Reading Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Materials

I am looking to increase my MA library. Since I am currently sidelined I have had more time for reading and have read my books several times each. Though I fully admit I pick up something new every time I read them I am looking for new sources. I have often found that a new book (if I find the book itself useful or not) helps me pick up on some subtles I missed before in other sources.

I am not really looking for mostly instructional books with a little history. (for example: "The Essence of Okinawan Karate-Do")

I am more looking for something along the lines of "Living the Martial Way" or "A Book of Five Rings (Go Rin No Sho)" .

Any suggestions?

Try "The Sword-Polisher's Record" by Adam Hsu (Hsu is
    a Mantis, Baji, Bagua guy who my own teachers speak
    of with GREAT respect). It's sortof an overview/principles
    kindof book. No instruction just a broad brush.

Also if you are into history you might try.. geez what is
    it.. "The Bodhisattva Warriors : The Origin,
    Inner Philosophy, History and Symbolism of
    the Buddhist Martial Art within India and China"
    by Nagaboshi Tomio. This is a really cool book
    that traces martial postures and symbolism from
    Hindu psychoreligous warrior practices all the way
    to Republican China and WW2 Japan.
    Controversial but very very thought provoking.
    Again it's a principles and big picture book, not
    a how-to manual.

Enjoy!
    let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

Comment

I have paperbacks of Karate-do, My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi and Zen in the Martial Arts. Both are good.

I like This is Karate by Masatatsu Oyama but it's 90% technique and expensive. Get it from a library (we have free interlibrary loan and can get almost anything). The chapters on his personal beliefs and philosophy are worth looking at. Being Zen/maturity/discipline challenged, I've read them over and over, hoping somehow it will rub off.
      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Predator training by Greg Jones.

Comment

Anything by Bruce Tegner:D

Comment

Zen and The Martial Arts Taisen Deshimura

Comment

i always look through all the second hand book stores in my area, you can find some good stuff now and then.
              CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

Kimura's "My Judo"

Comment

the Hagakure

Comment

MANCHURIA, nice sig, now when Blade hunts me down, i'm looking to Supertrolls for help, are you with me??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Edge
                      I have the Book of Five Rings and the Art of War in a computer file. You can probably find it too.

Another Suggestion: "Zen Combat" features Mas Oyama
                      Sorry, I cant remember the author right now.

I have The Five Rings, Art of War and Hagakure along with some of the others that have been posted or messaged to me and am looking at the rest. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!!!

Comment

Sidney Anglo's "The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe".

Gene "Aranha" Simco's "Brazilian Jiujitsu: The Master Text".
                        Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

Geoff Thompson

Geoff Thompson has some interesting things to say about self defense, not so much Martial Arts though.

Comment

"the unfettered mind" by takuan soho. it's a series of letters from a zen monk named takuan soho to a famous swordsman named yagyu munenori. historically, it was important in establishing the link between the zen mind and martial arts.

i also like "traditions" by dave lowry, though he is a bit extreme in his approach to martial arts.

if i ever come across a decent book in CMAs in english, i'll post that one right away!

Comment

The Zen Way to the MArtial Arts by Taisen Deshimaru, it's the updated edition of Zen and the Martial arts...I think.
                              "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
                              - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog shit on your shoe.-Ronin69

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X