Headbutting=neck and head trauma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headbutting=neck and head trauma?

Exactly how safe is headbutting? Are our glorious friends the Eritrean practitioners of Riesy/Testa and the Congolese practitioners of Gwindumulutu, as well as stylists and ordinary sportspeople and individuals from around the world doing themselves head spine neck and brain damage?

Or is this just Western prudishness that finds no real place in the harsh cultures of Africa and the streets of Glasgow?
    Last edited by Toby Christensen; 11/01/2003 3:54am, .
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

I have never heard of someone getting injured from performing a headbut....i have heard of many people who broke their hand doing a punch!!

I dont know, over time, if you headbutt ALLOT you mite notice a some dmg.....probably not as bad as if you got punched in the head allot....

Headbutting is safer then punching in my opinion....

But im no expert....and havn't done much headbutting so....

Comment

i remember screwing up a headbutt when i was really young, only lasting effect was a headache the next day.
      CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

I was screwing around with headbutts the other day, headbutting the heavy bag about fifteen times to see how far I could move it. I got a little bit of pain in my neck and upper back now from not having enough neck power to begin with and doing a few of them with incorrect form.

Comment

Just like anything else, there is a right and wrong way to head butt, if you don't know what you are doing you could hurt yourself.
          “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Headbutts have a lot going for them. You are hitting with something that is realtively heavy and the forehead is the one of if not the strongest bone in the body.

Before they were made illegal in Pride and other NHB competitions, fighters like Mark Kerr and Mark Coleman used them to great effect.

However, you are hitting someone with your head. I don't thnk it is likely that you'll break your neck doing a headbutt, but you better have some pretty impressive neck muscles, which most people don't.

I'm pretty sure its possible that you could give yourself a concussion headbutting someone in the wrong place. Not to mention the fact that even doing it right you may cut yourself and now blood is running into your eyes, but who needs to see during a life and death struggle anyway.

The main reason I don't advocate making headbutts a huge part of your arsenal is its basically the shortest ranged natrual weapon you have. I don't plan to use it much, because if I'm in a position to, I've already messed up.

Comment

Headbutts are my favourite attack. They are fight stoppers.

Why did the large MMA tournaments outlaw headbutts by the way? Surely it wouldn't be too harsh for a tournament that already encourages the fighters to hit people when they're down?

Comment

I hope everyone is training their neck muscles......

My favourite, and probably only one I would use, headbutt is where I clinch to control the guy's head and bring the top of my head downward into his face.

Other than that, everything else seems to be in order here.

Comment

A good headbutt, also from a clinch (under-over), is digonal down into the temple with the side of your forehead, while controlling the head from the other side. It disorients people, and once I've knocked someone out with it.

Works well from within the guard and from side control aparently, going by the early UFCs.
                  You say what about my rice?

Comment

The inclusion of heatbutts into the game should change clinchfighting quite a bit, now that I think about it. I haven't played with this yet, but it would seem that double underhooks, which is a very advantageous position without headbutts would now be dangereous, and not something you'd want to maintain.
                    You say what about my rice?

Comment

My instructor lent me a tape of a Russian MMA fight (AFC maybe?) that allowed headbutts. Drastically altered the entire game. I don't recall seeing a lot of it used in cliching, but from the guard people were getting the shit knocked out of them.
                      Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

Some interesting info on headbutts. It has to be considered though, as I already mentioned in some African nations headbutting IS the basis of their art. If they are using this as their primary attack, then how come they seem to enjoy success?
                        What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
                        http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

The bigger danger of headbutting is missing the "soft" spot of the face (right at the nose, where several facial bones come together) and hitting your opponent on their forehead....ouch.

Comment

I'm sure that's all nice and stuff but the idea of hitting with the object of the body you usually try to protect is still a bit odd for me. I hear head butting makes burmease boxing very interesting though.

Comment

It's fucking hilarious actually!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X