensive.
                Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

"After all, the practitioner is really learning no new material during this test...."
                  Or does he?
                  Failing would let you know where you need improvement.

Passing would let you know where you levels are and what you need for the next rank.
                  Assuming feedback from teacher.
                  Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Comment

True enough, but since when do we need extravagent facilities to test, let alone train? If you have a good trainer, then you already get the feedback you need. That's why I like Muay Thai. There is no belt system of ranking.. you are merely grouped in with people of similar experience levels in most schools i've been to. The only worry you should have is making your technique better and learning as much as you can.

Comment

Look at this fucker's gym! I hate this guy!

http://www.zanshin-dojo.de

"The only worry you should have is making your technique better and learning as much as you can."
                      For sure, finding your own path OWNS!!! (Well....I thought it was funny.)

Comment

Lucky me I can read German...lol NOT.. can u translate for me? i'm retarded lol

Comment

i'm retarded lol
                          And strangely still more intelligent than some other posters on this board.

Just look at the pics and stuff.

MrMcFu has a pretty damned sweet gym and pays a decent price for it too....
                          That bastard!

Comment

My friend, why is it that you disagree? What possible logical reason could there possibly be for charging someone to test? I never paid my schools to take a math test in high school.. Being promoted is something to take very seriously.
                            First of all, the "school test" analogy is not a good one, at least in my case. For a math test, one test is given generally to all the students in the class at the same time. The teacher does not necessarily have a vested interest in seeing you pass either. You cannot compare school with your martial arts training in this case.

It should not be taken lightly at all. But it is not something that should be paid for. Your dues are paid for in sweat and blood, training and discipline.
                            It seems you've forgotten about your instructor. What about HIS sweat, HIS blood? What about the times he had to motivate you, the times where you just couldn't get the technique so he worked with you until you did? Your instructor is a person too, with the same human desires as you, and he also lives in the same world as you, where you need money to get the things you need or want.

The whole reason one would and should be on the testing block is because the instructor feels that he or she is fully prepared to be advanced in rank. The test is merely a method for ensuring that.
                            This also does not apply to me. My instructor tests anyone who thinks they are ready for their blue belt and who want to be a part of his association, so he really does not necessarily know if you are ready for the test or not.

Why is it that ordinary dues do not cover this test? After all, the practitioner is really learning no new material during this test....
                            It's a matter of time committment. The instructor is taking time out of his day to test you personally. Also, just because you don't cover "new material" doesn't mean you don't pay for a class. Why should testing be any different?

Comment

"Any school that asks you to pay for your testing is scamming you out of your hard earned money and you should tell that teacher to take a hike and find yourself a real place to train."

I'd agree with you if I thought I wasn't getting my money's worth. As I said the fee is small, and I don't mind paying it. It takes time and effort to organize and conduct and proper testing, and my instructor and staff deserve to be compensated. What money that doesn't go to pay for the staff goes to purchase the belts for the people that pass.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X