What to Make of This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to Make of This?

Ok, so I've been interested in this one school. It's an SBGi affliate gym. They offer MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (no gi) and some Karate (krotty) program for kids. They have very reasonable prices too. ( http://www.teamonemma.com/ )

The instructor has a black belt in American Combat Karate (lol combat krotty) and a bluebelt in BJJ under Mr. Human Weapon, Jason Chambers.

I love BJJ and want to get back into it. So I was pretty excited about classes. (still am, and have talked to him)

But then... I see this...

http://blogs.forumer.com/CombatGal/

And this person just trashes the instructor and the school, saying its all horrible training, and that the instructor is a sham.

What do I make of this? It sorta gave me 2nd thoughts, but I dont know.

Comment

They can't be too bad though, right? He has a bluebelt under Jason Chambers, who is a very talented BJJ fighter.

Comment

Also I thought SBGi doesnt put up with bullshit, so maybe that person just has a personal problem with the instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by KFighter
          Also I thought SBGi doesnt put up with bullshit, so maybe that person just has a personal problem with the instructor.

yea you can always find people with personal grudges. Their are some krotty freakaziods who have crappy striking but get good BBJ skills and then use that to boost their so called striking. It sucks, but it seems to be happening more.

BBJ instructors don't necessarily check their students stand-up before giving them rank ;)

Still always check before you sign

Comment

And all Im worried about is their BJJ. I dont plan on training striking there, just learning BJJ. Thats my goal.

Comment

Not sure where the "main" office is for SBGi , but you should be able to contact them and at least verify that this guy is certified to teach... it should all be good.

Comment

Ive sent an email.

Has anyone had experience with Team One?

Comment

An interesting note.

On the Human Weapon page, Jason Chambers says Shawn Terrance was pretty important in getting him into martial arts.

Comment

And all Im worried about is their BJJ. I dont plan on training striking there, just learning BJJ. Thats my goal.
                    How long have you been doing BJJ?

If you are interested in Gi and are blue belt, you might want to consider looking elsewhere?

Otherwise try out a class...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalRage
                      How long have you been doing BJJ?

If you are interested in Gi and are blue belt, you might want to consider looking elsewhere?

Otherwise try out a class...
                      No, I was only a very intermediate white belt, and gi/no gi doesnt matter to me. Just good BJJ training does.

Comment

Still waiting for an email for the regional director.

Comment

Still waiting for an email for the regional director.
                          Interesting, I would think they would be quick to answer this... of course it is the holidays and they may just running slow. :icon_sant

Comment

Dude, go to the school, ask if you can observe the class, and go from there. If they don't let you observe the class, then I shall advise you to go somewhere else. Ask them questions, and hope that they will be up front with you. It's ok to play Dick Tracy when it comes to someone potentially parting your money from you.

Comment

Got an email back from the regional director. He told me, only recently was he assigned to be director for the midwest. He said he asked Matt Thorton about the instructor and Matt said that he is "good and worth checking out".

So if he is vouched for by Matt Thorton, thats all the info I need.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X